calgary polygraph test

Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default calgary polygraph test

im in the process of applying for the calgary police. luckily ive got PR status and im off there this month to hand in my application and spend a few days with them on ride alongs etc.

im a UK officer, currently a firearms officer on the ARV with over 4 years experience. 24 yrs old.

now im happy with most of the application, but the polygraph worries me a bit. more fear of the unknown i think. but i did have a few scrapes when i was a kid. is this going to be held against me? it was all 10 years ago, but im obviously still going to be honest.

is that what they are after? like one i can think of is the theft one, me and some other kids once nicked a bottle of milk from a doorstep, things like that. are they going to be held against me?
i think my main worry is i was a bit of a lad when i was a kid, nothing serious, but to be honest i will have to answer yes to a few of the questions.

also the "have you been violent?" questions, well as a front line police officer ive obviously lawfully done this in my duties, does that count?

experiences of someone who has sat the test will be much appreciated.

also what is the psych test? ive only heard about it on here.

ta
scott
(ps its the other halfs log in, hence the girly name)
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Davie McCaig will become famous soon enough
Default Re: calgary polygraph test

Scott,

With regards to the polygraph, I have disclosed everything I did as a "youngster" which between you and me were pretty shocking. Just remember this there are guys within Calgary Police who used to be military personnel and they passed ok....think of the things they get up to.

I have a friend who has been over recently and passed who disclosed something he did whilst on duty as an officer and it is pretty shocking.

Regarding the part of the disclosure form where it asks questions about "being violent" then if it is in the course of your duty and was lawful then no don't disclose that as you have done nothing wrong. I told them about a time when playing soccer I punched a guy and they were ok with that....and also about a time when as a student I worked in a petrol station I used to help myself to the sweets crisps etc and again ok with that...Don't be afraid to tell them everything as they will know when you are lying and as I stated above remember the military guys and imagine what they disclosed!!!

I am also heading over in at the end of this month so I'll let you know what to expect. Which force are you in...I am also an ARV officer with Strathclyde , Scotland

Dave
Old Jan 4th 2007, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calgary polygraph test

Scott - Hi - hubby has just returned from Calgary - doing all 5 tests whilst out there - (is it only firearms officers applying at the moment?!).

Disclose everything !! Your form will cover most things - own up. A detective will go through the form with you, asking you all about everything you've put on there - this can take about 3 hours - and his questioning is quite clever 'cos it makes you re-think of some scenarios - or suddenly you remember more detail on stuff.

Hubby has been 'violent' in the course of his work - not a problem - hubby nicked stuff as a youngster - not a problem - and walked off from work with stationery, etc ... and some other stuff but I'm not disclosing !!!

The actual polygraph 'hook up' is only about 20 minutes long - the detective will decide which questions to ask you about - these are based on what you have already talked about - so no surprises.

The polygraph system won't distinguish between a little white lie and a whopper ! The detective gave an example of two people who came over for the tests. One told the truth,although it related to some quite serious offences, he was deferred - the other person relayed circs of a minor offence but because he did not tell the whole truth about it, he failed the test.

On your other question ref the pysch test - this took about 3 hours or so - and involved sitting down answering approx 450 questions - so unless you fancy sheep, want to hang yourself or like fire - you should be OK !!!

On the whole, hubby found the whole process fairly painless, everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Any other problems or queries - do feel free to PM us.

Good luck