Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Originally Posted by VikkiShields
Hi we are looking at taking a container over with bikes and bike carrier kids toys and scooters pushchair cot's beds etc. before we had the baby we were just going to replace things but now we taking clothes over for the next year as they are expensive. I been told to take tags and packaging off anything new as they charge you tax on it when it gets to oz. I also was told scrub everything till its spotless which is going to be hard with our bike carriers as its been to many a festival and been pushed and dragged through many muddy fields typical English weather.
Vikki if you live up north you could just remove the seats from the bikes, stand them upside down and leave them outside for a few days of British weather and they should be spotless!

With a quick release seat post the job is done in less than a minute and you would be using rain water, the environmentalists will love ya!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Hi we are looking at taking a container over with bikes and bike carrier kids toys and scooters pushchair cot's beds etc. before we had the baby we were just going to replace things but now we taking clothes over for the next year as they are expensive. I been told to take tags and packaging off anything new as they charge you tax on it when it gets to oz. I also was told scrub everything till its spotless which is going to be hard with our bike carriers as its been to many a festival and been pushed and dragged through many muddy fields typical English weather.
Technically you should declare, and they will charge you duty on, anything less than 12 months old.
In practice if you are shipping a container of household goods unless the stuff is expensive - dishwashers/washing machines etc - and looks new and unused they aren't likely to ask, so take tags off, remove new stuff from boxes and you should be ok.

Anything with soil/mud on needs a thorough clean or AQIS will charge you for cleaning it for you! You will also need to declare anything made of wood, and if its untreated it may not be allowed in - things like souvenirs from Thailand or India, for example, where the wood is untreated and may contain pests.

only other advice I'd give re shipping is bring everything you can! Replacing stuff here is expensive, especially when you are new and don't know your way around. Its the stuff you don't think about like kitchen utensils and bedding, that soon adds up.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

VikkiShields is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dinger Bell
Vikki if you live up north you could just remove the seats from the bikes, stand them upside down and leave them outside for a few days of British weather and they should be spotless!

With a quick release seat post the job is done in less than a minute and you would be using rain water, the environmentalists will love ya!
I live north east so might just so that. The rain can do some good for a change.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

I live north east so might just so that. The rain can do some good for a change.
I guess that means you live in South Shields? We have spent many a pleasant Sunday at the fair beside the beach.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Adix2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm Amy. 28 and subject to being accepted will be moving over with my husband Andy and our lovely daughter Ivy who's 7 months old. I really want to take our dog Lola. She's only 3 years old. I've been in a Humberside a Police for 9 years and I'm a DC. This is a big move for my husband. He totally loves his job as a fireman. He's 38. I hope we all get to meet for group drink in Perth. :-)
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Shell_G is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's a yes, it's going to be myself, my husband and our son. We're both 7 years in the PSNI, though my husband has had to do all the hard work on this one due to me being pregnant. It's an odd feeling watching all this go on and not have been able to apply myself!
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:58 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Amy, if you are successful your hubby will essentially get a PR visa and will be able to apply for jobs over there. Unless he is going to be a stay at home hubby, he'll be able to apply for a job as a fireman over there.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Adix2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon as we hear (if it's good news) he is going to contact the fire service over there and see if there is any method of transferring in. Failing that he will apply when we are there there is no way he would want to be a stay at home husband. We wouldn't be able to afford our luxury beach house and pool :-)
Old Oct 6th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Irishcop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shell_G
If it's a yes, it's going to be myself, my husband and our son. We're both 7 years in the PSNI, though my husband has had to do all the hard work on this one due to me being pregnant. It's an odd feeling watching all this go on and not have been able to apply myself!

Shell I sent u a pm
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Layla_k is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Getting to know your potential WAPOL colleagues...

Hi everyone, I've just received my 'yes e-mail' today after checking my inbox about 100 times a day since my physical on 2nd september....seems like an eternity of waiting! A friend recommended this site so I thought I'd have a look.

I figured this was a good post to introduce myself....I'm female, 30 and single, with no children. I will hopefully be making the move with my flatmate providing all the checks go ok.

Congratulations to all of those through and fingers crossed to those still waiting
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Aussie2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, just to introduce myself i'm a 27yr old male, who is in the latter stages of the recruitment process to join WAPOL (fingers crossed). I will be making the move by myself. Got my confirmation I had passed the final interview/physical assessment a few days ago. Now just in the process of doing medical and background checks. Just a quick one on the medical, does anyone know what the 'REG:' stands for on the 2nd page of the medical form, in the 'Personal Details/Service History section. It is probably something simple, but for the life of me i can't think what it stands for other than maybe your NHS number or something similar? Anyone able to shed any light on it for me please? Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:00 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Aussie, nice to have another in the fold. I've been at work all day so not really had a chance to have a good look at the medical from, but if I figure it out before you get an answer I'll let you know.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Aussie2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gregster10217
Welcome Aussie, nice to have another in the fold. I've been at work all day so not really had a chance to have a good look at the medical from, but if I figure it out before you get an answer I'll let you know.
Thanks mate. Appreciate it. Liking this forum, only just discovered it today. Glad i did, be good getting to know everyone beforehand.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:14 pm
Living the dream in WA

I've just started a thread for help with the next stage. Hopefully there'll be some answers in there for all of us.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Irishcop is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering that exact same thing today :-/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.