British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Canada international recruitment 2014 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/canada-international-recruitment-2014-a-820511/)

nige1521 Mar 12th 2014 7:21 pm

Re: Canada international recruitment 2014

Hi all,

Just to clarify a few things for you all.

I am a serving Police Officer with the Edmonton Police Service and Ex North Wales Police. I am currently working out of the Recruiting and Selection Unit for Edmonton Police.

We have no firm plans to recruit internationally as it stands today, due to high visa processing times (27 months) from the CIC.

If this changes, I will post on here, as well as direct potential applicants to the JoinEPS website.

If you have any further questions please feel free to send me a PM on here
Nige

Redcap5517 Mar 12th 2014 10:29 pm

Nige many thanks for the update.

cotty74 Mar 13th 2014 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 11112482)
Hi, hot off the press, Edmonton Police Service, may, and I stress may, be recruiting in the near future. This I should imagine would take the form of the previous recruitment drive, that is several job fairs in the UK where you would sit the basic entrance exam and submit your application. From here the remainder of the tests take place in Canada and you are responsible for the costs. Keep your eye on UK police magazines and the EPS web site.

Very basically you are paid during training, you go through as a recruit and are treated as such prior experience not withstanding, you are paid at the 5yr constable salary, you are responsible for ALL relocation costs-though some money may become available for this and you will be expected to pass all the required testing, i.e. physical, don't think because you have experience you can get away with it, you can't, they will fail you and it's a long trip back.

When I have further details, if I have further details and it looks like it may go ahead will publish on here for everyone. I have no further details at this time.

All the best, Rae.

ps I have not posted on here for several years but if you look up old posts you will get the general idea of my background if interested.

***** hi i can confirm eps MAY be looking at the u.k in the near future. i spoke with them a week ago. the issue is the canadian immigration system.its all changed from what it was a few years back.A few bobbies from my current force are out there.KIV its very very cold out there********

christmasoompa Mar 13th 2014 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by cotty74 (Post 11171142)
***** hi i can confirm eps MAY be looking at the u.k in the near future. i spoke with them a week ago. the issue is the canadian immigration system.its all changed from what it was a few years back.A few bobbies from my current force are out there.KIV its very very cold out there********

Post above from Nige1521, who actually works for the recruiting side of EPS says there's no current plans to recruit internationally.

But in any event, if people really want to get out to Canada, then there are a lot more visa routes than just a TWP! So waiting for international recruitment isn't a great idea, far better to be proactive and look at another way in.

Good luck.

nige1521 Mar 15th 2014 2:17 am

A CTV News article released today regarding Edmonton Police Recruitment - http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Nige

cotty74 Mar 15th 2014 8:32 am

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11173684)
A CTV News article released today regarding Edmonton Police Recruitment - http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Nige

Hi Nigel.....interesting article. I read somewhere that there is big money on offer up north on the oil fields/trades etc etc....Hence why folks look elsewhere. I know the other provincial forces are struggling as well to recruit. You would like to think the federal immigration system would give you a chuck on this one as surely its in the interest of the security of the country. Fingers crossed and good luck with the recruitment.

old.sparkles Mar 16th 2014 2:08 am

Originally Posted by cotty74 (Post 11173937)
Hi Nigel.....interesting article. I read somewhere that there is big money on offer up north on the oil fields/trades etc etc....Hence why folks look elsewhere. I know the other provincial forces are struggling as well to recruit. You would like to think the federal immigration system would give you a chuck on this one as surely its in the interest of the security of the country. Fingers crossed and good luck with the recruitment.

I would think that given they are recruiting for a police force, they would be least likely to be given 'a chuck', especially when you look at some of the mistakes and corruption in some police forces :sneaky:

christmasoompa Mar 16th 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11174964)
I would think that given they are recruiting for a police force, they would be least likely to be given 'a chuck', especially when you look at some of the mistakes and corruption in some police forces :sneaky:

Plus police officers aren't on any list of occupations in demand for Canada, so there's certainly no fast tracking their visas for that very reason.

22marcoronaldo Mar 18th 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11175756)
Plus police officers aren't on any list of occupations in demand for Canada, so there's certainly no fast tracking their visas for that very reason.

Hope this is true, gives hope again after the disappointment from
BC Transit Police in November last year!

christmasoompa Mar 19th 2014 10:34 am

Originally Posted by 22marcoronaldo (Post 11179109)
Hope this is true, gives hope again after the disappointment from
BC Transit Police in November last year!

