Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

VikkiShields is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Yeah I was up with the little man. He not doing to good throwing up and wanting feeding 2 hourly. I always go on it when I on night duty.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:15 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VikkiShields
Yeah I was up with the little man. He not doing to good throwing up and wanting feeding 2 hourly. I always go on it when I on night duty.
Tiring stuff Vikki, hope he settles down soon.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

bagdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Those who weren't on my fitness or at the info evening, I'm Dave, married and we'll be taking our 2 yr old. 10 1/2 yrs in job all front line.

Out of curiosity, how much $$$ will people be taking with them?
We have a figure in our head of what our savings will be but I'm not sure if it will be enough ?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

fadsie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If im lucky enough I will be paying a months accomodation and then taking a months wage over mate. May have to slum it to begin with but a friend over there recently said he got paid 2 weeks after he started so hopefully wont have to wait for to long. I would love to take more but just can't see how. Its expensive
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Irishcop is an unknown quantity at this point

See I was wondering the exact same thing. How far in advance would people be thinking of goin out to try and find accommodation etc? Obviously while out there and not workin we wud be spending and not earning
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

I will probably rent a room from over here so I could pay a month and know I have a roof over my head and move there 1 or 2 weeks beforr starting.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bagdog
Those who weren't on my fitness or at the info evening, I'm Dave, married and we'll be taking our 2 yr old. 10 1/2 yrs in job all front line.

Out of curiosity, how much $$$ will people be taking with them?
We have a figure in our head of what our savings will be but I'm not sure if it will be enough ?
Even though you will be coming over to a job, the more money you can bring the easier it will be obviously.

Not sure what accommodation you are sorting out - we stayed in a holiday let for the first few weeks whilst looking for long term rental, which was paid for in advance. Spent $5.5k on car, $2.5k deposit on rental, and another couple of k on phones, rego, license and bits and pieces waiting for container to arrive from UK (we sent container 5 weeks ahead of us, and got it back 5 weeks after arriving) and customs fees / AQIS inspection for container release

Paid from UK before leaving were temp accommodation $2.5k (Adelaide is cheaper than Perth I think) and shipping 4kGBP

I get paid monthly here, 2 weeks in arrears, 2 weeks in advance. Some jobs pay fortnightly and some weekly so hopefully you wont have to wait too long for money coming in

Temp accom sites - Homeaway, Stays and AirBnB. Long term - Realestate.com.au

Hope that helps
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

bagdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that taking into account the rental bond ? They can be around $2000, then some places, and then a month up front, so can easily be $4000 for your first months rental and bond.

If we go as early as April, we will have around $10k, if September could be over $20k depending how quickly we sell the house.

My mate who's been there 6 years says that some people went over with nothing and survived. Once the wages start rolling in you'll be fine.

It will take a couple of months to figure out the right places to shop etc.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:06 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm successful, we'd be looking at going about a month before starting at the academy to get us and the kids settled, sort out a rental, cars, school for our eldest, and have a bit of time exploring a bit of WA and all it has to offer.

We are fortunate that my wife is getting ill health retirement, and with that comes a lump sum. While nice now, it's one part of our retirement fund that we won't have when we both stop working, so it's got to be used sparingly, and as a deposit for a house when the time comes.

We are working on a minimum budget of £10k to get us over there (flights, visas, container, rental deposit etc) but that gets spent very quickly, and I think more realistically it'll be nearer £15k, but there is 4 of us!

The difficulty is renting unfurnished and waiting for the container. How little can you make do with while waiting for your furniture, crockery/cutlery, clothes etc to arrive? I know the wife and I could live on a cheap mattress on the floor, and a couple of bean bags in the lounge, but with kids it's different. We don't want to be spending $$$ unnecessarily. It's a big juggling act and I'm sure everything will fall into place, but there's so much to think of.

I rang our mortgage company yesterday to see if we could have permission to rent. Shouldn't be a problem, but a yearly agreement will cost £1,250! The rent will cover the mortgage and the management fees, but that yearly agreement will have to be found by us. Not that I'm expecting anything to go wrong should we make it over there, but it's peace of mind having somewhere to come back to if the worst did happen. Also, there's so little equity in our place, that we might as well hang on to it and see if things go up in the next few years.

So much to think about, I can see a long list being drawn up if the 'yes' email comes through in the next few weeks!!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

I am quite fortunate in the respect that me and my partner will happily rent a room in a house for around $200 p/w and I can pay that up front from the uk before I come. I have nothing to ship over going to start again out there and at the moment no kids so I should be able to do it all relatively cheaply. Just got to get the nod now
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Irishcop is an unknown quantity at this point

Are u thinkin jondaloop for ur room rental initially or the district u get and travel?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gregster10217
If I'm successful, we'd be looking at going about a month before starting at the academy to get us and the kids settled, sort out a rental, cars, school for our eldest, and have a bit of time exploring a bit of WA and all it has to offer.

We are fortunate that my wife is getting ill health retirement, and with that comes a lump sum. While nice now, it's one part of our retirement fund that we won't have when we both stop working, so it's got to be used sparingly, and as a deposit for a house when the time comes.

We are working on a minimum budget of £10k to get us over there (flights, visas, container, rental deposit etc) but that gets spent very quickly, and I think more realistically it'll be nearer £15k, but there is 4 of us!

The difficulty is renting unfurnished and waiting for the container. How little can you make do with while waiting for your furniture, crockery/cutlery, clothes etc to arrive? I know the wife and I could live on a cheap mattress on the floor, and a couple of bean bags in the lounge, but with kids it's different. We don't want to be spending $$$ unnecessarily. It's a big juggling act and I'm sure everything will fall into place, but there's so much to think of.

I rang our mortgage company yesterday to see if we could have permission to rent. Shouldn't be a problem, but a yearly agreement will cost £1,250! The rent will cover the mortgage and the management fees, but that yearly agreement will have to be found by us. Not that I'm expecting anything to go wrong should we make it over there, but it's peace of mind having somewhere to come back to if the worst did happen. Also, there's so little equity in our place, that we might as well hang on to it and see if things go up in the next few years.

So much to think about, I can see a long list being drawn up if the 'yes' email comes through in the next few weeks!!
Not sure you'll get everything in GBP10k - visas for 4 is around $7k or a little over GBP4k, you'll be looking at around GBP3k for flights, 4k for shipping which has you at 11k without rental, car, etc
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future

If I get the nod then the house gets sold ASAP. Got some equity in that and if it sells quick we can move in with my folks and keep the saving going.

I also have family in Perth so the plan is I'll come over for the transitional course and stay with them. Then Mrs Bosch and kids can follow when the course is done and we can look in to rentals. Going to be tough but having s place to stay is a huge Bonus.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:34 am
Living the dream in WA

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure you'll get everything in GBP10k - visas for 4 is around $7k or a little over GBP4k, you'll be looking at around GBP3k for flights, 4k for shipping which has you at 11k without rental, car, etc
Yep, you're right, but we require one visa less as I have Australian Citizenship, so that's the best part of a couple of grand saved.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

I am thinking joondalup or as near to the training school as possible. Then I would have time to find something better. I am budgeting the cost seperate from the visa. I know that if I get through them I will need about 3000 by end of November for visa. Then after that its just save as much as possible. I hope I can save between 5 and 700 p/m after visa so will be near the 4000 mark come april time. Put it this way if I get a yes then this Christmas is cancelled lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.