Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

The CPS - What's it like?

The CPS - What's it like?

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:06 pm
Calgary Police

Tickets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The CPS - What's it like?

Where to live and where you're posted is a concern for every member. It used to be said that you asked for a posting to the part of the city that was farthest from where you live and you'd get what you want.

My understanding of how posting selection works is close to the end of your training you select your 3 top preferences. Depending on where you pick and how many other people want the same location, you get posted there. I'm thinking that we are so short of bodies these days, you probably have a better chance of going where you want. If you want to be really busy, you pick District 1 (downtown) or District 4 or 5 (east side of the city, lots of immigrants). District 2 and 7 cover the west side of the city and are less busy. District 6 and 8 cover the south and are also less busy. Not to say there isn't anything to do - there's lots to do everywhere but each area has it's own particular character.

Even if you have prior police service before you come here, you will start as a beat cop, working in the district and zone. We have one fairly recent ex-Brit who had 14 years in London as a detective and he is currently working in uniform in District 4. I do think, however, that with previous police experience, you will be able to self-direct your career more easily.

As far as location and transportation, let's just say those of us who pay taxes and have to use the public transporation system have a gripe with the city planners. The rapid transit (express train) is excellent and very efficient - it goes all the way to the far sourh, the northeast and northwest legs are being up updated, there is no train to the southwest. Because the city has grown so fast, the roadways have had trouble keeping up and we are in what seems to be a permanent state of upgrade. There are very few places you can go in Calgary without running into some roadwork.

That being said, if you don't have a car in Calgary, it is harder to get to some parts of the city. There is bus service but it is also suffering from too much work and not enough people. Calgary is a car town and everybody loves their vehicles. We're starting to get used to our public transport, but that means on weekends or days off, everybody is out in their cars driving all over the place. It seems like it is never not rush hour here, no matter what part of the city you're in.

If you're thinking of Sundance, you would probably be most likely to prefer District 6 or District 8. The latter is in the far south, closer to Sundance. Sundance is "relatively" close to the south line of the LRT but travelling to work on shifts, you would be driving anyway. Deerfoot Trail is the north-south road on the east side and the west side road is almost complete. The plan is to build a ring road around the city so travellers don't have to go through the city if they don't want to, but completion is still a few years off. I guess the answer to transportation is, Calgary is pretty easy to get around in once you get to know it a little. There are just so many (*&^(&^#^%&_ people driving around. You can't happily commute in Calgary if you don't have an abundance of patience.

I hope I answered your questions. I think I wandered away from the topic a bit. If there is anything else you'd like to know, let me know.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi
You can put in 3 preferred choices however you may not get any of them and you do not know until just before you pass out. The C train can get really busy especially with the hours required during training you may have to wait 3 or 4 trains before you can get on and that is at the start of the line. The guys I know going through training now gave up using the c train and now car pool (you get given a parking pass for the city)

As for Edmonton, we also looked at both but didn't see the point of living in Alberta and not being able to see the mountains (have a fantastic view of them from our house!!!!!) also skiing is an hour and a half away compared with 4 if you live in Edmonton

Best of luck if anyone wants to ask any further questions go ahead or PM me

Originally Posted by 4breezers
Hi everyone.

A quick question regarding postings in Calgary-do you have any choice/preference as to which division you are posted to? How far into your training is this discussed? We would like to buy asap when (if) we arrive, but don't want to get stuck living on one side of Calgary and working on the other.

We came out in August last year and have friends in Sundance so would hope to live around that area. However we are just wondering how easy commuting is if the C train isn't in easy access?

For info my husband took the fitness and written tests while we were on holiday in August and returned in December for the interview etc. We had already applied for PR as skilled workers (CPS didn't do PNP back in April when we applied), but are aware that if he passes the interviews the file can be pulled and processed as PNP.

Someone asked about the differences between Edmonton and Calgary -when we came out in August we spent some time in both as we were undecided between the two. As soon as we left Edmonton and arrived in Calgary we knew Calgary was the place for us. There is nothing wrong with Edmonton, but it does have an entirely different feel to it and seems more industrialised. It's difficult to explain the difference, so worth a visit to the two if you aren't sure - just be ready for a 4 hour drive on one very long, very straight boring road!

Now just sitting and waiting!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future

Thank you Tickets and Wallace -both really helpful.

Maybe we need to reconsider buying straight away and wait until nearer the end of training-having said that it's a tough call as we wouldn't want to get the kids settled in school and then up sticks and move- who knows

No matter how many questions you think you've asked there's always another one creeping upon you!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

sym13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I've just spoken to the other half at length about emmigrating and we've decided our prefered destination is in fact Canada.

Has anyone out there got any advice on which Canadian forces are recruiting us Brits at the moment, and any useful contact details. I

I'm a Detective in Cardiff with 4 years service. I'm from the Valleys so apart from working in Cardiff am not really a city boy.

Any advice and assistance gratefully received, and good luck to everyone currently in the process. Some of the threads are really interesting reading.

Sy
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Davie McCaig will become famous soon enough

Sym,

Both Calgary and Edmonton Police services are recruiting us british cops..Their respective web sites will explain all.

