Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary Police Application

Calgary Police Application

Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

g_conaty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary Police Application

Hello

I have recently registered for one of the information and testing sessions to be held by CPS i Glasgow next month and am currently in the process of completing an application form to mail to CPS in time for these testing sessions. I seem to be having some difficulty at present in finding out what it is exactly that i need to send along with my application. The reason for this is due to the fact that these applications are obviosuly tailored for Canadian applicants.

Is there anyone who has recently gone through the application process, is in the application process or is in a similar position to me and waiting to attend the information and testing sessions who could possibly shed some light on what it is exactly that i need to send along with my application package.

Many thanks

Graham
Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:13 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary Police Application

Hi Graham.

I will pass your question onto my hubby who has just compleated his 25 weeks of training with the CPS. He has been working Downtown now for 3 weeks and is throughly enjoying it.
He will be in touch with all the details soon.
We have been living in Calgary since June 2005 and have to say the lifestyle is soo much better than what we had in the Uk, although the shift pattern is pants but from what I can gather it will improve and we cannot moan at the pay wich is already a lot higher than he was on in the Uk with 5 years experience.
Any other questions you can think of in the mean time let us know.

Ali
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for that. At the moment im trying to find out if there are any young applicants with not too much experience who have been successful with the CPS assessment process. I understand how competitive it is and being only 20 with just over 18 months service as a regular PC ive been thinking my chances of success may be limited.

Its an awful long way to travel for an assessment if i get there and discover that the majority of people who are getting through are those with quite a few years more service with families who are emigrating with them or who already have family living out in Canada.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

respecttradition is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that they are so short of suitable applicants that your age will not affect your application. Remember that Canadians are also applying, a Canadian lad who attended the assessments in Edmonton which I did, was only 19 and a student.
Don't worry about your age or your service, they won't be the barrier to your success and once you are there you will soon have a host of new mates!
My motto is No Regrets - it's better to try and decide that its not for you, than regretting not taking up this fantastic opportunity!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Graham - my hubby sent out his application in June and he is going out in December to do the assessments. What bits are you specifically stuck on, or not sure about? Can we help ??!!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m
Graham - my hubby sent out his application in June and he is going out in December to do the assessments. What bits are you specifically stuck on, or not sure about? Can we help ??!!
Thanks for the replies so far.

The only parts i was unsure of is what other documentation i may need to send along with my application, things such as copies of educational certificates or first aid certificates, copies of driving licences or passports etc...
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Graham, as far as I can recall, we did not include copies of much at all with the actual application. When he goes out to Calgary, he will be taking his driving licence, first aid certificates, and a form signed by his GP to say he is alive and well and fit enough to take the physical test. He will probably, as a fail safe, take a whole bunch of certificates with him as well, ie, school/college stuff, plus some of the nationally accredited courses that he has completed whilst in the job. Not sure that anyone would really want to see them, but you never know. To be honest, if there is the odd thing missing, I'm sure they will quietly point it out ! If you've completely cocked up the whole application, then they won't !!

I know you do have to specifically include a recent eye-sight test - easy enough to sort out.

Ref your age, I'm there would not be a problem with that. A friend who recently completed his training said the ages on his intake ranged from about 22 up to 38 - that's just one course - so there must be a huge variation on each intake. Give it a go !! What have you got to lose? Good luck.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Im almost finished completing the application form but have had a couple of spanners thrown into the works. Ive been told i need a driving licence which shouldnt be too much of a problem as i have my test booked for the end of October, however, do you think i would be able to send my application now and then copies of my licence when i gain it? Also, i have been informed that i need copies of first aid certificates, however, Centrex did not provide me with any kind of certificate, simply a tick in the box and a quick signature on my PDP. How did other applicants get around this? Im thinking that if i need a certificate ill have to book myself onto a St John Ambulance course.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Graham - have you contacted Centrex directly ? Or wherever, or whoever provided your first aid training? Someone, somewhere must be able to give you something. It might be that you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself at this point. When my other half transferred to the Met, they gave him a small (credit sized card) card which showed he was trained in 'Emergency Life Support' which has an expiry date (but this was followed up by another course which did end up in a real life certificate - woo hoo) - do you have anything similar ? As a last resort, provide a copy of your PDR with your 'tick in the box' !
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Now that you mention it i was given a card at training school which i have unfortunately misplaced. Im going to spend a day this week hunting out some certificates which im going to send along with my application so i should be able to find a first aid certificate somewhere as ive attended dozens of courses over the past few years. If not then i dont see any harm in refreshing my memory and attending another course to get a crisp new certificate which will extend the length of time i will be valid for.

Hopefully i should have everything together ready for the testing session in Glasogw next month.

At the moment its just a case of getting as much documentation together as possible in order to support my application.

Thanks for all of the help from those of you have have been there, done it and bought the t shirt. Its a bit daunting at the moment applying for a job on the other side of the world.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

ladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the rough

I cant believe how long this form is.

10 refrences I dont know if we know that many people to give a refrence and did you read the list of questions for the lie detector :scared:

When he fills it out I want to see it
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

sarah268 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys
just a quick question.
I have just had my medical form filled in by my local GP. I had to have a colhestrol test and it shows i have slightly high levels. Is this likely to stiop me from being accepted??

Thanks
Sarah
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:27 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ladysurrey
I cant believe how long this form is.

10 refrences I dont know if we know that many people to give a refrence and did you read the list of questions for the lie detector :scared:

When he fills it out I want to see it
Ive just got through the system and believe me they contact all ten of your references and ask for more as well. So think long and hard about the suitability of the people you list.

It would help if you also get an up to date PDR [as many as you can] and get a credit check from an online company called Experian. If you go through the free trial period and get a full print out and then cancel it before they whack a charge into you.

The certificates and other paperwork will be required at the final stage of the interview process.. Tell your Hubby that the system is nothing to be worried about as long as hes put in the work for the written and interviews. Just to be open and completely honest with the polygraph and just do your best with the psycological.......you will come out crazier than you went in believe me!!!!!

Looking back on my experience the whole thing was enjoyable. They are very friendly and cant do enough for you. Let us know how it goes. I start with CPS on 8th Jan 2007.
Good luck
Andrew
Feel free to PM we only have 2 weeks left so youll have to be quick
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:34 am
Just Joined

h_mank351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. First post on here.
I have recently done the tests in london and passed and now have my i/v dates and pare, poloygraph in feb next year, earliest i could do it.
Can anyone give me any hints or words of advice for the next stage. any help would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks

Manny
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

hobbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Calgary Police Application

Hi everyone,
logging on for the first time,

my husband has just visited Calgary and passed the recruitment process and is just about to go to the background checks!!!!!!!!

Just wondered if anyone else is in the same boat?

When he was out there he also spent some time looking at houses in Calgary and some of the towns outwith. He saw a nice house in Cochrane. We will obviously wait and see if the job offer follows, but just wanted to know if anyone else is at this stage or further on and if so if there is anything we need to be doing just now in hopeful preparation for our move?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.