CPS Health Care

Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Ally37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CPS Health Care

Hiya is anyone up to speed with the Police Health Care Plan and state medical care available.
My daughter has Type 1 Diabetes and gets great care and all her Insulin etc on NHS in the UK.
Just wondered if anyone else has any experience ref this, from what I can find so far you may get a percentage of medication free or at reduced cost.
This maybe something I need to speak to CPS direct about but would be glad of any advice.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CPS Health Care

Hi Ally37

Have a look at this link which is for Blue Cross. This is the health benefit that CPS covers (no cost to you).

Think of the system as having two sections. There is the Alberta Health Care coverage (which is currently $88 a month for a family) and this is deducted from your salary. Then the CPS provide the Blue Cross "top up" as a benefit.

I believe that the prescription drugs will be covered up to 80% of the cost, and you pay the 20%. I also believe you could top that coverage up yourself so it pays out the 100% but I guess that would depend on the cost of the drug as to whether that was worthwhile.

As an example, my husband picked up two Ventolin inhalers the other day and that cost us $5.30.

Have a plough through that link - it should give you a rough idea of what is covered. The most expensive treatment I anticipate in the near future is braces for the kids. That can run to thousands !!

If you don't find the answer you need, post something in the main Canada forum - we have tons of health care people on this site and someone can give you exact costs if need be. Hope that helps
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:04 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Think of the system as having two sections. There is the Alberta Health Care coverage (which is currently $88 a month for a family) and this is deducted from your salary. Then the CPS provide the Blue Cross "top up" as a benefit.

Ann is it new that Blue cross is totally free, as a few years ago the police officers paid a small amount which was topped up by the City and it was all at a reduced rate. You could elect to have `100% prescriptions but you actually paid an awful lot more for this priledge and unless you had an awful lot of medication it was better to be on the 80% allowance.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helen. No, we don't pay anything towards the Blue Cross coverage (though I suspect there's some taxable something-or-other to it hidden in the payslip somewhere!).

You can opt to 'up' the prescription coverage to 100%, but as you and I said, it might depend on the costs of the actual prescription versus the cost to pay the extra as to whether that is worthwhile.

You can also choose to 'up' the dental coverage from Level 2 to Level 3 (about $25 a month I believe) - so that it pays a little bit extra towards your annual costs .... - but $25 a month equals $300 a year, and think the extra coverage was only for $600, so not a huge difference ....
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Ally37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice that was very helpfull.