Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

EPS Police Medical Clearance form

EPS Police Medical Clearance form

Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default EPS Police Medical Clearance form

I am currently preparing my application pack for EPS and have got everything ready so far. Sight and hearing have been done and IQAS is in process. I have hit a minor stumbling block today in the medical clearance form that a Doctor has to sign off to complete the PARE.

I visited my GP today and he stated he could not sign it despite it simply being a form to confirm I am healthy enough to take the PARE. He enquired with another GP who also confirmed this to be the case. I was advised that I would either need to go to a private clinic or book a full healthcheck with them which will cost £100!!!

I am currently enquiring with a local private clinic as to whether they can sign off the form and what they need to do. All I need is a simple signature to say I am healthy which I am, but no one wants to commit themselves!!!

Has any one else had a similar problem and if so, how was it resolved?

Thanks in advance.
Tim
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future
Default Re: EPS Police Medical Clearance form

Tim,

I don't know what their problem is, my GP quite happily signed mine, charged me £15 mind!

Nige
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Thats what I fully expected to happen but for some reason they wanted to over complicate matters. I am in a bit of a quandry now as my GP has told me it will be £100 for a medical healthcheck so they can sign me off. Have rang a private clinic and they are going to get back to me as to how long an appointment they need to sign me off as healthy.

Tim
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

You could always try your force doc via occ health
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nige1521
You could always try your force doc via occ health
Funnily enough my GP suggested I speak to one of the FME's when they are in custody. Surely if one GP can't sign it then another one can't? I really can't see what the fuss is all about!!

Tim
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tim010
Funnily enough my GP suggested I speak to one of the FME's when they are in custody. Surely if one GP can't sign it then another one can't? I really can't see what the fuss is all about!!

Tim
My GP did mine for £25
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I revisited the GP to put to them the fact that several other people in the application process have simply had their forms signed by their GP for the standard price of about £20 but they still would not budge.

I spoke to the practice manager and she said that the GP could not sign the form as if I dropped down dead in the PARE then they could be responsible. I said that someone could drop down dead anytime but they still would not concede despite me having no medical conditions that would be likely to affect me.

In the end they agreed to do a health check with me for £50 which as long as I appear healthy will let them sign the forms! They also said that GP's who have signed the forms too easily are putting themselves at liability should anything happen, but who knows what or if anything would happen should an incident occur on the PARE.

Tim
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Tim,

Sounds like your surgery is run by Dick Turpin Enterprises!

Nige
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nige1521
Tim,

Sounds like your surgery is run by Dick Turpin Enterprises!

Nige
Tell me about it. I have been pulling what little hair I have left out today at the frustration of it all. Got my medical booked for next Thursday so hopefully that will all be in order and I can then send off the forms.

Tim
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tim,

Good luck with the medical, I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm going out on about the 7th of May for testing, with the first stage on the 9th of May!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think once the application is posted I will feel a little bit more relaxed as its pretty much out of my hands then until they decide whether or not to invite me for testing. On a plus note recruiting seem very helpful whenever I e-mail them!

Tim
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:32 am
Just Joined

gary97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tim010
I think once the application is posted I will feel a little bit more relaxed as its pretty much out of my hands then until they decide whether or not to invite me for testing. On a plus note recruiting seem very helpful whenever I e-mail them!

Tim
My GP signed it for £20 without any problem. But i had to go privately for hearing test which did cost about £200.

yes you will be relaxed once you post your documents.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gary97
My GP signed it for £20 without any problem. But i had to go privately for hearing test which did cost about £200.

yes you will be relaxed once you post your documents.
I got my sight test and hearing test both done at Specsavers. Sight test was £20 which I can claim back from my force occupational health and the hearing test was £29 so not too bad in all honesty. Just an inconvenience with this bloody medical clearance form!

Tim