Frontex Border Guard

Old Jan 21st 2020, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat092 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frontex Border Guard

Best of luck to do you bud 😁. Btw this group is a really good idea. I've been going through frontex Facebook. Twitter and LinkedIn forinfo.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Can anyone have a guess as to why it says in the selection notice that basic entry is contract and intermediate and advanced are temporary.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Stanx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BillTheGreek
hi there,
i prepare myself using the platform TOEIC for B2 level. I have no information about the format of Frontex English exams. TOEIC come from HELLENIC-AMERICAN UNION and used to prepare students and candidates who want to take place on contest in abroad. Of course British Council is more official than the Union. In any case the English language is same everywhere but The level of difficulty maybe is different between the foundations.
Thanks for your answer.
Yes... Some aspects are very detailed some are too sumarized in the notice.
Anyways, I've reviewed it today (the intermediate) and my understanding is that the payment its net. So expressed after all taxes and other retainers.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lenka01
And how are you preparing yourself for the exam?
It's unfair an English native speaker applying for this job. If it were up to me Your language test would be in Greek
I'm sure the situps are un Greek!... πŸ˜€β˜€οΈ
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tkadunc
Hey guys! A candidate from Slovenia here.
So first the English test. Before I was first deployed (as a national police officer) to one of the Frontex Joint Operations we had to do an English test in the police academy that was later submitted to Frontex. Later in my career when I was deployed again (but not as part of Frontex Joint Operations) I had to go through an English test yet again, but this time they hired/paid The British Council who provided a supervisor to be present at the police academy when we were going through the online testing. Frontex also has Partnership academies all over the EU (including Slovenia) so I think it will be something similar to what I went through when I did the second test.

I get the whole 0.68 dilemma, but there's one other thing about the pay that I can't figure out or find any information about - how much is the deployment allowance? It says in the selection notice that border guards will be deployed throughout their careers and that one of the applicable allowances is the deployment allowance, however, there is no information on how much that would be. Anyone got any information about that?
Thanks for your mentions about the language!
After reading again the notice (intermediate) in my understanding there won't be any other deductions from the net salary.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

On page 8/14 of the intermediate selection notice, The pay is a strange one and seems to be worded in a weird way,

It does state that first it is the final net calculation followed by "1. Basic net/payable salary (after all deductions, contributions and taxes are applied)" but,

I am not sure if that actually means that you do not have to take into account the 0.68 with the salary or just the monthly allowances.The section that states"The remuneration is expressed in EUR, after the compulsory deductions set out in the Staff Regulations or in any implementing regulations is weighted by the correction coefficient for the place of employment which is Poland (currently 68.6). It can be paid either in EUR or in PLN according to a fixed exchange rate (currently 4.3631 PLN/EUR)",

I think this really does mean that it will come down to your salary x 0.68 which in this case is 2416 x 0.68= 1642.88 a month which is not great at all by western EU standards.

On this article https://www.swp-berlin.org/10.18449/2019C47/ which is dated Dec 2019 (which is a very interesting read) mentions,

"Moreover, the EU is concerned that there will be an insufficient response to Frontex’s new job advertisements. Applicants may not be sufficiently qualified and/or not all Member States may be represented equally, not least because employees in Warsaw (where the agency is based) receive below-average pay compared to other European countries. Salaries for EU employees are offset using a correction coefficient depending on the cost of living compared to Belgium and Luxembourg; in the case of Poland it is about 30 percent lower."

Will we definitely need more clarification.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat092; Jan 21st 2020 at 9:53 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Chantal F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fudokanconway
On page 8/14 of the intermediate selection notice, The pay is a strange one and seems to be worded in a weird way,

It does state that first it is the final net calculation followed by "1. Basic net/payable salary (after all deductions, contributions and taxes are applied)" but,

I am not sure if that actually means that you do not have to take into account the 0.68 with the salary or just the monthly allowances.The section that states"The remuneration is expressed in EUR, after the compulsory deductions set out in the Staff Regulations or in any implementing regulations is weighted by the correction coefficient for the place of employment which is Poland (currently 68.6). It can be paid either in EUR or in PLN according to a fixed exchange rate (currently 4.3631 PLN/EUR)",

I think this really does mean that it will come down to your salary x 0.68 which in this case is 2416 x 0.68= 1642.88 a month which is not great at all by western EU standards.

