Cost of living

Old May 24th 2013, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Spudboy01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living

Hi everyone. I have just submitted my international application for WA Police. In doing my research I noticed that the house prices and rent of a 3 bed house are well outside my price range. Not just in the CBDs but all over. How do you afford a house and still live on a police wage. Many thanks in advance. Phil
Old May 25th 2013, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Cost of living

Hi again, I noticed that I seem to be the only post with no answers. Have I done something wrong?
Old May 25th 2013, 9:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spudboy01
Hi again, I noticed that I seem to be the only post with no answers. Have I done something wrong?
For info on the Aussie lifestyle, cost of living etc, you'd probably be better posting in the main forum, http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Old May 25th 2013, 9:10 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of threads on the cost of living on the site, so unfortunately yours is not a new topic, but I have researched this as I've applied and had the same concerns.
I calculated that on the salary whilst at the academy, it would be very tight, taking home approx $1,100 a week. But I had budgeted for everything in that, rent, bills, car, insurance, TV, phones, food, some entertainment (not much), just the essentials for living. Don't forget that WAPol are due a salary increase in July, which will add another $3-4,000 a year to your basic salary. After you finish at the academy, your salary will increase by approx $5,000 and then you'll be earring shift penalties and overtime. I've been told to add about $150 a week. Plus, if you have children you may be eligible for child benefit (most new comers wait to claim this at the end of the first year so they don't end up paying back money, apparently) and also rent assistance.
This is what I've been told/researched from this site and others. While it might seem thight initially most seem to survive and once you're out of the academy, things will get easier.
What is the rent of places you've been looking at? I've seen some nice places around $450-500 a week in reasonable suburbs.
The other thing I've been told is that very few households only have one income, if its just you then you should be ok, but if you're a family then your partner/wife will need to find work. No point in going and struggling to live.
Here is a post I put on a few months ago http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784628
You'll see there's a variety of opinions, and I've got the initial rent at $400, which I've since upped.
Hope that helps, but you've got to be sure you can survive over there before making the jump. If you can't, or think it'll be a struggle even earning potentially $100k a year, then don't do it. It'll only make you want to return to the UK more. However, if you're to going to be any worse off in Austin, and can cope with a fantastic quality/way of life then go for it.

Just my opinions, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime. For me as an Aussie in the UK, I'm jumping at it and will be doing everything I can to go.
Old May 25th 2013, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Nottsscouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gregster10217
There are a number of threads on the cost of living on the site, so unfortunately yours is not a new topic, but I have researched this as I've applied and had the same concerns.
I calculated that on the salary whilst at the academy, it would be very tight, taking home approx $1,100 a week. But I had budgeted for everything in that, rent, bills, car, insurance, TV, phones, food, some entertainment (not much), just the essentials for living. Don't forget that WAPol are due a salary increase in July, which will add another $3-4,000 a year to your basic salary. After you finish at the academy, your salary will increase by approx $5,000 and then you'll be earring shift penalties and overtime. I've been told to add about $150 a week. Plus, if you have children you may be eligible for child benefit (most new comers wait to claim this at the end of the first year so they don't end up paying back money, apparently) and also rent assistance.
This is what I've been told/researched from this site and others. While it might seem thight initially most seem to survive and once you're out of the academy, things will get easier.
What is the rent of places you've been looking at? I've seen some nice places around $450-500 a week in reasonable suburbs.
The other thing I've been told is that very few households only have one income, if its just you then you should be ok, but if you're a family then your partner/wife will need to find work. No point in going and struggling to live.
Here is a post I put on a few months ago http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784628
You'll see there's a variety of opinions, and I've got the initial rent at $400, which I've since upped.
Hope that helps, but you've got to be sure you can survive over there before making the jump. If you can't, or think it'll be a struggle even earning potentially $100k a year, then don't do it. It'll only make you want to return to the UK more. However, if you're to going to be any worse off in Austin, and can cope with a fantastic quality/way of life then go for it.

Just my opinions, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime. For me as an Aussie in the UK, I'm jumping at it and will be doing everything I can to go.
It's all about finding a nice 'burb to live in. Good reply. Getting by is ok too, lots of free stuff to do by the looks of things.
Old May 25th 2013, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, just need to wait and see what happens with the application. Does anyone know what the medical is like.?
Old May 25th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spudboy

Likewise $$ is my concern too. I've got a 2bed house in uk easy travel into town for work. Concerned I won't get the same in Oz but yet want to make the move.
My application is stuck n Singapore hope it gets to Wapol by Weds.

My other concern is come next July I'm going to be 200/300 a month better off mortgage wise.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Saxon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, one funny thing about WA is that your mortgage repayments can end up being lower than rent if you're prepared to build a new 3x2 or 4x2 townhouse in the southern suburbs.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:52 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

I'm not worrying too much about the cost of living. I don't expect to be significantly better off financially. I'm doing it for the experience and the better quality of life. I know I'll always regret it if I don't give it a go.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:19 am
Just Joined

rhianne_c is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a website called Numbeo. It gives comparisons between UK cities and pretty much any other city across the world for living expenses.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhianne_c
Try a website called Numbeo. It gives comparisons between UK cities and pretty much any other city across the world for living expenses.
Or try our own BE forum which has more experiences of expats who have moved to Aus than you can shake a stick at

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54