Canadian dilemma

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

respecttradition is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Canadian dilemma

As a serving Officer in the UK, I am looking to move to Canada as soon as I receive a visa. Here's my dilemma, should I concentrate all my efforts on becoming a Canadian Police Officer, or should I look for something else? The trouble with being a plod is you get to see the horrible side of the place you work and i don't want Canada to be spoilt for me. Can any serving Canadian officers advise re this or anyone else advise me on the availability of other jobs suitable for a former plod? Many thanks
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian dilemma

I'm a serving officer in UK too (Hants). I have a friend in Edmonton he says policing over there is much much better than here. Less paperwork! Much more respect. I suppose it could change province to province. I have applied and waiting a descision, but I have also applied to security firms who snapped my hand off!! Made me feel wanted at least! Although the pay isnt great for security it depends what job they offer and you can rise pretty quick. PM me if you like. Cheers Bob.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:04 am
Just Joined

zippy007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Could you tell me what security firms you contacted that were interested in British cops? Thanks. Simon
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Lowestoft will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by respecttradition
As a serving Officer in the UK, I am looking to move to Canada as soon as I receive a visa. Here's my dilemma, should I concentrate all my efforts on becoming a Canadian Police Officer, or should I look for something else? The trouble with being a plod is you get to see the horrible side of the place you work and i don't want Canada to be spoilt for me. Can any serving Canadian officers advise re this or anyone else advise me on the availability of other jobs suitable for a former plod? Many thanks
Hi.. Looking to move, and join the same force in Ontario, as my brother who's already there. He was surprised by the large amount of paperwork, but he is ex-met and not used to putting pen to paper....
He has had no problem at all working in the same area he lives, and has found the public attitude to police totally different in Canada, .
He works in the main town of his county, about 30 miles outside Toronto, and there is approximately the same amount of crime as you would expect to find in a town of similar size in a quiet county over here.