Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Canada Police ride along opportunities.

Canada Police ride along opportunities.

Old Jul 7th 2014, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

ryzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada Police ride along opportunities.

Good evening from rainy England. Can anyone offer any information regards to the following please....?

I am planning a trip to Canada this September. I have not yet decided exactly where i will be going, but would like to know what areas, if any, offer ride along opportunities with the Police. I am a cop in England with ten years experience and would like to go out with the Canadian Police to see how they operate. I'd seriously like to move to Canada and will be using this trip as a 'recce', so to speak.

If anyone knows of any Departments that are welcoming of this sort of thing it would be greatly appreciated. I'll then see if i can contact them and confirm in writing. Calgary and Edmonton have already been mentioned as possibilities....?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Police ride along opportunities.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Do you already have Canadian PR? I'd imagine that would make a ride along much more likely as they'll know you are employable then.

There's a sub-forum for police officers on BE, this might be better asked there, but your call - just let me know if you want it moved.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Canada Police ride along opportunities.

Hi, thanks for the reply! No i don't have PR status, it's something i'm looking into as the Police won't sponsor international applicants for Visas currently.

In the UK and America the Police run this system for people interested in the Police. Just sign a waver and data protection forms and they facilitate going out with the officers for the experience. Basically what i'm looking to do.

If you could move this post to a more relevant area, that would be great! Thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

The Vancouver Police Department do ride alongs for anyone that is interested.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

@nativenewyorker - Thanks! The first PD on my email list.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryzie
Hi, thanks for the reply! No i don't have PR status, it's something i'm looking into as the Police won't sponsor international applicants for Visas currently.
Ah, I see. Do you have another route to a visa then, a spouse perhaps? Definitely something to look in to before your recce trip.

I'll move your thread now, best of luck.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

@christmas - Thanks. I've been to various parts of Canada before and know that the Visa situation is going to be tough if not impossible for me. I have no immediate family or spouse there and can't apply to the Police without a PR status.

However, i'm currently in a position to sustain my living for a long period of time and have no dependents with me. I would go to anywhere in Canada and do any sort of work available which would meet the Visa requirements. I'm half treating this trip as a holiday/recce trip. Then i'll weigh up my options for the future on returning home.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

The police in Edmonton have a ride along program. Speak to the right people and you could have an expat. PM me if you're interested.