British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Canada international recruitment 2014 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/canada-international-recruitment-2014-a-820511/)

Billsy2014 Jan 6th 2014 9:37 am

Canada international recruitment 2014

Good morning,
I am new here and wondering of anybody knows of any rumours of Canadian international recruiting also the the system for permanent residency? I have head training takes a few months and you don't get paid. I guess like most I have pretty much had enough and want a better life for my family. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

christmasoompa Jan 6th 2014 10:09 am

Re: Canada international recruitment 2014

Originally Posted by Billsy2014 (Post 11065113)
Good morning,
I am new here and wondering of anybody knows of any rumours of Canadian international recruiting also the the system for permanent residency? I have head training takes a few months and you don't get paid. I guess like most I have pretty much had enough and want a better life for my family. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The Canadian police force haven't recruited internationally for years, your only option would be to qualify for PR another way and then apply.

Good luck.

rae Feb 4th 2014 9:34 am

Hi, hot off the press, Edmonton Police Service, may, and I stress may, be recruiting in the near future. This I should imagine would take the form of the previous recruitment drive, that is several job fairs in the UK where you would sit the basic entrance exam and submit your application. From here the remainder of the tests take place in Canada and you are responsible for the costs. Keep your eye on UK police magazines and the EPS web site.

Very basically you are paid during training, you go through as a recruit and are treated as such prior experience not withstanding, you are paid at the 5yr constable salary, you are responsible for ALL relocation costs-though some money may become available for this and you will be expected to pass all the required testing, i.e. physical, don't think because you have experience you can get away with it, you can't, they will fail you and it's a long trip back.

When I have further details, if I have further details and it looks like it may go ahead will publish on here for everyone. I have no further details at this time.

All the best, Rae.

ps I have not posted on here for several years but if you look up old posts you will get the general idea of my background if interested.

jim2001 Feb 4th 2014 10:59 am

Hi Rae,

Thanks for that, gives us some hope as it's been a ghost town on here for quite sometime now!

Jim

rae Feb 4th 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by jim2001 (Post 11112556)
Hi Rae,

Thanks for that, gives us some hope as it's been a ghost town on here for quite sometime now!

Jim

welcome, sorry if the info is a little obscure, just really a process under review at the moment, hopefully it will go ahead but it is far from certain, think a decision may be made later in the year depending how class recruitment goes for the next few classes. i will post on this thread as and when i have news or perhaps nige will. cheers rae.

greggles10984 Feb 5th 2014 8:47 pm

Hello All,

Very new to this site but very interested in heading 'out west' from the uk Just curious if this news is genuine does anyone think that calgary would follow suit and also recruit international applicants??

rae Feb 6th 2014 1:40 am

Originally Posted by greggles10984 (Post 11115288)
Hello All,

Very new to this site but very interested in heading 'out west' from the uk Just curious if this news is genuine does anyone think that calgary would follow suit and also recruit international applicants??

why would you think it was not genuine? just to be clear I have been with EPS since 2007, I am not commenting as someone in your position who may just have heard some rumors generally. It is though just a consideration at this point, very far from actually happening, but it has a chance. I did not wish to give anyone false hope, just some hope in case they were thinking of giving up.

As for Calgary, I understand they have had their issues, I don't get the impression they will head down that road again soon, though you could always come to EPS and transfer after a few years if you wanted I suppose.

christmasoompa Feb 6th 2014 6:48 am

Originally Posted by greggles10984 (Post 11115288)
Hello All,

You do know that Calgary and Edmonton are in the same province? So if you want to 'head West' then it sounds like Edmonton is your best bet (if it happens).

Rae, thanks for posting the info. I just hope it happens now after you've got peoples hopes up. :eek:

rae Feb 6th 2014 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11115803)
You do know that Calgary and Edmonton are in the same province? So if you want to 'head West' then it sounds like Edmonton is your best bet (if it happens).

Rae, thanks for posting the info. I just hope it happens now after you've got peoples hopes up. :eek:

welcome, and yes quite, was not sure whether to share or not, but I know of some people who have since moved on to other countries and even left the police as second choices and alternatives to coming here, so thought even a chance may prompt people to hang in there for a little longer....

christmasoompa Feb 7th 2014 9:53 am

Originally Posted by rae (Post 11116735)
welcome, and yes quite, was not sure whether to share or not, but I know of some people who have since moved on to other countries and even left the police as second choices and alternatives to coming here, so thought even a chance may prompt people to hang in there for a little longer....

Totally get that, will keep my fingers crossed it does happen for anybody interested. :fingerscrossed:

Although anybody that determined to move to Canada can usually find another way to go rather than as a police officer, particularly if they have a spouse. Trouble is, that often means moving to a province that isn't their first choice I guess, so for anybody wanting AB, this would be great.

:)

partridge1 Feb 7th 2014 1:01 pm

rae, i normally just read this forum, but i have joined it purely to say thank you for thinking of folks back here. very kind of you as does give hope to many (inc me). thanks

rae Feb 7th 2014 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by partridge1 (Post 11117971)
rae, i normally just read this forum, but i have joined it purely to say thank you for thinking of folks back here. very kind of you as does give hope to many (inc me). thanks

welcome, just hope as christmasoompa points out it's not false hope, and to make matters more complicated the Canadian Government recently announced changed to the immigration process, increased costs and more hurdles to jump, so it's not getting any easier.

ann m Feb 13th 2014 2:12 am

I believe Calgary already have ten recruit classes set up for 2014 - so, for now, they appear to have sufficient local interest. So unless you can sort out Permanent Residency yourself by other means, I can't think Calgary would be an immediate option.

chrisninja9r Feb 28th 2014 9:45 pm

Hi, I've just joined and would be very keen to hear of any further info on Police recruitment. I have been looking at EPS as I have 20 years experience in the Police in NI and am looking to relocate to Edmonton. Please keep me informed if you hear any news, Many thanks, Chris

Betty2014 Mar 7th 2014 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 11112482)
Hi, hot off the press, Edmonton Police Service, may, and I stress may, be recruiting in the near future. This I should imagine would take the form of the previous recruitment drive, that is several job fairs in the UK where you would sit the basic entrance exam and submit your application. From here the remainder of the tests take place in Canada and you are responsible for the costs. Keep your eye on UK police magazines and the EPS web site.

Very basically you are paid during training, you go through as a recruit and are treated as such prior experience not withstanding, you are paid at the 5yr constable salary, you are responsible for ALL relocation costs-though some money may become available for this and you will be expected to pass all the required testing, i.e. physical, don't think because you have experience you can get away with it, you can't, they will fail you and it's a long trip back.

When I have further details, if I have further details and it looks like it may go ahead will publish on here for everyone. I have no further details at this time.

All the best, Rae.

ps I have not posted on here for several years but if you look up old posts you will get the general idea of my background if interested.

Hi Rae
I really hope you're right..... that would be great news! I had resigned myself to the fact that they wouldn't be recruiting without PR again. Please keep us updated if you hear anything. Myself and my other half are really keen to move over