Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL POLICE RECRUITMENT

CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL POLICE RECRUITMENT

Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road
Default CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL POLICE RECRUITMENT

Hay Expats

Does anyone know when either Edmonton, Calgary or Toronto Police are likely to be recruiting Internationally again?

Are any smaller forces taking Int applications now?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old Aug 30th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

littlebear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL POLICE RECRUITMENT

I know Calgary are not at the mo but defo keep a close eye out for the future.Have you emailed there recruitment dept direct?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

I emailed the Calgary Police Recruitment the other day and was told since I'm a Canadian citizen everything should be ok and such, but that I would need to provide them with a Social Insurance Number.

Since I don't have one.....little point in me submitting any paperwork until I have it since I can't apply for a SIN outside the country to the best of my knowledge!

Basically means my hopes for applying at the moment are on hold until I have that little but oh so very important little number!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
I emailed the Calgary Police Recruitment the other day and was told since I'm a Canadian citizen everything should be ok and such, but that I would need to provide them with a Social Insurance Number.

Since I don't have one.....little point in me submitting any paperwork until I have it since I can't apply for a SIN outside the country to the best of my knowledge!

Basically means my hopes for applying at the moment are on hold until I have that little but oh so very important little number!
Yes you can apply for a SI number whilst outside Canada - you can submit a request for an SI number and card by mail.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/a...applying.shtml

Applying by mail
If you need to apply by mail, please follow these steps:
•download an application from our Web site, or order the form by phone; and
•send us your completed application, documents, and payment, if required.

Service Canada
Social Insurance Registration Office
PO Box 7000
Bathurst NB E2A 4T1

If you send your application by registered mail, we will return your documents in the same way. We are not responsible for documents lost in the mail.

You will receive your SIN card in the mail within 20 business days.

Application form: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-b...nas2120&ln=eng

Documents required:
Canadian citizens
Certificate of Birth or Birth Certificate issued by the vital statistics agency in the province or territory where you were born (Note: We do not accept Quebec proof-of-birth documents issued prior to 1994).

Certificate of Canadian Citizenship issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad issued prior to 1977 by CIC.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 13th 2011 at 6:45 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

drewboy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nelson,

How did you go about gaining Canadian Citizenship, I am looking into it at the moment but I am not sure the best route to go down.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drewboy10
How did you go about gaining Canadian Citizenship, I am looking into it at the moment but I am not sure the best route to go down.
Presumably by either being born there, having a parent that was born there, or living in Canada for at least 3 years as a Permanent Resident - those are the only three ways to get Canadian citizenship. Which of those would be your route?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Originally Posted by drewboy10
Hi Nelson,

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Well, I was kinda fortunate. I believe the immigration rules changed a few years ago, but I was able to get Canadian citizenship because my grandfather was Canadian.

The High Commission pretty much said they already considered us Canadian citizens.....us being me, my dad and any of his children, and it was just a case of if we wanted our Citizenship, we just had to claim it. We did, and a short while later, it came through
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Paradiseapplebody is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I was kinda fortunate. I believe the immigration rules changed a few years ago, but I was able to get Canadian citizenship because my grandfather was Canadian.

The High Commission pretty much said they already considered us Canadian citizens.....us being me, my dad and any of his children, and it was just a case of if we wanted our Citizenship, we just had to claim it. We did, and a short while later, it came through
That is not the case anymore. You don't just get it via registeration anymore, just on the basis of being British. Now the requirements to become are the same for British citizens as it is for the Chinese.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paradiseapplebody
That is not the case anymore. You don't just get it via registeration anymore, just on the basis of being British. Now the requirements to become are the same for British citizens as it is for the Chinese.
Yeah as I said, things have changed now. But a few years ago, they gave it to my dad because he is obviously the son of a Canadian citizen. And thus, we were able to get it on similar grounds through my grandfather being Canadian.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

bigchief is an unknown quantity at this point

Nelson
How long ago did you obtain citizenship. My wife's grandfather (now passed away) moved to Canada when he was very young, living there for 6 years and I believe he obtained citizenship before returning to UK. I am trying to find out if his children / grandchildren could apply for citzenship on this basis.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigchief
Nelson
How long ago did you obtain citizenship. My wife's grandfather (now passed away) moved to Canada when he was very young, living there for 6 years and I believe he obtained citizenship before returning to UK. I am trying to find out if his children / grandchildren could apply for citzenship on this basis.
His children may be Canadian citizens (although not the grandchildren), but you can take the test on the CIC website to check for yourself - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp