Decisions,decisions

Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

bumbley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decisions,decisions

Hi all

Just a question for all you experienced bobbies. I am close to getting the offer of a start date with my local force. My dilemma is that my wife has been offered a job in Vancouver, which looks and sounds fantastic. We are visiting Vancouver on February 2nd, having a look around the hospital and the area it's self.

My question. Is it worth becoming a police officer nowadays? The amount of paperwork you have, the way society is today in the UK, idiots everywhere etc etc etc. So I ask you all for your advice.

Do I give up this opportunity of becoming a Police Officer and look forward to possibly a new and hopefully better life in Canada or continue with my application and miss out on this chance.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Leigh
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decisions,decisions

Hi Leigh - no-one can answer you dilemma for you really

First of all, some background - you are looking at hospitals in Vancouver so I am guessing your wife is a health care professional? Has she been offered a job under a Work Permit?

In which case, you should also received an open Work Permit too from her application.

You could not apply to jon Vancouver PD - one needs to be a Permanent Resident or a Canadian Citizen (under current regs).

Whilst out in Vancouver on a Work Permit you (as in you or your wife) could submit an application for Permanent Residency and your wife's current employment would afford extra points - but I do not think the process timeline is shortened, ie, could still take years to receive permanent residency.

As to whether joining the police is worthwhile - well, I figure you've already decided it is because you have received a job offer to do just that!

Your decision is whether to ditch this idea in the meantime, or short term, and let your wife 'lead the way' in the employment front for a few years. What do you do now? and could you easily do that again in Canada, or is there something else you would like to try? Basically, can you pay the bills?!

Is the process of going to Canada likely to be a long term/permanent plan? If it is, and you were dedicated to become a police officer, then you could start the process from scratch out there - but might need the patience of a saint, ie, a few years. Or is the move a "3-year adventure" type scenario? In which case, you can become an officer anytime you like !!!

Best wishes - and have a great trip regardless
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

bumbley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi Leigh - no-one can answer you dilemma for you really

First of all, some background - you are looking at hospitals in Vancouver so I am guessing your wife is a health care professional? Has she been offered a job under a Work Permit?

In which case, you should also received an open Work Permit too from her application.

You could not apply to jon Vancouver PD - one needs to be a Permanent Resident or a Canadian Citizen (under current regs).

Whilst out in Vancouver on a Work Permit you (as in you or your wife) could submit an application for Permanent Residency and your wife's current employment would afford extra points - but I do not think the process timeline is shortened, ie, could still take years to receive permanent residency.

As to whether joining the police is worthwhile - well, I figure you've already decided it is because you have received a job offer to do just that!

Your decision is whether to ditch this idea in the meantime, or short term, and let your wife 'lead the way' in the employment front for a few years. What do you do now? and could you easily do that again in Canada, or is there something else you would like to try? Basically, can you pay the bills?!

Is the process of going to Canada likely to be a long term/permanent plan? If it is, and you were dedicated to become a police officer, then you could start the process from scratch out there - but might need the patience of a saint, ie, a few years. Or is the move a "3-year adventure" type scenario? In which case, you can become an officer anytime you like !!!

Best wishes - and have a great trip regardless
Hi Ann,

Thanks very much for your reply it answered a few queiries and also gave me a few things to think about. My wife's profession is a nurse so she will be working in one of Vancouver's hospital, while i will try to find a bit of work, whatever it may be to make a start in a new country.

I have read that it is a case of the more people you know the better it is with regards to finding work, is this true?

Thanks again for your reply

Kind regards

Leigh
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bumbley
I have read that it is a case of the more people you know the better it is with regards to finding work, is this true?

Thanks again for your reply

Kind regards

Leigh

You're welcome.

Have a look here for some info. Networking seems huge on this side of the pond and should not be underestimated !

Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bumbley
Hi all

Just a question for all you experienced bobbies. I am close to getting the offer of a start date with my local force. My dilemma is that my wife has been offered a job in Vancouver, which looks and sounds fantastic. We are visiting Vancouver on February 2nd, having a look around the hospital and the area it's self.

My question. Is it worth becoming a police officer nowadays? The amount of paperwork you have, the way society is today in the UK, idiots everywhere etc etc etc. So I ask you all for your advice.

Do I give up this opportunity of becoming a Police Officer and look forward to possibly a new and hopefully better life in Canada or continue with my application and miss out on this chance.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Leigh
Hi leigh you will find if your wife is being employed by a health authority in Vancouver that she gets fast tracked for her PR you would probably get this in 6 months.We are going through the same as you, at present I am waitng for a job from Fraser Health as soon as I have my LMO i get fast tracked and as soon as we get confirmation that we are getting our PR visa my hubby can apply to Vancouver Police, he is already an existing police officer.When fast tracked you get your PR in about 6 months hope this helps