CPS Fitness

Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

d2801 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CPS Fitness

Hi all

I'm just waiting for my visa and will hopefully recieve a start date sooner rather than later.

My fitness level at the moment I would say is average. I can run fine, but trying to improve my upper body strength.

Can anyone shed any light on what level of fitness is expected of new recruits at the start of training.

It's not easy finding the time with two children and working 24/7 shifts.

Take care all Dave
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:08 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all
Default Re: CPS Fitness

Originally Posted by d2801
Hi all

I'm just waiting for my visa and will hopefully recieve a start date sooner rather than later.

My fitness level at the moment I would say is average. I can run fine, but trying to improve my upper body strength.

Can anyone shed any light on what level of fitness is expected of new recruits at the start of training.

Take care all Dave
Hi Dave and congratulations on yr new job.

We are still at the wanting stage and going over in Jan for testing. Just a thought but maybe you could ask yr file manager if he/she has a fitness timetable you could have a copy of?? I am sure they must follow a plan over the 20+ weeks of training and maybe they will be happy for you to have a copy.

Good luck

Dawn ( wife of hopefull )
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Hey there

Thanks for your reply, good idea, with so much going on its so easy to overlook the obvious answers.

Good luck in Jan, will you be having your interview, PARE test etc.

Regards Dave
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:16 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Hello again

Yep, all the bits to be done to see if we ( Gerry ) gets offered employment with CPS. We have been wanting this for quite some time and just keeping everything crossed it goes well.

We have only spoken to the CPS officers a couple of times and the ladies in recruitment and they all are very helpfull, feel sure somebody can provide you with the training programme.

Bet yr really excited - the start of a whole new life doing the job you love. That is what makes it so nice - if we are lucky and get through Gerry gets to keep doing the job he loves and we as a family get to move to a fantastic country to continue our life journey ..... sounds like a good story for a book

Cheers

Dawn
Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:32 pm
kws
Just Joined

kws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura about

Dave,

Congratulations on the job offer. I completed training a short time ago and recomend you work on the fitness side of things. I know it's been an issue for quite a few of the brits coming over. there is quite a lot of running and weight training involved in the course. The PT sessions are OK but they expect you to do a lot in your own time. I didn't bother and was OK at the end of the day, however, I was relatively fit to start off with. They have fitness expectations on the recruiting website. It will give you an indication of what they are looking for.

In addition to PT sessions there are SCT days which are physically demanding and firearms days. I found the whole course quite demanding and kept picking up niggling injuries throughout the 23 weeks. It's hard keeping up with 20 something year olds.

The runs are generally interval runs, sprints as well as hills and stairs (those are a killers). there is a fair bit of circuit training and the extreme challanges which will have to complete every 2 weeks, those can be really hard.

If you want more specific info I could send you the workout calendar for the second half of the course.

kws
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

KWS

Thanks for the reply, and congrats on completing the course, I bet your so chuffed.

If you wouldn't mind forwarding me the course info that you have I feel it would be a bonus to have a look at.

How did you find the difference in law?

Congrats again

If you'd prefer to send the info via email, send to [email protected]
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:45 pm
kws
Just Joined

kws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura about

Dave,

will send via email. The course is fairly straight forward. I think the guys from England will find the laws fairly similar. I came over from Scotland and there were some fundamental differences, not that they teach you much in the way of law during training. It's more of a find out when on the streets:curse:

kws
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Hi Dave & Welcome

I can also send you the fitness schedule that i was given during the PARE orientation, if you work on that it should build you up for a lot of what to expect during training....

I dont have it here right now but can email it to you tomorrow when i get back onto my other computer.

thx

Originally Posted by d2801
Hi all

Take care all Dave
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Jayzee is an unknown quantity at this point

Having graduated from CPS classes in September...with KWS if my hunch is correct!!!.....I can back his descriptions of the training

I quite heavily injured my quad in the very first week - instead of simply back coursing me (which would be the EPS response) they gave me an altered schedule so I could rehab and train at the same time.

