Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Costs and concerns - WApol police from uk

Costs and concerns - WApol police from uk

Old May 23rd 2014, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Mart0407 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs and concerns - WApol police from uk

Hi

I was successful in the application stages for WApol and have my first assessment in 1 weeks time.

I don't want to get my hopes up just yet as there is still an awful lot to achieve and awful lot to consider

I appreciate there may already be a thread on this however I am new to these sort of things so not sure if was searching correctly

Basically I would like some more information from people in the know, particularly about the following things:
How much roughly to move over - including visas etc
How much to move over a family dog
How much is cost of living - expensive, average, good etc
Monthly rental for 3 bed house in nice safe area (in £ if possible)

I'm particularly interested in hearing any bad stories etc or any persons who transferred out and have come back.

Thanks in advanced

M
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:42 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of
Default Re: Costs and concerns - WApol police from uk

Hi
To be honest I think you'd be better of just contacting the relevant companies and asking for quotes. Everyone's circumstances are different and therefore the costs and expenses will be too.

Personally my attitude is 'I'm going, d**n the costs!' I'm not worrying about the cost of living or converting $ to £. When I was out in Feb I thought about doing a shopping list and comparing the cost to the UK. But I thought, 'What's the point. It's not going to make any difference to my decision to emigrate'.

I'm going for the better quality of life, not expecting to be whooping it up living the life of Reilly.

All the best. Hope the PEE preps gone well.
Old May 24th 2014, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Deblongden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my hubby has his pee next week too.

Info ive found so far. .. probs gonna cost us in the region of 15k to move, thats 3 people and a dog. 5k visa meds, 4k dog, 4/5 k shipment. . Rest on flights.

People in the academy are earning $2100 per fortnight then for first con with shift allowance $2700 per fortnight. .. rentals appear to be around $450 pw for decent area but no pool.

People out there at the moment appear to be managing fine on one wage. I was told forget converting £ to $.. its all relevant. . Paid more to accommodate spending more.

Hope that's of some help x

Oh and good luck
Old May 24th 2014, 6:03 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mart0407 View Post
Hi

I was successful in the application stages for WApol and have my first assessment in 1 weeks time.

I don't want to get my hopes up just yet as there is still an awful lot to achieve and awful lot to consider

I appreciate there may already be a thread on this however I am new to these sort of things so not sure if was searching correctly

Basically I would like some more information from people in the know, particularly about the following things:
How much roughly to move over - including visas etc
How much to move over a family dog
How much is cost of living - expensive, average, good etc
Monthly rental for 3 bed house in nice safe area (in £ if possible)

I'm particularly interested in hearing any bad stories etc or any persons who transferred out and have come back.

Thanks in advanced

M
Theres a whole forum based around that type of lifestyle question

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Old May 29th 2014, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

teenytollan is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it is quiet scary but I have been looking through loads of different blogs and there are loads out there which gives you prices and where to find them which are really good.