An Garda Siochana

Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Caigie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An Garda Siochana

Hi there..... Has any UK officer made the switch from the UK to An Garda Siochana in Ireland. My wife is from there and we are looking to move there pretty soon and would love to hear the experiences (both good and bad) of any officer who has made the jump across

Thanks

Caigie
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:16 am
Just Joined

mm.ie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An Garda Siochana

Hi Caigie,
I am a member of An Garda Síochána and as far as I am aware there is no possibility of you transferring across with service or any credit for your service in the UK.

You could do this with the PSNI but the Garda has no procedure for this in place and so if you are junior enough it won't bother you to start from the start but be warned - student Gardaí are paid very little for the first 15 months of college.

Give me a shout if you want more info, although I’m not really that well up on recruitment stuff at the moment.

mm.ie
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Liehtzu is an unknown quantity at this point

As an alternative you might think of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission. Its Investigation Division acts as a police unit carrying all the powers of a member of An Garda Síochána. About 80% of it’s investigators are police, mainly from Commonwealth countries with a fair smattering of Britons, including the Director. http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

scuffer999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caigie
Hi there..... Has any UK officer made the switch from the UK to An Garda Siochana in Ireland. My wife is from there and we are looking to move there pretty soon and would love to hear the experiences (both good and bad) of any officer who has made the jump across

Thanks

Caigie
Hi Caigie,
sorry to reply to your e mail so late but this is the info I have. I telephoned An Garda Siochana on a number of occasions enquiring about the prospect of transferring as a UK officer. I spoke to some great people who stated that in the Irish Parliament steps had been taken to allow the international transfer and recruitment of foreign Police Officers. I was initially elated to hear of this.

I then sent Garda commissioner Conroy an e mail outlining a case for allowing British Officers to transfer quoting the successful systems in place with Australian law enforcement and canadian law enforcement recruiting officers from the UK with excellent results. I received a reply stating that they would consider and investigate the prospect.

I also sent a letter to the justice minister (Tánaiste') and he also stated it was under consideration.

Eventually I got a reply stating that they had considered my proposal but felt that it was something they may consider in the future but at this stage were not going to go forward with it. So the current position remains; That if you want to become a Gardai you must start from scratch.

It is true that you can transfer to PSNI, but PSNI are only recruiting Sergeants from mainland Britain at the moment. The only real positive response I got was from the Belfast Harbour Police. But I decided against that. But I do believe that they were very interested in recruiting officers from the mainland at PC rank.

Hope this has been of help to you. If you need anymore info let me know.

Cheers, Steve.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:32 am
Just Joined

mitch-innes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mm.ie
Hi Caigie,
I am a member of An Garda Síochána and as far as I am aware there is no possibility of you transferring across with service or any credit for your service in the UK.

You could do this with the PSNI but the Garda has no procedure for this in place and so if you are junior enough it won't bother you to start from the start but be warned - student Gardaí are paid very little for the first 15 months of college.

Give me a shout if you want more info, although I’m not really that well up on recruitment stuff at the moment.

mm.ie
hi, im a uk serving police officer and and making the moving back home to Ireland. I know that i will have to start all over again but do you have any ideas of pay and if i can request specific areas to work in (ei Naas, Co. Kildare) the working conditions and ideas of shifts etc. would really appreciate anything you can let me know extra as it is vey hard to extract information from anywhere.
kind regards
Mitch