Calgary Police

Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Short fat Black rat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary Police

Hi All,

Sorry of this has been repeated, but I've been on the case!

I was actually offered a job with CPS after going through the full recruitment process, but pulled out because someone screwed us over on our house sale in teh UK.
We ended up not even completing the PR process as we were so peeved! We were actually in the PNIP at the time as well which is what makes it worse.
Now we've two young children and we really want to start the process again and get them out there, soafter turing down a job with the RCIPS last month, I've been making heaps of calls this week to my contacts in recruiting with the CPS and the CHC in london. I also spoke to my old PNIP case officer in Alberta yesterday aswell.

At the moment CPS are recruiting but you have to have permanent resdency before they will entrain an application. There is no lee way here whatsoever, regardless of whether you have applied before or not.

This leads onto the next issue, none of the Canadian police forces at teh moment are involved in PNIP (provincial nominee) as they are able to recruit locally.

Next, CIC changed the criteria for skilled worker applicant on 1st july last year and set a 10,000 cap for 12 months and only specified occupations are listed. Police was removed as a required occupation, so unless you qualify as another skill ( check CIC ) or can go as an economic migrant or family sponsored, any officers waiting to go will have to wait for the rules to change again.

I for one would be ready to go tomorrow if the opportunity arose again, I'm dreading W pt II......

If i find out any more I'll post the details.... but i've been through the full process so if anyone has any Q?? about CPS recruiting or Calgary, if I can answer them I will....

SFBR...
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Short fat Black rat
Next, CIC changed the criteria for skilled worker applicant on 1st july last year and set a 10,000 cap for 12 months and only specified occupations are listed. Police was removed as a required occupation, so unless you qualify as another skill ( check CIC ) or can go as an economic migrant or family sponsored, any officers waiting to go will have to wait for the rules to change again.
Just to correct this, 'the list' of eligible occupations was actually introduced in 2008. It was originally 38 occupations, and then in July 2010 it was revised to the current 29 occupations. Police officers have never been on 'the list', so it was only prior to 2008 that they could apply as FSW without a job offer.

Edit: just to add that economic migrant and/or family sponsored aren't the only possible visa routes, don't forget some PNP's have community based streams, such as NS and MB.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 25th 2012 at 10:08 am.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

bigchief is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to correct this, 'the list' of eligible occupations was actually introduced in 2008. It was originally 38 occupations, and then in July 2010 it was revised to the current 29 occupations. Police officers have never been on 'the list', so it was only prior to 2008 that they could apply as FSW without a job offer.

Edit: just to add that economic migrant and/or family sponsored aren't the only possible visa routes, don't forget some PNP's have community based streams, such as NS and MB.
Chris
Can you explain by some PNP's jave community based streams?
Keith
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigchief
Chris
Can you explain by some PNP's jave community based streams?
Keith
Sorry, not sure what you're asking - suspect the autotext on your phone has kicked in! But if you are asking about PNP's where you don't need a job offer, check out NS and MB, both of them have community based streams where you show you wish to integrate in to the community, are employable, etc, and they nominate you for PR.

Pop over to the Canadian immigration forum for more info, you can ask there if you have any further questions or a quick search will reveal lots of threads with info in no doubt.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 25th 2012 at 7:57 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Is there anyone here who can maybe give a bit of information on how long the recruitment process for the CPS usually takes from start to finish? Or can it vary from recruit to recruit depending on any issues encountered?

Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:06 am
Just Joined

bowstreet-runner is an unknown quantity at this point

It's varies from recruit to recruit. However if your coming from England, not only do you need your own residency in place, but know CPS also is asking that you have been a resident for 3 years. Hope this helps
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bowstreet-runner
It's varies from recruit to recruit. However if your coming from England, not only do you need your own residency in place, but know CPS also is asking that you have been a resident for 3 years. Hope this helps
Yeah it does help a bit. I don't need to worry about residency, I'm already a full Canadian citizen courtesy of my Canadian grandfather I was able to apply and gain my Canadian citizenship a number of years ago and have it granted to me before they changed the citizenship/immigration laws, so I just made it in the door!!