The fitness staff are absolutely fantastic - they really know their onions and no matter how fit you are when you join you will come out fitter. They will also work with you if you are lacking in areas - one of our less capable classmates improved tremendously from his start to his end performance
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:17 pm
kws
Just Joined

jayzee, you must be a detective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:55 am
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

Hi Guys,
I am week 2 of training at the moment, regarding the fitness and the new time for the PARE of 4.45 this is only for recruiting purposes, for training you have to be able to complete the PARE in the old time of 4 mins and that also counts for the push pull weights and the carrywhich are at the old weights.
so for your own purposes try to do as much fitness as possible beforehand.
take note of the little details like the pushups which are close not wide arm so if you looked from above at the person doing the pushups you will not see the thumbs as the shoulders are blocking the view, and this does make a difference as some of the recruit found out, it can make the difference and try to work on things like the shuttle/ledger/bleep test training as this is one of the things you will be doing in week 2 and on.

Hope that helps
Allan
gotta go and study criminal law!!! cya
Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

NSingh is an unknown quantity at this point

haha I was talking to some of the guys on my ride along, expect to come home with bruises and black eyes

Apparently they made them sit there and take punches in the face to stop flinching. With gloves ofcourse.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Allan

You're alive!

How is the training going? Is it harder than expected???

Originally Posted by poppy1
Hi Guys,
I am week 2 of training at the moment, regarding the fitness and the new time for the PARE of 4.45 this is only for recruiting purposes, for training you have to be able to complete the PARE in the old time of 4 mins and that also counts for the push pull weights and the carrywhich are at the old weights.
so for your own purposes try to do as much fitness as possible beforehand.
take note of the little details like the pushups which are close not wide arm so if you looked from above at the person doing the pushups you will not see the thumbs as the shoulders are blocking the view, and this does make a difference as some of the recruit found out, it can make the difference and try to work on things like the shuttle/ledger/bleep test training as this is one of the things you will be doing in week 2 and on.

Hope that helps
Allan
gotta go and study criminal law!!! cya
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:24 pm
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

Hi Dawn

It's going great, The CPS training is very professional in every way, couldn't be happier.

for those of you out there asking about the fitness training schedule here is a basic breakdown, but be aware it is always subject to change and does.
Week 1
Monday, classroom only intro
Thursday, Pare Test group 1, body composition group 2

Week 2
Monday, Bleep test/ledger, jump test, push ups test
Wednesday, bench press, pull ups (overhand grip), curl ups
Friday, muscular endurance weight training

Week 3 (Christmas week)
Thursday, Group1 muscular endurance, group 2 intro run, Distance unknown
Friday, training principles lecture only

Week 4
Monday, obstacle course
Wednesday, obstacle course
Friday, intro to circuits (full body conditioning)

Week 5
Monday, Group 1 subject control techniques all day group 2 speed and acceleration?
Tuesday, Group 1 subject control techniques all day group 2 Plyometrics???
Wednesday Group 1 subject control techniques all day group 2 threshold run???
(Subject control techniques is very physically demanding so included on this list)
Friday, Continuous metabolic conditioning circuit??? (sounds painful)

Week 6
Monday, Group 2 subject control techniques all day group 1 speed and acceleration?
Tuesday, Group 2 subject control techniques all day group 1 Plyometrics???
Wednesday Group 2 subject control techniques all day group 1 threshold run???
Friday, nutrition lecture only

Week 7
Monday, Anaerobic intervals, outside
Wednesday, fartlek run outside

Week 8
Monday, run outside distance unknown
Wednesday, weights, hypertrophy upper body
Thursday, obstacle course
Friday, cardiac hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Great name
Week 9
All week is subject control and fitness training mixed with mainly weight training

That’s a taste of what is to come, it’s all do-able you are also expected to do your own fitness on top of this, such as weight training, or focusing on areas of weakness, they are looking for a good all round fitness level to avoid injuries and don’t want you to focus on pumping iron so you’re a big guy because that usually has a downside of not being as good in other areas.
The PT staff are very qualified and full of experience and knowledge, they are approachable and want to help you pass as do all the training staff. I would say don’t get hung up on the fitness side of the training as they will help you improve your fitness but making sure that you are not struggling from the start by getting to grips with your fitness before you arrive and it will make your life easier.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:45 am
Just Joined

h_mank351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brillant post, thanks very much for the info.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.