Calgary Police

Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Police

Rich - hi - welcome to BE

I don't know about the stiff competition bit !

Your best bet is to email the Calgary recruitment department. They are continually recruiting and have plenty of spaces to fill as far as I am aware for the forseeable future.

Your difficulty might be that you have read about us lot on here, and most are or have applied under a specific element of their recruitment which has been targetting British officers. Most are applying to go in via the Provincial Nominee Programme, which is where Alberta specifically chooses who it wants for particular (hard to fill) jobs. Calgary has had about 25-27 places to fill in this way (for each of 2007 and 2008) and the competition has been tough.

Another way in, is to already have a Permanent Residence Visa and then just apply like any other 'normal' Canadian - however, these are taking upwards of four years to obtain if you were to apply for one now !!

As I suggested, I would email the recruitment department and ask them very specifically what they can do, or what they suggest you do. And whilst you say you cannot apply till October, I am not sure of the reason for this, but you can 'apply' anytime - and I would - 'cos it's a fairly lengthy process anyway ....

Hope that is of some help - good luck
Old Mar 31st 2007, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

ricki1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply!

The reason I can't apply until October is because I am stuck on a ship until September!

I will shoot off some emails and see what the best course of acton is.

Researching into everything is very difficult whilst I am in the middle of the ocean so bare with me!

From what I understand, I apply to the CPS and to Canadian Immigration seperately and at the same time. If I pass the CPS testing and receive a conditional job offer I can then apply for the PNP, which will greatly speed up the time for permanent residency to be issued.

If I receive a conditional job offer from the CPS and fail to get onto the PNP, according to the website my offer will be kept on file. I can then continue to go through the 'normal' immigration process (which may take up to four years).

Have I got this right?

Cheers

Last edited by ricki1; Mar 31st 2007 at 6:09 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Rich - Hi again - mmm, see what you mean about October then !

I guess there is no reason why you cannot apply to CPS via the PNP route. I've only heard of other UK officers taking this route, but to be honest, why couldn't anyone else try? I just know CPS are taking advantage of the extra police experience the UK officers bring with them, so perhaps would be more inclined to give the precious places to people already trained ?!

I go back to my suggestion ref the emails - there are about three file managers I think, and I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction. Don't give up, and enjoy your summer life on the ocean wave ! (Where are you in the world?).

Going to send you a PM too...
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:15 pm
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nickola
From my experience which was September/October last year, my background checks took about 3/4 weeks. It seemed to take ages.

On my application I filled out the 10 references and they contacted 8 of them. Mostly the work ones. But out of those work ones they asked for other people that could provide a reference and went on to contact a few more. Thankfully it all went well.

From my mates who they contacted said that they were on the phone from anything around 40min-over an hour. So inform your references they will be in for a grilling.

Good luck let us know when you get a date.
Andrew
I was out for tests in Fem 07. They did my back ground checks the first week of March, all done in 1 week. I then got a written job offer on the 26th March...very quick. I have just submitted my PNP, a friend of mine has had theres processed in 14 weeks, but we are expecting 6 months!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

KMFPod is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya all...

My husband attended an info and recruitment session in Oct 06 in Glasgow.
We both have 14 years service and are now in West Mercia having transferred (escaped) from West Mids several years ago. Hubby is a Sgt, me PC. Only hubby is applying to join CPS as I would not entertain the gun thing and we have two very small children.

He went over to Calgary on his own and staggered all the tests over a two week period ie end of Feb first week of March 07. Passed all tests! The background checks started middle of March 07 and his referees are now being contacted because they have told us they have received their questionnaires.

I am considering going over to do a research trip on my own next month (May)! I intend to research the neighbourhoods and get a feel for areas to live. Terrified of the driving though!!!

Luckily a few ex-colleagues from West Mids now live in Calgary who beat us to it. We only found out they were there by accident via the recruiting department!

Anyone with any suggestions as to where to begin house hunting? I hear the North West and South West are the better areas.

(For Ricki1 - If you are applying to the CPS do not submit a separate immigration application. CPS will put you through the Provincial Nomination Programme (PNP). However, if getting to Canada is your primary goal, you may want to consider looking at the skilled worker application process instead. It won't hurt to start gathering all if the info for the skilled worker application WHILST applying to the CPS!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KMFPod

Only hubby is applying to join CPS as I would not entertain the gun thing and we have two very small children.

