Force support officers

Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Sovia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Force support officers

Hey there, I currently work as a crime desk operator in Scotland and would love to move to Canada. Is there any scope to work in a similar job there?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Force support officers

No offence, but one of the main reasons I like working as a police officer in Canada is that we don't have 'crime desk operators'.

We do have 'people who answer the phone' though.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Charming.

Do they also create your reports, fix your spelling mistakes, remind you of correct legislation and deal with slurred dictation at 4am when they're 'answering the phones'?

If so I'm the woman for the job
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

In our force,
We have a lovely little thing called an interface that creates mindless reports, that aren't actually crimes at all.
I correct my own spelling mistakes and I'm fully aware of legislation, else I've been doing something wrong for the last 14 years! lol
My speech is only ever slurred when I've had too much of the old vino! lol

Anyway, onwards and westwards, due to move to Canada on the 1st of October.

Regards

Nige
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sovia
Charming.

Do they also create your reports, fix your spelling mistakes, remind you of correct legislation and deal with slurred dictation at 4am when they're 'answering the phones'?

Suddenly I am remembering one of the few reasons I was glad to leave my job as a police support officer, the "them and us" mentality......c'mon Nige, not really very welcoming is it ....

Hi Sovia, and a warm welcome to BE from an ex-police civilian (as we were called in my day) - now living in Australia so I can't help on the Canadian front I'm afraid. If Canada is similar to here though, you would need to find another way to migrate rather than using your job, and then apply for police support work once in the country - not a particular skill so its no good for migration purposes generally.
Might be worth asking in the main Canadian Immigration forum though, just in case someone knows of a way you could migrate there

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

There is certainly NO "us" and "them" mentality from my part.

But I didn't post:

If I misunderstood, then I apologise.

Regards

Nige
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Hey pollyanna, thanks for the welcome what do you do now out in Australia?

Nige, try not to take it as a personal insult, we can co-exist

Guess the point I was making was my job is a bit more involved than answering the phones if you're at times the only point of contact for the public and your reports are being submitted as the case. But hey ho every force works different.

I'll try the Canada forum.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:20 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that every force has data entry people and civilian support staff...just as we do here...there you go...nice and neutral...

And welcome!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Charming.

To be fair I think this post came across as a little bit patronising in all honesty. Maybe I have mistaken the meaning but it implies that a "crime desk operator" fixes police officer's spelling mistakes while reminding a trained officer, who possibly has slurred speech, of legislation.

Apologies if that was not the meaning of the post but that's how it came across to me.

Tim
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Hey there, I currently work as a crime desk operator in Scotland and would love to move to Canada. Is there any scope to work in a similar job there?

Thanks
On a more serious note do you have a visa to legally work in Canada as that could be your initial barrier.

Tim
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nige1521
There is certainly NO "us" and "them" mentality from my part.

But I didn't post:

If I misunderstood, then I apologise.

Regards

Nige
Fair enough - and the other guy was just as bad - lets all shake haneds and co-exist in our little world of police work

Originally Posted by SDDep
I would imagine that every force has data entry people and civilian support staff...just as we do here...there you go...nice and neutral...

And welcome!

Originally Posted by tim010
On a more serious note do you have a visa to legally work in Canada as that could be your initial barrier.

Tim
Thats the problem as I see it, police support work in itself won't qualify for a skills visa,

Hey pollyanna, thanks for the welcome what do you do now out in Australia?

Nige, try not to take it as a personal insult, we can co-exist

Guess the point I was making was my job is a bit more involved than answering the phones if you're at times the only point of contact for the public and your reports are being submitted as the case. But hey ho every force works different.

I'll try the Canada forum.
I abandoned my last support job in the UK, which was in Fingerprints, for the Disaster Management field over here - I did a lot pf Casualty Bureau stuff back home which helped me break into emergency response work here, and now I work as a coordinator for government response to storms,cyclones, floods and any other disaster that hits Queensland, man=made or otherwise. Fabulous job! However I got in on a Spouse visa, my police-acquired skills would have counted for nothing unfortunately.
Don't know about Canada but here there are far fewer support staff, much more is still done by uniformed officers. In order to work in Fingerprints here, for example, I would have had to join the Force, walk the beat and work my way up and THEN apply to get into Forensics after a few years - hence the change of direction!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

Charming.

I didn't mean to be flippant. Well, actually I didn't mean to be really flippant, just a bit...flippant.

There isn't really a 'them and us' because there isn't really a 'them'. I mean there are some (2?) ladies who work in our station in a clerical/admin/audit capacity, but we haven't got the budget for dedicated crime desk operators (it's probably all been spent on machine guns by now). We have to create our own reports, rely on Microsoft to correct our spelling and grammer, and our sergeants to remind us of the legislation, then we cross our fingers that they go guilty at court.

Welcome by the way (smiley face thing here, but don't know where it is on the keyboard).
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:06 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin
I didn't mean to be flippant. Well, actually I didn't mean to be really flippant, just a bit...flippant.

There isn't really a 'them and us' because there isn't really a 'them'. I mean there are some (2?) ladies who work in our station in a clerical/admin/audit capacity, but we haven't got the budget for dedicated crime desk operators (it's probably all been spent on machine guns by now). We have to create our own reports, rely on Microsoft to correct our spelling and grammer, and our sergeants to remind us of the legislation, then we cross our fingers that they go guilty at court.

Welcome by the way (smiley face thing here, but don't know where it is on the keyboard).

We have our own "them" and "us" down here...it consists of:

Those who work and patrol and those who do not...bunch of pencil pushers the lot of em...hehe...
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough

I think that police recruitment in canada is suspended indefinitely for non-residents and citizens,and civilian opportunities are usually filled locally. so the chances of them considering a foreigner are probably zero.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:02 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
we do have civillians that man the front counters of police stations here, if that;s what you mean. they take minor reports (ones that don't require an investigation - such as insurance claims), assist with criminal records checks, hand out phamplets etc. If there is an issue, they contact the duty constable.

Most are actually city employees.