EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Dom B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

Can i just say thanks to shane who asked the question initially and you started it so well that i (certainly) just wanted to know more!

Like you say, let us all know how your application goes mate!
Dom
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

brentus is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks Ann, i think i read that thread before (like dom b says we were planning on oz) so i didn't take notice of the canada stuff.

it actually seems like a very similar system in both countries
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brentus
what have you all done with your pensions and is there a choice as to what you can do?
I have invested mine over here with a firm in Ontario...Let me know if you are interested and I will send you the link. Cant touch it till I retire here but it should do better than leaving it in England.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Boxer10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Can anyone confirm that you just send an e-mail to Steven Minarchi from the EPS website to start the application process. I cannot see any other way of receiving the application paperwork.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boxer10
Hi, Can anyone confirm that you just send an e-mail to Steven Minarchi from the EPS website to start the application process. I cannot see any other way of receiving the application paperwork.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark
I think I have may answered my own question. I assume its the standard application form that is on the website for canadian citizens ??
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

No mate, i'm pretty sure that you need the full appication off the website. As far as i understand it you apply as if from scratch using the application form! Some of the serving lads & girls may be able to clarify this but as far as i can see we need to apply on the same form as new recruits.
Dom
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. I think I may have fallen at the first hurdle as it states that unaided eyesight must be at least 6/12. Unfortunately I do not have that. Laser surgery is an option but it would cost minimum £3000. Looks like I might have just stay on the sinking ship and hope I can keep my head above the water for the next 16 years !!!

Bugger!!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that. I think I may have fallen at the first hurdle as it states that unaided eyesight must be at least 6/12. Unfortunately I do not have that. Laser surgery is an option but it would cost minimum £3000. Looks like I might have just stay on the sinking ship and hope I can keep my head above the water for the next 16 years !!!

Bugger!!
What is your prescription? Mine is -3.5 and -3.25 and total cost for surgery is £2100. You can have a less expensive option that costs around £1600.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ashleyg
What is your prescription? Mine is -3.5 and -3.25 and total cost for surgery is £2100. You can have a less expensive option that costs around £1600.
My prescription is -2.25 and -2.25. I suppose it comes down to where you go and how much you pay. I have just received an e-mail from EPS stating that there are people getting laser surgery prior to applying. How does that affect your application?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road

My prescription is -2.25 and -2.25. I suppose it comes down to where you go and how much you pay. I have just received an e-mail from EPS stating that there are people getting laser surgery prior to applying. How does that affect your application?
Then it will be conciderably cheaper for you

I applied and was told my unaided vision was not high enough so my application was put on hold until i had my laser surgery (in a week now), three months after that as long as the surgery was successfull i will be out there for testing.

I was concerned regarding paying all this money for the surgery and then not being accepted into EPS but i decided this is a risk im going to have to take as joining EPS is my primary goal at the moment. EPS did state my initial application didnt have any problems so testing would be the next step and that is all down to me.

Ashley
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just a bit of info on the Laser surgery.

My mrs had it done just over 2 years ago! We live in Manchester and she used "Optimax"(I'm aware they have surgeries nationwide). On the day she had it done there was a girl who was a civillian in the Police and they give the Police a discount. Can't remember whether it was 10 or 20%. My mrs paid £1500 for both eyes (full price)w! Just so you know. They were a good firm, she could see instantly, but went to bed for 3 hours and was ight as rain!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dom B
Just a bit of info on the Laser surgery.

My mrs had it done just over 2 years ago! We live in Manchester and she used "Optimax"(I'm aware they have surgeries nationwide). On the day she had it done there was a girl who was a civillian in the Police and they give the Police a discount. Can't remember whether it was 10 or 20%. My mrs paid £1500 for both eyes (full price)w! Just so you know. They were a good firm, she could see instantly, but went to bed for 3 hours and was ight as rain!
Thanks for the info, I will look into it. I have just heard from EPS and they have said go and get the laser surgery and then wait 3 months, if all ok then I can submit my application. So all depends on finding the cash for the surgery and how quickly I can get it done. Not sure what my forces view is either on surgery as don't want to lose my advanced car licence!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:03 am
Just Joined

ouldy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I want to emigrate to Canada, Toronto was my first choice tbh, but it appears the only job, being in police is useful for is the Police..

As far as I understand Edmonton is the only force in Canada recruiting outside of Canada.

Are the stories about a Paramilitary training regime true ? How hard is the fitness, Pompeyboy you said you have to pass annual fitness up until 35...I am 41 now will that make any difference in what is expected of fitness levels.?

I used to be fairly fit, running aint to bad but chins ups have probably left my capabilities long ago...

also mentioned on the forum is a lengthly wait for promotion, if you start at 5yr constable how long does it take to progress from that level ?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Its true that if you fail an interview you dont get to the next one. It goes in the order;

1. Personal disclosure - based on your application. Dont hold back, tell them evrything and be honest.

2. Behavioural events - normally a couple of ex-cops and your chance to blow your own trumpet about the stuff you have done in life and as a copper.

3. Polygraph - Again tell them evrything and dont even try to lie cos it will show a blip and dont read websites that teach you how to beat it cos its bollocks. This interview is to confirm that you told the truth in your application pack and the first interview.

There are written tests such as the 700 question multi choice test which takes about 90 minutes and is YES, NO or SOMETIMES type of test. Basdically confirms that you are sane and not suicidal or homicidal, think you are Jesus etc.

As Bob Hope says the medical tests are able to be retaken if necessary.

As far as the fitness; Yes they have dropped their standards for entry, they had to due to pressure from the Alberta Government. However once you are in you are still expected to pass the EPS physical in week one and then throughout your career annually until you are 35. So keep up with the chins, dips etc...you will need it.

Any more questions let me know..

Cheers
Pompeyboy
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

2 things,
1. Laser surgery did my mrs an 18 month payment plan. We may have had to pay about £100 upfront but after the surgery she paid £80 or £90 a month for 18 months. Which was a winner!

2. Not sure about the chin ups business, but you can look on the joineps website and view a video of the fitness test. Very similar to the old one we used to use in the police where you run around cones, only this one has some steps to climb and a jump here and there. Have a look at the video, it doesn't seem too difficult as long as you keep a constant steady speed. Think they talk about chin ups as they're a good measure of upper body strength, but you don't seem to need to do any on the fitness test.

Hope this helps.
Dom
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

julieanne72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

My husband is in the process of applying for EPS but does anyone know whether you can start working immediately in Canada if you go over as immediate family/whether citizenship for the whole family is automatic ? The website for EPS doesn't make it terribly clear.

Thanks

Julie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.