Dave
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sy - As Dave said, look at the Calgary and Edmonton web sites.

I think it true to say you would only ever be able to join a 'city' force which is a completely separate set up to the RCMP - as a new arrival.
As far as I can recall, for the RCMP, you need to be a Canadian citizen - and that could take at least 3 years after arrival (check their website too). And then there is the small matter of being posted to absolutely anywhere, ie, rural and as far away from civilisation as is possible?!

And when I say 'city' force, I don't always mean the big main cities - lots of large towns are classed as cities for the purposes of having their own police forces - but you would need to know an area fairly well to work out the jurisdiction of each area and who covers it. I recall a holiday through a town in British Columbia a few years ago, and they had their own force of about 80 staff!

So at this stage, like the rest of us, keep your enquiries limited to the main big city forces - and obviously Calgary and Edmonton are the obvious ones.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sym13
Hi all,

I've just spoken to the other half at length about emmigrating and we've decided our prefered destination is in fact Canada.

Has anyone out there got any advice on which Canadian forces are recruiting us Brits at the moment, and any useful contact details. I

I'm a Detective in Cardiff with 4 years service. I'm from the Valleys so apart from working in Cardiff am not really a city boy.

Any advice and assistance gratefully received, and good luck to everyone currently in the process. Some of the threads are really interesting reading.

Sy
Medicine Hat and Lethbridge are smaller cities, dont know whether they are still recruiting or not. However both Calgary and Edmonton offer PNP. Also you have to remember that you do not have to live in the city, there are lots of small towns and hamlets just outside of these cities.
Good luck
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

sym13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies. They have been most helpful.

Time to fill in the application forms then and get fit. Any hints and tips for the fitness tests and application forms?

Plus, if anyone has made it out there which I know a few of you have, can you recommend any semi rural locations for us to start looking at as potential places to live, within a decent commute into Calgary.

Once again, thanks everyone
Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:39 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

Hi Simon
Well good news that youve settled on Canada.
We have been here for nearly 3 months now and its definately the right move. As far as 'whats CPS like' They are a damn site better than anything the UK has to offer. But saying that Im still only in training but it seems that way to me. I still dont understand why more bobbies are not going for the move.
The back up and support are there, something the UK still has to figure out.
The thing about Calgary is that theres so much more on your door step. The communities are great the views are great.
Calgary are still recruiting hard but you probably know that PNP places are hard fought. 25 per year I think, sounds a lot but when your up against 180 taking the test, Its not so many. They are quite choosey. But saying that they want bums on seats also. So the experienced brits are a good choice. Thats what I keep telling them......
Well if theres anything else you want to know or find out give us shout.
Best of luck with the application, get it in quick...
Andrew
Nic says hello to vicky.
will PM you with our address
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

This is the best thread / information I have seen on CPS.

My question is that I am considering moving from the UK to Alberta and I am looking for a job. I am currently an Investigation Officer with Customs and wonder if that is a good starting point for CPS or would I just be the same as a novice?

Could I even apply as I am not a UK Police Officer?

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:26 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

Any experience is good experience. You have life experience job experience and dealing with people experience.
Your experience in the customs would be of benifit but it wouldnt afford you the benifit of jumping up the pay scales....I think. I think only previous police experience lets you do that. But theres no harm in asking.
The CPS are looking for all kinds of people as long as they fit their 'bill'.
Good luck its worth doing.....
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nickola
Any experience is good experience. You have life experience job experience and dealing with people experience.
Your experience in the customs would be of benifit but it wouldnt afford you the benifit of jumping up the pay scales....I think. I think only previous police experience lets you do that. But theres no harm in asking.
The CPS are looking for all kinds of people as long as they fit their 'bill'.
Good luck its worth doing.....
Thank you
Old May 21st 2007, 4:45 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: The CPS - What's it like?

Just bumping this up a bit. Seems to be loads of Brits coming over for the testing and hubby gave some good info on what its like to actually get working here.

Hope it helps and good luck to you all coming over for your testing.

mrs minihaha
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road

Can i just ask a question to the ones that have started training or have partner that are training - how did you arrange your visa's?

Did you get the few spots where CPS help you out or did you apply seperatly to your police application, if so how long did it take?

Im concidering applying to the CPS but unsure at the moment about the visa 'process'.

Thanks in advance!

Ash
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

Just a quick one about the Police Pension thing! Trying to get any details out of the UK scheme is difficult to impossible, however if you use a pension advisor here to request the details they suddenly become available. I started the process of transfering my 24 year Police pension and got an advisor from BMO. He sent me some forms to sign. He sent them to UK they sent him details back with the amount currently in the fund, 169,000 pounds ish! Another form to sign, thats it all done just waiting for the transfer now.

The benefits are you have more control over how you want to invest, high, med or low risk. You are not goverened by currency fluctuations, crumbs who knows what the pound/dollar will be when i'm 60!

Lastly I would say if you are not sure about Canada then leave your pension in UK, if there is no way you wanna leave the rockies then move it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.