On this article https://www.swp-berlin.org/10.18449/2019C47/ which is dated Dec 2019 (which is a very interesting read) mentions,

"Moreover, the EU is concerned that there will be an insufficient response to Frontex’s new job advertisements. Applicants may not be sufficiently qualified and/or not all Member States may be represented equally, not least because employees in Warsaw (where the agency is based) receive below-average pay compared to other European countries. Salaries for EU employees are offset using a correction coefficient depending on the cost of living compared to Belgium and Luxembourg; in the case of Poland it is about 30 percent lower."

Will we definitely need more clarification.
Exactly...its not clear in the selection notice and I have read articles as well that put up questions about the salary....that is why I was also confused....
And they say "net", but that is also dependant on your national authorities in my opinion.

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

AntoU is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Just joined..

I am an Italian police officer with military background who's applied to ecbg "advanced" position and, as all the other members of this forum, I'm waiting to know if and when the English language test will eventually be.
I have read some of the previous posts but, at this stage, it looks to me quite premature to go into more details than what has been already provided about remuneration, taxation, allowances etc...
Of course, if the final stage will be reached and before signing an employment contract, all such aspects need to be fully clarified.

At the moment, though, would be enough for me to know more about the forthcoming English, physical tests interview etc. and for this reason I really appreciate the idea of this forum in which we can easily share information.

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Chantal F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AntoU
Hi all,

Just joined..

I am an Italian police officer with military background who's applied to ecbg "advanced" position and, as all the other members of this forum, I'm waiting to know if and when the English language test will eventually be.
I have read some of the previous posts but, at this stage, it looks to me quite premature to go into more details than what has been already provided about remuneration, taxation, allowances etc...
Of course, if the final stage will be reached and before signing an employment contract, all such aspects need to be fully clarified.

At the moment, though, would be enough for me to know more about the forthcoming English, physical tests interview etc. and for this reason I really appreciate the idea of this forum in which we can easily share information.
Hi Anto,

I do not think it is premature to go into details....
Many of us have to prepare a lot for the recruitment process....practicing English, training for the physical exercise etc, not to mention the fact that you also will have to travel to Poland on your own expenses if you come through the English test.
For that matter, I think it is important whether or not the salary will be competitive.
To speak for myself: I am not gonna leave my steady police job with a decent salary, pension etc for a job with a limited contract and a non competitive salary and above that taking the risk of being fired during the trial period of 9 Months if the salary is hardly enough to cover my life expenses anyway. The salary is not THE most important thing but in my opinion it is important enough to know this before going through this whole process.

The details about the physical test are described quite detailed in the Selection documents.
English test I do not know but it would be wise to practice with some tools mentioned here before on the forum.
The interview.... I do not know what to expect....
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

gpiper is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to see conversation going strong. After all the chat about the pay I read again the initial document and I have to agree with some people here that it appears that numbers shown are the final numbers we should be getting paid. I also agree we have plenty of time to worry about that later on in the process. My main concern at the moment is getting my physical up to scratch with the number of push ups expected seeming a bit steep to me. Anyone with advice please feel free to PM me. Taxes wise as we discussed that as well I found this interesting bit in the original document

"Staff pays an EU tax at source and deductions are also made for medical insurance, pension and unemployment
insurance. Salaries are exempt from national taxes. The rate of the solidarity levy is 6 %."

