Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Canadian bleep test is not the same as Uk one

Canadian bleep test is not the same as Uk one

Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough
Default Canadian bleep test is not the same as Uk one

The bleep test or shuttle run used in Canada is modified, firstly, it is done over 20 metres, the UK police tend to use 15 metres making it obviously easier. The Canadian one's bleeps advance faster than in the UK also.

They start the test off at level 3 I think and go up to 6.5. In the UK it starts from 0 goes to 5.4 barely above a fast walk, except Scotland where it is now 8.8 or 9 I think.

But 6.5 on the Canadian is equivalent, due to the extra 5 metres and faster bleeps, to aboput level 9 in UK.

Just for info.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 3:51 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian bleep test is not the same as Uk one

Originally Posted by guyfawkes
The bleep test or shuttle run used in Canada is modified, firstly, it is done over 20 metres, the UK police tend to use 15 metres making it obviously easier. The Canadian one's bleeps advance faster than in the UK also.

They start the test off at level 3 I think and go up to 6.5. In the UK it starts from 0 goes to 5.4 barely above a fast walk, except Scotland where it is now 8.8 or 9 I think.

But 6.5 on the Canadian is equivalent, due to the extra 5 metres and faster bleeps, to aboput level 9 in UK.

Just for info.
not sure where you get your info from, though i know it does differ from force to force even though its not supposed to. EPS you are expected in recruit training to be hitting 10 min if aged up to 35yrs. then it drops to 8, 35-40yrs. not sure after that.
you do start at a walk, though admittedly it does seem faster than the UK.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough

Where do I get my info? personal experience and also I have both the Canadian and British bleep tests on CD.

The Canadian one is also used in Canadian Forces and is standardised for North America and it is higher than the UK in pace.

The UK police has a slower pace though you start from 0. The UK police shortened the distance to 15 from 20 m, possibly for H and S reasons.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:56 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guyfawkes
Where do I get my info? personal experience and also I have both the Canadian and British bleep tests on CD.

The Canadian one is also used in Canadian Forces and is standardised for North America and it is higher than the UK in pace.

The UK police has a slower pace though you start from 0. The UK police shortened the distance to 15 from 20 m, possibly for H and S reasons.
Well all I can say is there appears to be local variances even though as I acknowledged above it should be standard. as I actually took it last week, my figures are accurate.