Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary or Edmonton - Impatient!

Calgary or Edmonton - Impatient!

Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

craney is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Calgary or Edmonton - Impatient!

Hi Folks,
I have researched this excellent site and found a few answers to my questions on previous threads but was wondering if there were members on here who were british bobbies like myself, who could provide a more up to date opinion after now being employed by either EPS or CPS for a while now. I previously applied for a skilled worker application and am expecting my PR to be issued in approximately another 18 months time. I was looking towards applying for Calgary rather than Edmonton due to the less isolated feel, being a more friendlier and supportive force and less regimented training - (got these impressions from previous threads so please correct me if I'm wrong!). The thing is though that as Edmonton are offering successful applicants the fast track immigration process, I am tempted to apply there rather than wait another 18 months until I get my PR and then perhaps not even get accepted for Calgary. I know I could perhaps transfer from Edmonton to Calgary once in and established but I wouldn't really want to upheave my family again after already making a big move to Canada. So my question (finally!) is is Edmonton that bad or is it worth waiting until I'm eligible to apply for CPS? Any advice appreciated!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary or Edmonton - Impatient!

Originally Posted by craney
who could provide a more up to date opinion after now being employed by either EPS or CPS for a while now.
Some love it, some don't - which view did you want ?

You are in the same position we were in a few years ago, with regard to an already submitted Skilled Worker Application. 18 months probably sounds like a lifetime away for you now - but it really isn't.

If Calgary would still be your first choice, then stick with it. But try what we did, and that was to submit the application, go through all tests (and get a job offer of course) and await your visas. By the time you've submitted the application, booked some annual leave to fit in with test dates, flown over to complete them all, and awaited the job offer, then your own timetable would not be far off those who were applying via the PNP anyway. Seriously, if you look back through posts, most people seem to have an average of at least 18 months (for the PNP route anyway) from first posting that envelope, to getting on the aeroplane to leave.

We made it clear to CPS that we were predominatly through the Skilled Worker route anyway (timewise) - so we were not interested in using up one of their PNP places. I guess it could also show that you were deadly serious about Canada anyway! It all worked out pretty well for us, to be honest - with regard to the timing.

An 18 month timetable also allows you a little cushion with regard to the UK housing market (presuming you have something to sell) - which is horrible at the moment, and a serious stumbling block for those trying to start here over the next couple of months and have not been able to sell.

In all honesty, even if you were to embark on the Edmonton PNP route now, you may only knock about 6 months off the total wait time. That's not much if it meant major compromises on something that is to set you up for life.

Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

craney is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Calgary or Edmonton - Impatient!

Hi Ann,
Thanks very much for replying. Applying for both sounds a pretty good idea and will keep our options open while we await our PR. A few reccie trips might also decide it for us! It sounds from previous threads that both forces are pretty good with Calgary perhaps having the advantage. Thanks for the advice.