Canada advice please!

Old Jan 21st 2019, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Mair90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada advice please Edmonton ☺️

Hi all
i didn't want to jump on the bandwagon on someone else's post so hope no one minds if I start a new thread? I would welcome all and any advice please! So I'm a UK cop, still in probation at the moment but that should be over next year!
My dad is actually Canadian and lives in Edmonton along with family. I was reading around and found out I can probably apply for dual citizenship. Looking at everything I'm pretty sure I could get through on the express entry program which would give me PR, from what I've read on other threads Edmonton only requires you to have PR to apply I was wondering if I got my dual citizenship how that would help me if at all? To add to the mix I'm also colour blind but made it through the tests (hoops I had to jump through) I haven't come across any information that says Canadian police can't be colour blind? Alot of questions so I apologize guys but I welcome any and all advice around this.

Thankyou everyone!

Last edited by Mair90; Jan 21st 2019 at 3:09 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada advice please Edmonton ☺️

Originally Posted by Mair90
My dad is actually Canadian and lives in Edmonton along with family. I was reading around and found out I can probably apply for dual citizenship. Looking at everything I'm pretty sure I could get through on the express entry program which would give me PR, from what I've read on other threads Edmonton only requires you to have PR to apply I was wondering if I got my dual citizenship how that would help me if at all?
No idea about the colour blindness, but if you're a citizen then why do you think you need to apply for PR?!? You can't apply for PR via EE if you're already a citizen.

So assuming you are definitely a citizen (i.e. your father was born in Canada), then you simply need to apply for your Canadian passport and you're good to go. If you've got a spouse or children you'll need to sponsor (if your children aren't already citizens too), then pop over to the Canadian immi section of the forum where you'll find loads of good info on how to go about that.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 21st 2019 at 4:00 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Mair90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea about the colour blindness, but if you're a citizen then why do you think you need to apply for PR?!? You can't apply for PR via EE if you're already a citizen.

So assuming you are definitely a citizen (i.e. your father was born in Canada), then you simply need to apply for your Canadian passport and you're good to go. If you've got a spouse or children you'll need to sponsor (if your children aren't already citizens too), then pop over to the Canadian immi section of the forum where you'll find loads of good info on how to go about that.

Good luck.
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeh my dad was definitely born in canada, I hold my British citizen ship and only just realised I could apply for dual. Oh wow I'm going to have to look into this alot more I thought I'd still have to apply to get a pr. Sounds stupid but I didnt know what the status of a Canadian citizen who hasn't lived there would be and if I'd need to apply for pr when getting over. I will have to look into the Canadian immigration side of this I think didn't realize I could just up and go! I'm assuming my wife would have to apply for express entry assuming she's eligible?

Thank you
Old Jan 21st 2019, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeh my dad was definitely born in canada, I hold my British citizen ship and only just realised I could apply for dual. Oh wow I'm going to have to look into this alot more I thought I'd still have to apply to get a pr.
Nope. Permanent Residency is a type of visa, and you can't get a visa for Canada if you're already a citizen!

Sounds stupid but I didnt know what the status of a Canadian citizen who hasn't lived there would be and if I'd need to apply for pr when getting over.
Exactly the same as any other Canadian citizen. A few minor differences i.e. you won't have a credit rating there and will have to start from scratch, you won't have a SIN number and will have to get one, etc, but you have all the same rights as any other citizen.

I will have to look into the Canadian immigration side of this I think didn't realize I could just up and go! I'm assuming my wife would have to apply for express entry assuming she's eligible?
You do need your passport, which can take a while as a first time applicant, but yes, once you've got that you can just get on a plane. Your wife could apply for EE if she's scoring enough, but it would be far easier and better to just sponsor her for PR. There are various advantages, such as her not being able to be refused on medical grounds, and not having to do things like an IELTS exam or get an ECA etc, so that would be better if you can. But have a look at the CIC website for info on sponsoring her, and pop over to the Canadian immi section of the forum if you have any questions. It's a fairly straightforward process, and there is a great FAQ there to help you work it all out too.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada advice please!