I am considering going over to do a research trip on my own next month (May)! I intend to research the neighbourhoods and get a feel for areas to live. Terrified of the driving though!!!

Anyone with any suggestions as to where to begin house hunting? I hear the North West and South West are the better areas.

Hi there and welcome to BE - congrats to hubby on getting this far - nail biting stuff ! Ditto your comment about the gun thing - I feel exactly the same and would not re-join out there - hence my last shift is in two weeks time - yay !

Hubby joins in July - and I am going over alone next week to try and buy a house - now that's what I call a shopping trip - very nervous and excited - but most concerned about the first hour after landing and driving myself to the hotel !!! After that, I'm fine !

House hunting - yes, NW and SW are very popular areas, both in terms of within the city limits, and also moving outside the limits. You'll only get a good feel for the area after physically visiting I think - but if you look on mls.ca you will get an idea of the layout and prices.

To the northwest of Calgary - about 20 mins out on a clear run - is the town of Cochrane (where I am looking) and which we like very much - population about 13,000, small and compact, and about an hour to the mountains. Fab views ! Quite windy?! Liked both the elementary schools we visited

And the other very popular area for Brits (and it seems especially the coppers) is Okotoks to the South of the city - about 30 mins out on a clear run. Population about 18,000 - a bit larger, a bit more self-contained, but (my opinion) very spread out. Reputation for good schools - I think that is more if you wish to go Catholic or private. About and hour and 45 mins to Banff. Keep to higher ground away from Sheep River (ref flooding).

There are also a couple of other satellite towns of Airdrie (directly north - not so aesthetically pleasing!) and Chestermere to the East - new-ish, not been there, cannot comment. Crikey, hark at me - probably best to move onto the main Canadian forum and read and search tons of info on there !

OK, enough waffle - welcome again, all best wishes to you and your family on this move - keep us posted !
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

KMFPod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi there and welcome to BE - congrats to hubby on getting this far - nail biting stuff ! Ditto your comment about the gun thing - I feel exactly the same and would not re-join out there - hence my last shift is in two weeks time - yay !

Hubby joins in July - and I am going over alone next week to try and buy a house - now that's what I call a shopping trip - very nervous and excited - but most concerned about the first hour after landing and driving myself to the hotel !!! After that, I'm fine !

House hunting - yes, NW and SW are very popular areas, both in terms of within the city limits, and also moving outside the limits. You'll only get a good feel for the area after physically visiting I think - but if you look on mls.ca you will get an idea of the layout and prices.

To the northwest of Calgary - about 20 mins out on a clear run - is the town of Cochrane (where I am looking) and which we like very much - population about 13,000, small and compact, and about an hour to the mountains. Fab views ! Quite windy?! Liked both the elementary schools we visited

And the other very popular area for Brits (and it seems especially the coppers) is Okotoks to the South of the city - about 30 mins out on a clear run. Population about 18,000 - a bit larger, a bit more self-contained, but (my opinion) very spread out. Reputation for good schools - I think that is more if you wish to go Catholic or private. About and hour and 45 mins to Banff. Keep to higher ground away from Sheep River (ref flooding).

There are also a couple of other satellite towns of Airdrie (directly north - not so aesthetically pleasing!) and Chestermere to the East - new-ish, not been there, cannot comment. Crikey, hark at me - probably best to move onto the main Canadian forum and read and search tons of info on there !

OK, enough waffle - welcome again, all best wishes to you and your family on this move - keep us posted !

What a shame about the timing - I am looking at going about the 19th May....I would have loved to have travelled out and met up with you there and shared the driving or navigating! Hope you have a Sat Nav!

We never gave Okotoks a thought until reading this forum and seeing the name crop up a few times so it could be on the cards for us too! I will be hounding you for information - even while you are out there. Schools for us Brits come first when deciding where to live, which seems to surprise them out there. I did do some research and found a great website giving the ranking of all schools in Calgary - I will let you know the link when I find it again but it covered Elementary League Tables as well as the High Schools.

