Frontex Border Guard

Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Chantal F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frontex Border Guard

Originally Posted by Dozex
Hello gents!
I see you guys already make inquiries about wages, but my question is did you guys receive the email to join the next phase?
Well...."already"....
The remuneration is quite a big thing. If the salary is multiplied by 0,68 it might not even be worth going through the whole procedure, in case invited.

So seems to be important to have clearness on this this beforehand...
Indeed I think the e-mails will be sent out end of January.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

gpiper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chantal F
Well...."already"....
The remuneration is quite a big thing. If the salary is multiplied by 0,68 it might not even be worth going through the whole procedure, in case invited.

So seems to be important to have clearness on this this beforehand...
Indeed I think the e-mails will be sent out end of January.
I don't know, I doubt the 0.68 will be the case. This would not make it competitive and EU jobs are traditionally well paid. Can't see career ex-military/police leaving their jobs for this unless from Eastern Europe perhaps where salaries are lower. This would limit their pool. Everything in their job ad has been quite clear so doubt they would hide something this big in the small letters.

I agree end of January is the most prob date for email to go out with physical invites being sent out mid-Feb to go to Warsaw beginning of March. Hope so anyways so I can get my fitness up to required standard.

Would be nice to know if physical and interviews will take place on same visit or whether we would have to go back again for interviews.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gpiper
I don't know, I doubt the 0.68 will be the case. This would not make it competitive and EU jobs are traditionally well paid. Can't see career ex-military/police leaving their jobs for this unless from Eastern Europe perhaps where salaries are lower. This would limit their pool. Everything in their job ad has been quite clear so doubt they would hide something this big in the small letters.

I agree end of January is the most prob date for email to go out with physical invites being sent out mid-Feb to go to Warsaw beginning of March. Hope so anyways so I can get my fitness up to required standard.

Would be nice to know if physical and interviews will take place on same visit or whether we would have to go back again for interviews.

If I dig into Frontex a bit more, I find quite many reports on discussions about the salary, and is that the salary is not competitive. It is not in any way the same level as the normal EU salaries.
Quotes like:
In terms of recruitment of Frontex staff: Several issues have been hampering the effective recruitment of the increasing staff for Frontex: The salary "correction coefficient" applied to Warsaw means that salaries offered by Frontex are lower and hardly competitive for highly skilled staff.

and:

The main reason for these problems of recruitment is generally believed to be the relatively low salary levels. As the seat of FRONTEX is in Warsaw, the salary levels are adjusted according to a ‘correction coefficient’ that takes into account the variations in living costs across the EU.

I agree with you that if the salary would be multiplied by 0,68, this is not at all competitive for Western European ex-Military/police that quit their jobs with all risks involved. The pool would indeed be quite limited and in my opinion, this is not fair. The cost of living and a house/mortgage to pay in the country of origin are much higher in West than in East Europe. The salaries are higher as well so why would the older/advanced police officers from Western Europe quit their jobs if the salary is not competitive..?
This seemed to be the main problem for Frontex in the past, considering what I found in open sources. But perhaps this has improved in the mean time. To me it is not entirely clear in the Application documents. Neither is clear to me what the tax policy means in practice. They say the salary is net, but where do you pay tax? If I am still a resident of my country of origin, what are the consequences? I might also still have to pay tax in my own country? We are not going to emigrate, we are still residents of our countries of origin which has, at least in my country, consequences for tax paying. I asked my local police authorities about this, but they do not have an answer to that. I am asking the tax authorities now, but the question does not seem to be that simple. I am surpised that nothing is said about that in the application documents. Maybe I am thinking too far, but it is quite a procedure to go through and these things are quite important before going into such a procedure.

I do not know if the physical tests will be held at the same time as the interviews. Would be convenient though. Maybe you will learn more about that in the first mail.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

gpiper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chantal F
If I dig into Frontex a bit more, I find quite many reports on discussions about the salary, and is that the salary is not competitive. It is not in any way the same level as the normal EU salaries.
Quotes like:
In terms of recruitment of Frontex staff: Several issues have been hampering the effective recruitment of the increasing staff for Frontex: The salary "correction coefficient" applied to Warsaw means that salaries offered by Frontex are lower and hardly competitive for highly skilled staff.

and:

The main reason for these problems of recruitment is generally believed to be the relatively low salary levels. As the seat of FRONTEX is in Warsaw, the salary levels are adjusted according to a ‘correction coefficient’ that takes into account the variations in living costs across the EU.

I agree with you that if the salary would be multiplied by 0,68, this is not at all competitive for Western European ex-Military/police that quit their jobs with all risks involved. The pool would indeed be quite limited and in my opinion, this is not fair. The cost of living and a house/mortgage to pay in the country of origin are much higher in West than in East Europe. The salaries are higher as well so why would the older/advanced police officers from Western Europe quit their jobs if the salary is not competitive..?
This seemed to be the main problem for Frontex in the past, considering what I found in open sources. But perhaps this has improved in the mean time. To me it is not entirely clear in the Application documents. Neither is clear to me what the tax policy means in practice. They say the salary is net, but where do you pay tax? If I am still a resident of my country of origin, what are the consequences? I might also still have to pay tax in my own country? We are not going to emigrate, we are still residents of our countries of origin which has, at least in my country, consequences for tax paying. I asked my local police authorities about this, but they do not have an answer to that. I am asking the tax authorities now, but the question does not seem to be that simple. I am surpised that nothing is said about that in the application documents. Maybe I am thinking too far, but it is quite a procedure to go through and these things are quite important before going into such a procedure.

