Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary Police Application

Calgary Police Application

Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

DannyG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary Police Application

Hello everyone

We (my family) are giving some serious thought to applying to CPS. I'm fairly comfortable with the research needed before such a life changing move. Can anyone advise on this specific one:
I have read that they recognise experience to equate to their class 1 constable. Do they recognise rank or does it have any bearing one in? (I am a serving Inspector - slightly disillusioned with UK like the est of you)

Any thoughts appreciated,
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Police Application

With over 5 years of UK service, this experience is recognised and you are put at 1st class constable pay scale from day one. You start at 12 days annual leave (but do not get leave for the first year).

After that, I would have to say that no - the rest of your experience or rank is not hugely taken into account - and you will start from scratch again, and will need to build up your Calgary experience and reputation again. You will not be offered the opportunity to go for rank again any faster than anyone else. However, once you do get going, you may wish to push your career hard.

A few officers of rank have joined - others have re-thought the plans and have not come over - some have been fine once they got here and 'sucked it up' and other have left. Highly experienced constables with oodles of training and experience behind them must put this to one side, and understand the need to be the probationer again. I feel the need to highlight this point - as it is one thing to say "oh, I'll be fine, I don't mind going back to the beginning again" - and it is another thing to actually do it. Think long and hard whether you are willing and able to do this. It makes for a much easier transition if you can.

After three, four or five years, go for other posts, go for promotion and fill your boots

Good luck
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

snoopdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Take note of the sound advice above.....you will most certainly have to swallow your pride and get on with it and dont underestimate the kicking your ego will take!!

If you're coming here solely for the job then don't bother....you may think the UK policing is bad however the laws and level of proactive Policing in the uk far outweigh what you will have here.

However there is less crime here, the standard of living is better and the sun actually shines here. Plus CPS acknowledge experience to an extent which is reflected on which pay scale you start on.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your candid replies....no it's not the work that draws me/us...its the life style. The pride thing probably depends on the individual. I don't think it would be a massive issue for me! As it happens CPS are only taking expressions of interest at the moment however, EPS are recruiting and as someone has pointed out, they pay $2000 entrance and bonus and an extra $2000 relocation. Food for thought. Overall...was the move to Canada worth it for you and your families?? (General Q I know)
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DannyG
Overall...was the move to Canada worth it for you and your families?? (General Q I know)
After 18 months, I can say yes. But there were some dodgy weekends thrown into the mix and some hard times and decisions to be made. It was not all plain sailing (have a look at my one-year anniversary thread in the Canniversary section) and some serious adjustments in attitudes and outlook to be made by all members in the household

Do not come here for the job. However, bear in mind that you will be in that job for more than 40 hours a week - so it must have some hold and offer some fulfillment for you.

It's all very well to say that you are coming for the lifestyle - but analyse what that means to you and your family. One can't ski or skate, or hike or do whatever one feels that Canada offers all the time. One must still earn a living and do the shopping and the washing and all that mundane stuff!

We have had some fantastic times as a family and overall, we have a calmer, better life here now. We still miss friends and family (who doesn't?) and finally we can say we are so glad we made the move. CPS pays the bills.

Happy for private messages if there is anything else you want to know ...
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

craney is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know whether CPS are likely to accept international applications in the future or are they getting enough interest from local recruitment now?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ann - I do have plenty of questions!!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

andy722 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Calgary Police Application

Originally Posted by craney
Does anyone know whether CPS are likely to accept international applications in the future or are they getting enough interest from local recruitment now?
Hi,
I am currently in training with the CPS. Last week we had a visit from the recruiting inspector encouraging us to seek new applicants in exchange for $1500 for each sucessful applicant we recruit.
He was asked if they intended to recruit international applicants from the UK again, his reply was that they currently have about 50 Brits still waiting to start. In addition they require 250 new officers for 2009 and are likely to seek out experienced officers from the Uk. However the format they used previously is going to be reviewed. He did not say how they intend to do this.
If I hear any more info about planned recruitment drives I will post it here.
So remember, if anyone from the CPS helps with your application process, include their name in the application somewhere. Many have missed out.
Good luck.
Andy722
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

thanks Andy, that's encouraging news, and if they start looking at UK Officers again next year, I'd happily give a referral name. many thanks and please update or PM me if you hear anything further!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Apollo13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would really like to apply to Calgary Police but I wouldn't be able to appy as an experienced police officer.

