Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary Police Polygraph Test

Calgary Police Polygraph Test

Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

AwesomeMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary Police Polygraph Test

I am interested in joining the CPS - the only concern is, like many people, the polygraph test. Do they just ask you the questions on the pre- employment questionaire? Secondly, if you answered yes to a question do they ask you more indepth?
Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

paddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Police Polygraph Test

Hi,

Quick answer....They will ask you about everything...They will go throught the preanswered questions and then dig deeper.. Have you stolen anything? No.... Are you sure...Let me take you back to when you were a little kid. Did you every take money from your mums purse etc etc..

Thats just for the no answers.. Answer yes and they will expect a full explaination.

Just be honest..The guys have heard it all before. At the end of all the questioning you will be put on the polygraphy and then all the answers are yes or no.. No discussions.

Are you withholding any information about your use of illegal drugs?

Are you withholding any information about any dishonesty crimes you have commited?

Etc etc. It is crap but has to be done...
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

AwesomeMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyonway
Hi,

Quick answer....They will ask you about everything...They will go throught the preanswered questions and then dig deeper.. Have you stolen anything? No.... Are you sure...Let me take you back to when you were a little kid. Did you every take money from your mums purse etc etc..

Thats just for the no answers.. Answer yes and they will expect a full explaination.

Just be honest..The guys have heard it all before. At the end of all the questioning you will be put on the polygraphy and then all the answers are yes or no.. No discussions.

Are you withholding any information about your use of illegal drugs?

Are you withholding any information about any dishonesty crimes you have commited?

Etc etc. It is crap but has to be done...
Hi
You helped me a great deal - I just have one question that if its okay with you I kind of ask again and elaborate on my one question. I understand the pree screening when they ask you the questions a little more indepth; when they hook you up to the polygraph do they just re-ask the you the questions of the off the personal disclosure or it it completely different questions. Secondly do they go over the questions with you before they hook you up and ask you?
Thanks
Joel
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

paddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joel,

Questions of the pre-disclosure are before hand... On the poly you are asked about 10 questions yes or no answers. Cant remember if they tell you the questions before hand.

There are no trick questions etc it is all very straight forward.

Everyone worries about it, including me for various reasons but be honest and all should all be fine. They have heard it all before.. Some of the testers are police with 20-30 years service so you will not be telling them anything they have not already heard.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

AllanG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AwesomeMe
Hi
You helped me a great deal - I just have one question that if its okay with you I kind of ask again and elaborate on my one question. I understand the pree screening when they ask you the questions a little more indepth; when they hook you up to the polygraph do they just re-ask the you the questions of the off the personal disclosure or it it completely different questions. Secondly do they go over the questions with you before they hook you up and ask you?
Thanks
Joel
Hi Joel

Paddyonway is accurate in his assessment of the polygraph -

The guy who did my polygraph had 25-30 years experience in this field - just tell the truth and like Paddy says, they would have probably already heard what ever you may have to say.

I guess if a person reads the questionnaire and any really major issues arise for them, they won't even apply.

Regards Allan

Last edited by AllanG; Nov 11th 2008 at 4:33 am.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

You might want to remember this little gem but don't tell the tester as you will only rile him or her. The only thing a polygraph proves is the machine works!

If you are worried about it ask yourself why? It is as others have said here a relatively painless infact I would say boring procedure. The questions are straightforward. Do not look to Hollywood for your assessment of polygraphs. For some reason Canada and the USA swear by them. I think it might have more to do with the exchange of $$. As in jobs for the boys... or in this case the polygraph administrator.