Hope what is true? Did you see Nige's reply in post no. 16 above? Given that he's actually in recruitment for EPS, and says there's no chance of international recruitment in the foreseeable future, it's clearly not going to happen anytime soon.

If you want to get out to Canada, then look at one of the other 50+ visa options, instead of waiting for international recruitment which may never happen. There's plenty of other visa routes, so if you're determined it's definitely possible!

Good luck.

Pincher Mar 19th 2014 11:29 am

As painful as it will be for some, I think there has to be an acknowledgement that the Canadian Police boat has not only sailed, its been sold off and scrapped too.

If your really determined that Canada's for you then look at what is in demand and consider retraining or getting relevant qualifications; healthcare, paramedicine, oil/gas industry and trucking always seem to be there.

My OH, realising her current job didn't translate well abroad retrained as a midwife. It can be done. If I had my time again, I'd have sacked The Job and become a paramedic.

cotty74 Mar 20th 2014 9:31 am

The majority of provincial police forces are recruiting in canada.Yes the police have been taken off the list of occupations that would allow a more smoother ride to a pr visa.So I have to agree the canadian boat may have sailed. My wife is a senior medical staffing officer and recruits/interviews and sorts out pr visa's for medical consultants here in the u.k. So is fully clued up on the process.
By law Canadian Police forces must recruit locally (from canada) this is written into the police act. However if they are failing to recruit the necessary numbers then the only option is to look outside of canada. Therefore the occupation (police officer) becomes in demand and can be reinstated onto the list.
There are almost 60 ways of obtaining a PR Visa for canada. I have looked into this as I was fortunate to complete an engineering apprenticeship many moons ago.With this plus my current role as a Police Officer I was able to obtain a point score of over 67 with immigration. So there are different avenues to explore. The main hurdle for most folks including me is that we have wife's kids/ families etc and therefore the risk needs to be minimised. You can't just simply quit your £38000 a year Police career. You effectivly need a written job offer so you are not risking everything you have built up here in the u.k. Its the old Risk to Reward scenario.I need to be able to keep a level of income coming in to support my family whilst the transition takes place. Hence why these PNIP etc schemes are attrctive.
Things can change very quickly and its a case of being prepared for any scenario. So for me I,m not giving up hope at all. My wife has had this scenario before in her role and tells me it can change. If the powers that be realise there is an issue then they will address it.
Just think we are UK police.... we have a secure career.... we are paid an above average salary....we have a bloody good pension albeit we have took a battering lately, but its still a very very good pension.,,,all this gives us stability and,and in the current climate in the u.k that is a very rare thing. Most folks would kill for that. We get to work out in the open,meet tons of different people and attend to stuff that most people won't ever see in their lifetime. whether it be good and bad. Don't stress it.....roll with it.

christmasoompa Mar 20th 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by cotty74 (Post 11181829)
Yes the police have been taken off the list of occupations that would allow a more smoother ride to a pr visa.

They've never been on the list of eligible occupations for a FSW visa.

Originally Posted by cotty74 (Post 11181829)
There are almost 60 ways of obtaining a PR Visa for canada. I have looked into this as I was fortunate to complete an engineering apprenticeship many moons ago.With this plus my current role as a Police Officer I was able to obtain a point score of over 67 with immigration.

You're aware though that the point score is only one part of the process, and that you either need a job on 'the list' of eligible occupations (as above, police officer isn't on them), or to have a job offer and already be working in Canada on a Temp Work Permit?

As Pincher said, there are ways around it, although personally I don't think retraining is necessary - look at provinces where a job offer isn't needed for the PNP (so you could then arrive as a PR and hopefully go straight in to the police force), or if you have a spouse then see if they can get a job offer. Another popular alternative if you have a spouse is for them to get a study permit, as you'd then get an open work permit and hopefully be able to get PR that way.

Good luck to all of you! :thumbsup:

stewie_griffin Mar 21st 2014 9:36 pm

Recommendations on the internet are fraught with difficulty, but what Nige1521 says can be taken as gospel, at least when it comes to police recruitment in Alberta.

It's hard to explain the pressure that all recruiters (not just police) are under right now in a province which is responsible for around 80% of the economic growth of the country.

nige1521 Mar 26th 2014 9:48 pm

Hi all,

Just to add to my previous post. Any potential UK visit by the Edmonton Police Service, would also depend on the amount of people signing up for the information sessions and test writes.

I will reiterate though, as it stands the Edmonton Police Service has no definate plans to attend the UK.

Please feel free to contact me, my email address is on my previous post.

Nigel