Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

firefighter wishing for a career change in oz.

firefighter wishing for a career change in oz.

Old May 29th 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light
Default firefighter wishing for a career change in oz.

I would be interested in finding out any info from anyone that has gone to Oz and joined the police over there.This is one of my career options.I am a firefighter at present and want to remain in the public services but feel that the police will have more openings for me?

Many thanks

JOHN
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

TZracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: firefighter wishing for a career change in oz.

Hi there, Since I've been a Police Officer in South Australia, I have met a couple a guys from home in SAMFS (South Australia Metropolitan Fire Service) these guys have been here on a secondment and basically a 'Swap' with Aussie Firefighters. Check if your service could arrange it with an Aussie Fire Service - as they can be seconded from any overseas fire service as Firefighters don't need to be sworn in like Cops, therefore no hassle with Citizenship/Residency policies etc. It may be a way of getting to Oz and having a look around and checking out migrating maybe into a Fire service first, then get your time in check out a career in policing. Don't know if they have a similar recruiting policy with ex UK firefighters though.
SAPOL aren't recruiting International recruits until further notice, but I wouldn't suggest you start your Police career with them anyway...I'm looking at getting out and finding a new service myself. I can't say I've spoken to anybody that's happy at SAPOL for a long time now. Especially the International recruits, all feel they were sort of not told exactly what would be expected of them upon employment. Training was terrible, equipment outdated, worked to the bone especially with paperwork that can take an entire shift for one arrest!! SAPOL have only just began to take into consideration previous experience after almost 5 years!