Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Edmonton Police - Immigration Questions??

Edmonton Police - Immigration Questions??

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Nick Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Edmonton Police - Immigration Questions??

Hi

I am now at a stage where I am starting to look at the immigration options for the EPS should i be offered a job. Am looking for some help!!

Firstly I am considering whether it is worth me paying to have an immigration lawyer represent my application. I will not be bringing anyone else with me on my application and think i am a fairly straighforward case, my parnter needs to apply separately (v.long story!!!). Anyone got experience of this who could help??

Secondly, I have been researching the immigration options avaiable. I know that the EPS offer the Provincial Nominee Program entry pathway. My understanding is that the long part of this process is applying to the Alberta Government for the Nominee certificate. Once I have that I would then need to apply to the Canadian High Commission for the residency which does not take too long. I am probably answering my own question but is this correct and what experience do people have with the time scales of this process??

My only other query is that in the last year they have dramatically changed the immigration processes for applying under the federal Skilled Worker scheme so much so that the time scales are now down to 6 to 12 months. Is anyone thinking of going down this line at all?? I am looking for the quickest avenue, and with the changes the cic have made am not sure which would be quicker!

Any help or thoughts would be brilliant!!

Cheers
Nick
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton Police - Immigration Questions??

I do not think you would need the services of an immigration agent at all - it is a fairly straightforward, albeit slow-ish process to just gather the information and documents they need. I think you would be wasting your money, and there are already enough little cheques to write along the way

Your understanding of the provincial scheme is about right.

I don't think the Skilled Worker route that you mention would work for you if EPS is your goal. You need to be a Permanent Resident before they can appoint you.

As far as I understand things, that current route requires that you get a job offer out of one on a list of 38 specific jobs, and the employer has to prove they want only you because no-one else locally was suitable. But I also think that even then, you are only issued with Temporary Work Permit and then you would need to apply for PR once you are over here, etc. I'm not sure on this, but this is how I read it on other people's threads from this site.

So EPS have already bypassed that whole system by using the Alberta Nomination scheme thingie whereby you get PR at the end of the paperwork and are therefore immediately able to be sworn in.

Good luck with it all

HTH
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Edmonton Police - Immigration Questions??

Originally Posted by Nick Brown
Hi

I am now at a stage where I am starting to look at the immigration options for the EPS should i be offered a job. Am looking for some help!!

Firstly I am considering whether it is worth me paying to have an immigration lawyer represent my application. I will not be bringing anyone else with me on my application and think i am a fairly straighforward case, my parnter needs to apply separately (v.long story!!!). Anyone got experience of this who could help??

Secondly, I have been researching the immigration options avaiable. I know that the EPS offer the Provincial Nominee Program entry pathway. My understanding is that the long part of this process is applying to the Alberta Government for the Nominee certificate. Once I have that I would then need to apply to the Canadian High Commission for the residency which does not take too long. I am probably answering my own question but is this correct and what experience do people have with the time scales of this process??

My only other query is that in the last year they have dramatically changed the immigration processes for applying under the federal Skilled Worker scheme so much so that the time scales are now down to 6 to 12 months. Is anyone thinking of going down this line at all?? I am looking for the quickest avenue, and with the changes the cic have made am not sure which would be quicker!

Any help or thoughts would be brilliant!!

Cheers
Nick
You do not need a lawyer. Do it yourself. The process for me took 6 months from start to finish and was really smooth and easy. Save your money. Blaine Yamkovy does all the immigration work on behalf of EPS.