Enjoy slamming you locker shut for the last time, and keep me posted. Good Luck.

Amanda
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hello again Amanda

Yes, the schools thing is just about the most important bit for us in getting the house/area correct - feel like there is a lot of pressure to get it right first time !

I am aware of the education tables / Fraser Institute etc, and I wonder if some (brit) parents are not choosing Cochrane because their schools are hard to find on any (league) tables. I think I have worked out the reason for this - it is because the Cochrane schools are split up at different ages/grades and don't slot into the tables properly. We visited schools on a previous trip and were suitably impressed with what we saw - we have no reservations about either of the elementary schools at all.

Okotoks has a great reputation for schools - but again, when you study the tables, those 'excellent' schools are for already gifted children, private, or catholic - your 'bog standard' normal public school is average or even below average, so visit or choose wisely !

And if anyone is not aware, where you live very specificaly dictates which school your kids go to - none of this UK-style 'choice' (that we think we have, but don't really !!!) .... Schools just does not seem to be a major issue for most Canadians you meet - they feel all their schools are good and don't really get our mentality and obsessiveness about this subject!!

OK, veering off-topic here slightly. Sorry folks.

Will keep you posted - and feel free to PM for any specifics. Good luck.

And, yes, I'm dreaming about slamming that locker shut !
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:00 am
Just Joined

g_conaty is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know whether or not the number of applicants they will take is limited or if they will accept all of those who meet the required standards?

I was due to visit Calgary later this month, however, ive had to re arrange my testing for July due to court commitments.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi g_conaty

Are you looking to go via the Provincial Nominee Programme? I think they had 27 places for this year, and possibly 25 for next year. It might be worth a cheeky e-mail to your file manager to ask how many of those places they have filled so far ... (then let us know please!)

Otherwise, if you already have your Permanent Residency, I think you would just join the queue with all the 'locals' and Calgary are still keen on numbers so I don't think they will be shutting their doors just yet.

Good luck in July, by the way
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:34 am
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

They are having 8 recruit classes this year, and hopefully 10 recruit classes next year. They have cut the course length down to 23 weeks. To be honest they could do with cutting a few months off it. Its far to long.

I have mentioned to them about the chance of having a condensed course for experienced officers. Its something they are looking into but it doesnt seem they are keen on the idea.

Only 25 PNP places per year I am lead to believe.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

h_mank351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Cant hold the excitement any longer, i got a call from my file manager this afternoon and i passed the selection panel and got a PNP place.
Just cant believe it really am i just so excited. Lots to do and plan, good luck to everyone else who went up for the panel on the 24th April.
I was told that i could be on the course for December or Jan 08. Ok off to work a night shift. I have no idea how i'm going to concentrate !!

Mark
Old Apr 26th 2007, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mark - YAY !! WELL DONE !!

Chuffed for you - have a large one (when you've finished nights of course !! )

Catch up with you again no doubt soon - well done again
Old Apr 26th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

martintaylor1547 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h_mank351
Hi all

Cant hold the excitement any longer, i got a call from my file manager this afternoon and i passed the selection panel and got a PNP place.
Just cant believe it really am i just so excited. Lots to do and plan, good luck to everyone else who went up for the panel on the 24th April.
I was told that i could be on the course for December or Jan 08. Ok off to work a night shift. I have no idea how i'm going to concentrate !!

Mark
well done Mark on getting through.

I sent my application to calgary at the end of feb how long did it take for them to process have had an e-mail confirming they recieved the pack but no more

i'm a pc in bristol with 18 yrs service and any info would be great

cheers

martin
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

BigHairyBalls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benjy
I was out for tests in Fem 07. They did my back ground checks the first week of March, all done in 1 week. I then got a written job offer on the 26th March...very quick. I have just submitted my PNP, a friend of mine has had theres processed in 14 weeks, but we are expecting 6 months!

It seems that Calgary Police are being very selective and secretive about who they out forward for panel selection as I know of people who have been out before you for testing and haven't even had the courtesy of a phone call to tell them what has been happening with their file.....Which in my opinion is disgraceful!!!!!Seems the police in Canada are the same as here in the UK....Unreliable!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.