I do not know if the physical tests will be held at the same time as the interviews. Would be convenient though. Maybe you will learn more about that in the first mail.
I am not surprised they do not go into taxation in the application documents. It is because it is a nightmare. It is not decided by EU law but rather by bilateral agreements between two countries. The one you reside and work in and the one you originate from. First you have to establish there is such a bilateral agreement for the avoidance of double taxation between Poland and your country. Then you read it very carefully to see where you will end up paying taxes. Best thing you can do is seek the advice of a good tax accountant with specific knowledge in international matters.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Tugapolice is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not surprised they do not go into taxation in the application documents. It is because it is a nightmare. It is not decided by EU law but rather by bilateral agreements between two countries. The one you reside and work in and the one you originate from. First you have to establish there is such a bilateral agreement for the avoidance of double taxation between Poland and your country. Then you read it very carefully to see where you will end up paying taxes. Best thing you can do is seek the advice of a good tax accountant with specific knowledge in international matters.
Good morning all. I think the taxation wont be a problem, cause im pretty sure that most of european countries has similar legislation in the subject of where you are considered resident. Starting the contract in may, you will be considered resident in poland since youll be there for at least 183 days. So you cant be taxed in your country, at least is what i think
Old Jan 20th 2020, 10:46 am
Just Joined

BillTheGreek is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there.
the first step is the English test. I noticed that they write on-line exercises by external provider. Do you have any idea or informations how it works?
thanks
Bill
Old Jan 20th 2020, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tugapolice
Good morning all. I think the taxation wont be a problem, cause im pretty sure that most of european countries has similar legislation in the subject of where you are considered resident. Starting the contract in may, you will be considered resident in poland since youll be there for at least 183 days. So you cant be taxed in your country, at least is what i think

Unfortunately I think it is not that simple. But I should consult a tax consultant I guess...
Old Jan 20th 2020, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

True, but they should mention this in some way in the application documents. They say : "Net salary, after all deductions" which is not always the case. Indeed do I have to consult someone with specific knowlegde on these matters. And not only me I guess, since it is different for everyone and indeed a nightmare..:-)
Old Jan 20th 2020, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Stanx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BillTheGreek
hi there.
the first step is the English test. I noticed that they write on-line exercises by external provider. Do you have any idea or informations how it works?
thanks
Bill
I'm also interested to know.
I'm using a British Council app called EnglishScore to test myself. Please share if you know of any other CEFR testing platform?
Old Jan 20th 2020, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

tkadunc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys! A candidate from Slovenia here.
So first the English test. Before I was first deployed (as a national police officer) to one of the Frontex Joint Operations we had to do an English test in the police academy that was later submitted to Frontex. Later in my career when I was deployed again (but not as part of Frontex Joint Operations) I had to go through an English test yet again, but this time they hired/paid The British Council who provided a supervisor to be present at the police academy when we were going through the online testing. Frontex also has Partnership academies all over the EU (including Slovenia) so I think it will be something similar to what I went through when I did the second test.

I get the whole 0.68 dilemma, but there's one other thing about the pay that I can't figure out or find any information about - how much is the deployment allowance? It says in the selection notice that border guards will be deployed throughout their careers and that one of the applicable allowances is the deployment allowance, however, there is no information on how much that would be. Anyone got any information about that?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:50 am
Just Joined

BillTheGreek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stanx
I'm also interested to know.
I'm using a British Council app called EnglishScore to test myself. Please share if you know of any other CEFR testing platform?
hi there,
i prepare myself using the platform TOEIC for B2 level. I have no information about the format of Frontex English exams. TOEIC come from HELLENIC-AMERICAN UNION and used to prepare students and candidates who want to take place on contest in abroad. Of course British Council is more official than the Union. In any case the English language is same everywhere but The level of difficulty maybe is different between the foundations.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat092 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Irish national here currently serving in the military,

Eagerly awaiting the email about the up coming English test too. Hopefully they are clearer in future emails about what the exact pay will be.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Lenka01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fudokanconway
Hi Guys,

Irish national here currently serving in the military,

Eagerly awaiting the email about the up coming English test too. Hopefully they are clearer in future emails about what the exact pay will be.
And how are you preparing yourself for the exam?
It's unfair an English native speaker applying for this job. If it were up to me Your language test would be in Greek
Old Jan 21st 2020, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat092 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lenka01
And how are you preparing yourself for the exam?
It's unfair an English native speaker applying for this job. If it were up to me Your language test would be in Greek
😁. I know what you mean. Hopefully yourtest goes well through. After this batch they have there other 9000 so members to recruit so maby over the course of time the application process might change, who knows.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Lenka01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fudokanconway
😁. I know what you mean. Hopefully yourtest goes well through. After this batch they have there other 9000 so members to recruit so maby over the course of time the application process might change, who knows.
It was a joke. I wasn't serious about what I was saying.
I'm also eagered in receiving the email.
I think I have a chance in making to the short list, but that depends on the other candidates and how much will Frontex narrow the list of candidates down.
best of luck to all of you and when the emails start to arrive in your mail boxes do say something so others can carry on and stop dreaming till the next procedure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.