British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Cayman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/cayman-923477/)

jim2001 Mar 23rd 2019 6:27 pm

Cayman

Hi,

I see RCIP are doing a rolling experienced recruitment process.

Anyone have recent experience?
​​​​​​
Im a sgt at present and understand the roles are for Constables. Can anyone tell me if the wage would be enough for myself, partner and 2 kids? What are the current working practices like and is it worth it?

Want to bring the kids up in an outdoor lifestyle, unfortunately oz or Canada ain't recruiting and as we know the UK ain't getting any brighter.

My other half would be gaining employment also

Cheers

notbrazil Mar 24th 2019 10:08 am

Re: Cayman

Originally Posted by jim2001 (Post 12659003)
Hi,

I see RCIP are doing a rolling experienced recruitment process.

Anyone have recent experience?
​​​​​​
Im a sgt at present and understand the roles are for Constables. Can anyone tell me if the wage would be enough for myself, partner and 2 kids? What are the current working practices like and is it worth it?

Want to bring the kids up in an outdoor lifestyle, unfortunately oz or Canada ain't recruiting and as we know the UK ain't getting any brighter.

My other half would be gaining employment also

Cheers

In a similar boat to yourself, I'm also a sergeant and though it wouldn't bother me going back to constable, I'd want to know how their promotion processes work and also how quickly you can go up the payscale (the lower end of the advertised salary - 39k - seems low.)

My father currently lives in Cayman so I have some idea of the cost of living. I understand that everything is extortionately expensive. Food is up to 100% more than in the UK, rent is very high (at least £900 for a one-bed flat) and used cars are three or four times more expensive - I remember my dad paying £1500 or more for a twenty year old car that would've been scrapped in Britain. Even though the salary is tax free, I would say that you may struggle on 39k.

I'm going over there next month for a visit and I'm trying to organise a meeting with RCIPS HR to see if I can get a few questions answered. Government jobs there tend to offer relocation packages, health insurance (which you need) and end-of-contract bonuses, but I don't see anything like that on the job advert. It's a beautiful spot, but not without its problems, least of all the cost of living which is very, very high. It's a tough one.

Nairobi Jack Mar 26th 2019 11:55 pm

is the place similar to Bahamas and does it have nice beaches and palm trees?sounds a nice place.

Lookingforsunshine Apr 25th 2019 10:00 am

My wife and I have both applied... still waiting 'very' patiently for some sort of a response from RCIPS. It does seem a very laid back application process!

wd40 May 7th 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Lookingforsunshine (Post 12675571)
My wife and I have both applied... still waiting 'very' patiently for some sort of a response from RCIPS. It does seem a very laid back application process!

Any reply yet? I’ve had nada!

Lookingforsunshine May 7th 2019 8:05 am

No, still nothing. We feel like our life is on hold!

wd40 May 7th 2019 8:08 am

Crazy! I get the feeling they don’t actually want applications in a rush. Maybe they added it to the website too soon or something, because actually tracking down an application form was a bit of a mission. Word is they’re after October/November starters?

Lookingforsunshine May 7th 2019 8:20 am

That would be fine, as long as we knew a timescale we would feel a bit more comfortable. It's the not knowing that is the hardest. Where did you hear about the October ish start?

wd40 May 7th 2019 8:24 am

Yeah it is annoying to say the least... Definitely no certainty behind it but a cop over there suggested that’s what the rumours were. Did you get the form from the government website?

Lookingforsunshine May 7th 2019 8:27 am

We completed the one initially attached to the DC advertisement which was later removed.. just updated it with Uniform responses. It was the same form.

wd40 May 7th 2019 8:48 am

Oh fair enough. How long have you been waiting for a response if you don’t mind me asking? I only put mine in maybe around 20th April?

Lookingforsunshine May 7th 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by wd40 (Post 12680261)
Oh fair enough. How long have you been waiting for a response if you don’t mind me asking? I only put mine in maybe around 20th April?

We submitted for the uniformed roles mid March.

wd40 May 7th 2019 9:12 am

Wow that is a delay!

Nairobi Jack May 7th 2019 12:33 pm

"the Constable is the backbone of the police force"

Jamesy5008 May 8th 2019 4:36 pm

Please feel free to PM me everyone. I'm currently here as a uniformed cop.