Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary Police Vision Standards

Calgary Police Vision Standards

Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road
Default Calgary Police Vision Standards

Hi to everyone on the forums, im new here with a depressing first post

Ive been planning to move to Canada and the CPS for the past year and it has now become financially viable for my partner and i to do so.

Today i went for my eye exam as per the CPS application and i failed on two parts - firstly my unaided vision was not high enough but my aided (with contacts) was perfect and i am colour blind. Thats two big NO ticks on the form.

Anyone else out there had similar circumstances, did they let you through because your aided vision was high enough or is it going to be a big NO

I have emailed the CPS but wonded if anyone had experienced the same.

Ashley
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Police Vision Standards

ashleyg - hi

First of all, a huge percentage of males will have some spectrum of colourblindness (if that's a word!) so you are not alone. CPS might ask for a more in-depth test, rather than the pass/fail of a simple test from the optician. Do a google on the "Farnsworth" test. This is a more comprehensive test which you could do privately if CPS deem it necessary. How colour blind are you? Did it cause any problems with joining your UK force? I suspect this might not be a major stumbling block.

On your other question, a guy on my husband's course failed the vision test - and I don't have details yet of why, or what on - but he ended up going to Vancouver for laser treatment then had to wait three months for his eyes to 'settle down' before he could commence training. I'll try and find out over next few days if this was a general 'without aid' problem. Personally, I'm blind as a bat without my contacts so I would probably fail !

I guess I'd just email Stewart O'Neil or whoever your file manager is and simply ask outright .... good luck
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calgary Police Vision Standards

Ann

Thanks for your reply. I havent got a file manager yet, im not even at that stage

I just got a reply from the CPS stating even though unaided vision is yes/no on the application form, aided vision is all that matters so thats good!

In regards to colour blindness, the normal test i couldnt make out any of them but i have booked the Farnworth test for next week and was told most people pass that, i hope so!

Also none of the above mattered when i joined the Met so hopefully wont be a problem although it would be interested to find out why the guy you mentioned had to stop training...

Ashley