I guess you would be aware that Canada has many police forces and I reckon any form of colour blindness would be a recruiting hurdle but if you made it into a UK Force then I suppose your condition would be acceptable in Canada.

I checked the Edmonton Police Website and the following is attached for your information,

International Applicants

Another website that may prove useful in your research is the forum section as follows,

https://www.blueline.ca/

Last edited by IrishDigger; Jan 23rd 2019 at 9:59 am. Reason: Added URL
Old Feb 27th 2019, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Nairobi Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

1. I'm surprised if your dad really is Canadian and you are a police officer you haven't found out obvious information on this yourself which is not exactly rocket science or the rules on Immigration.

2. Anyhow you cannot join the Canadian police if you are colour blind. Period. Much stricter than UK which are more lenient.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nairobi Jack
2. Anyhow you cannot join the Canadian police if you are colour blind. Period. Much stricter than UK which are more lenient.
All 144 police forces? You've checked the requirements for them all?
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yep. Friend of mine is trying get in tried every province. Only two small forces in Manitoba one a 3 man outfit other a 20 man outfit in Winkler take colour blind. Others not interested. Put it this way you can't even join if you wear glasses as a general rule and standards are set provincially so instead of being snide perhaps you'd be better off listening up to someone who knows and is already in the system.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 6:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... so instead of being snide perhaps you'd be better off listening up to someone who knows and is already in the system.
Do you know what "snide" means, or is that something we should leave to an expert too?
Old Feb 28th 2019, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

1. 1.
    derogatory or mocking in an indirect way.
    "snide remarks about my mother"synonyms:disparaging, derogatory, deprecating, deprecatory, denigratory, insulting, vituperative, disapproving, contemptuous; More
  2. 2.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    (of a person) devious and underhand.
    "a snide divorce lawyer"
Old Feb 28th 2019, 7:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Friend of mine is trying get in tried every province. Only two small forces in Manitoba one a 3 man outfit other a 20 man outfit in Winkler take colour blind. Others not interested. Put it this way you can't even join if you wear glasses as a general rule and standards are set provincially so instead of being snide perhaps you'd be better off listening up to someone who knows and is already in the system.
My sister spent over 30 years in policing in Canada. I am aware of the system.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Good for her. I'm part of the system right now so I think I know what I'm talking about.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Theprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond reputeTheprestige94 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
i didn't want to jump on the bandwagon on someone else's post so hope no one minds if I start a new thread? I would welcome all and any advice please! So I'm a UK cop, still in probation at the moment but that should be over next year!
My dad is actually Canadian and lives in Edmonton along with family. I was reading around and found out I can probably apply for dual citizenship. Looking at everything I'm pretty sure I could get through on the express entry program which would give me PR, from what I've read on other threads Edmonton only requires you to have PR to apply I was wondering if I got my dual citizenship how that would help me if at all? To add to the mix I'm also colour blind but made it through the tests (hoops I had to jump through) I haven't come across any information that says Canadian police can't be colour blind? Alot of questions so I apologize guys but I welcome any and all advice around this.

Thankyou everyone!
Could you pm me I'm a UK cop and had colour vision stuff. Sure I've done research before and Canadian tests is the Farnworth d15
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

1. I'm surprised if your dad really is Canadian and you are a police officer you haven't found out obvious information on this yourself which is not exactly rocket science or the rules on Immigration.

And you accuse oher people of being snide...........
Old Mar 6th 2019, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Let me explain something. If you're a Canadian like I am you know this all your life. That's the way it is. All I'm seeing here is a lot of weepy whining from people on the outside scratching at the Windows trying to get in. Aw shucks if I come across as a bit vinegary. Whoever said I'm.Mr Nice Guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.