This definitely agrees with for example the bilateral agreement Poland and Greece has to avoid double taxation where service to government entities is taxed at source irrespective of residency. Finally Frontex released their annual brief which makes an interesting read for us looking to join it in the future:

https://frontex.europa.eu/assets/Pub...ebsite_002.pdf

Have a great day everyone from sunny but cold Greece!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chantal F
Hi Anto,

I do not think it is premature to go into details....
Many of us have to prepare a lot for the recruitment process....practicing English, training for the physical exercise etc, not to mention the fact that you also will have to travel to Poland on your own expenses if you come through the English test.
For that matter, I think it is important whether or not the salary will be competitive.
To speak for myself: I am not gonna leave my steady police job with a decent salary, pension etc for a job with a limited contract and a non competitive salary and above that taking the risk of being fired during the trial period of 9 Months if the salary is hardly enough to cover my life expenses anyway. The salary is not THE most important thing but in my opinion it is important enough to know this before going through this whole process.

The details about the physical test are described quite detailed in the Selection documents.
English test I do not know but it would be wise to practice with some tools mentioned here before on the forum.
The interview.... I do not know what to expect....
I Chantal

I totally agree with your point because I am in the same situation with the same worries. "I won't gonna leave my current job with a decent salary, pension etc for a job with a limited contract and a non competitive salary and above that taking the risk of being fired if the salary is hardly enough to cover my life expenses anyway" .
What I wanted to say is that I prefer to deal with them at a later stage if and when I will be able to go through the earlier ones.

BTW from what I know the travel expenses and other subsistence allowance required to attend tests/interview etc. will be all refunded...
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

I Chantal

I totally agree with your point because I am in the same situation with the same worries. "I won't gonna leave my current job with a decent salary, pension etc for a job with a limited contract and a non competitive salary and above that taking the risk of being fired if the salary is hardly enough to cover my life expenses anyway" .
What I wanted to say is that I prefer to deal with them at a later stage if and when I will be able to go through the earlier ones.

BTW from what I know the travel expenses and other subsistence allowance required to attend tests/interview etc. will be all refunded...
How do you know that? Have you got a link to show or is that from previous experience?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gpiper
How do you know that? Have you got a link to show or is that from previous experience?
Among the documents listed in the Frontex Open Selection Procedures page there is the "reimbursement of travel and subsistence expenses" form that should apply (frontex.europa.eu/assets/Careers/Application_for_reimbursement_of_travel_and_subsis tence_expenses.docx).

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Among the documents listed in the Frontex Open Selection Procedures page there is the "reimbursement of travel and subsistence expenses" form that should apply (frontex.europa.eu/assets/Careers/Application_for_reimbursement_of_travel_and_subsis tence_expenses.docx).

awesome thanks!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hello everyone, πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚
First of all let me also say in plain B2 English - this is an excelent thread! πŸ§²πŸ›‚πŸ›ƒ
I can only hope it will last during the selection process and I'm sure Frontex is here (among other watchers) to retain comments, ideas and concerns. πŸ§πŸ€—
Fact is transparency can never fail. 🍸🎯
And we'll done George for opening this thread!
Chapeau bas! 🎩🎩
I'm a counterterrorism intelligence officer (15 years), military academy graduate, with a relevant operational experience in Africa (6 years). 🦏🐘🐊 Then I thought "let me rest a bit" ..
Just when I was starting figuring out how the private sector works and struggling with the market, myself and everyone else about biz development, internationalization and smart specialization I ve received this link about the Frontex Standing Corps.
Now I'm trying to retrain the race horse to be fit for his qualifying season... :-)
Am I totally wrong if I say most of us are motivated by "being part of (this) history" and a different paradigm of tackling the way plan to protect Europe? Because this is the main driver for me.
Red through Frontex new regulation and found it as being a fairly good lean strategy with the provision of reassessment in 2024 - not far - in all its aspects.
I believe we should trust they will know how to pay, equip and train their guards to be more than some of those smiling "bullet catchers" we all have met from time to time ... :-)

So what I'm trying to say is hat off to the thread and feeds of information and articles, keep practicing those situps in 60 secs and break a leg everyone! 🎲🎲🎲

I sincerely wish all of us pass through this first selection process!
​​

Last edited by Stanx; Jan 22nd 2020 at 2:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.