I hold a degree in Laws, Diploma Certificate in Criminology, Higher Diploma in Criminology & Psychology and a Master's Degree in International Criminal Justice (all from UK universities). I did some work placements and have also been involved in police training for an international police organisation.

Originally I wanted to join the police in the UK but couldn't (and still can't) fulfill the residency requirements required at the time of application. So I ended up in a different sector.

What kind of opportunities might there be in the CPS for somebody with my background?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

May I ask why Calgary? Are there other elements that would make you look at Calgary, ie, the location/ski-ing, etc, or a personal relationship, or some other draw to this province? I can completely understand the pull of the geography.

Otherwise, professionally, I would direct you to larger or more high profile police organisations with a more diverse and higher quantity/quality of 'customers' and workbase. Calgary is a city of one million inhabitants and therefore, compared to somewhere like London or Toronto, or other north American cities, your interest in the criminal mind may be better suited to somwhere that offers more diversity in crime.

That's me making huge assumptions of course Your location states you currently live in Berlin. Are you German? Regardless of nationality, I presume you are proficient in English to have done all your studying in the UK? Do you have other connections to Canada that would assist you getting a residence visa quicker? Otherwise, I suspect you need a Temporary Work Permit, and will therefore need to go the route of finding an employer who could not find a Canadian to fill the post, and who is therefore willing to apply for a permit for you ...

Have you looked at the CPS website to see if there are any civilian/analyst/management type positions available? Speak to their recruitment department - they may be able to direct you to specific departments.

Good luck !
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:19 am
Just Joined

What's the attraction about Calgary? Having spent quite a bit of time in Canada (Alberta, Ontario, Quebec & BC) over the past four years (as a visitor), I have found I really like Calgary. I like the fact that at it is near the Rockies (rock climbing!) and has a good cold winter. Despite its smallish size, it also feels very much like an American city.

Although I am a British citizen (born, raised and educated in the UK), I cannot apply for police roles in the UK because applicants have to have been resident in the UK for the three years preceeding application. I would have to go back to the UK for three years before I could even make an application. On the other hand, I cannot work for the police in Germany because I am too old! Their cut- off age for recruits is 31!!! This is why I am stuck in another sector completely.

I would certainly consider going to the US but don't see how I could get a work permit. I do wish UK nationals were allowed to take part in the US Diversity Lottery Programme.

In any event, thanks for taking the time out to reply. I will certainly be taking your advice and having a look at civilian and analyst roles in Canada.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apollo13
What's the attraction about Calgary? Having spent quite a bit of time in Canada (Alberta, Ontario, Quebec & BC) over the past four years (as a visitor), I have found I really like Calgary. I like the fact that at it is near the Rockies (rock climbing!) and has a good cold winter. Despite its smallish size, it also feels very much like an American city.

Although I am a British citizen (born, raised and educated in the UK), I cannot apply for police roles in the UK because applicants have to have been resident in the UK for the three years preceeding application. I would have to go back to the UK for three years before I could even make an application. On the other hand, I cannot work for the police in Germany because I am too old! Their cut- off age for recruits is 31!!! This is why I am stuck in another sector completely.

I would certainly consider going to the US but don't see how I could get a work permit. I do wish UK nationals were allowed to take part in the US Diversity Lottery Programme.

In any event, thanks for taking the time out to reply. I will certainly be taking your advice and having a look at civilian and analyst roles in Canada.
Why not apply as a skilled worker under your qualifications.....and if/when you can apply to CPS then they can just just fast track that visa rather than using one of their PR visas, this might be more appealing to them.

Im sure there are others on this site who have been accepted to CPS without the experience.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dawnzocalgary
Why not apply as a skilled worker under your qualifications.....and if/when you can apply to CPS then they can just just fast track that visa rather than using one of their PR visas, this might be more appealing to them.

Im sure there are others on this site who have been accepted to CPS without the experience.
So is it possible to put in a skilled worker PR application and have it fast-tracked or switched if arranged employment or a PNP nomination materialised?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

I was going to go via this route of applying for PR via the skilled worker visa and then applying to CPS as they no longer accept international applicants. It would seem though that due to new canadian immigration legislation, skilled worker applications without a job offer are unlikely to be successful now even if you reach enough points to apply for the SW visa. CPS have told me you must be a Canadian PR for them to even accept a CPS application at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.