Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary/Edmonton concerns

Calgary/Edmonton concerns

Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

billyboykent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary/Edmonton concerns

Hi,
I'm a serving PC with Kent Police and my Partner and i(also job) are hoping to move to Canada in the next couple of years.
We've had a look and seen that Calgary are not actively recruiting and Edmonton are, and we are flying to Calgary in May to look around and then drive to Edmonton to do the same there.
We both have a few concerns about moving and we are unsure how to proceed.We both have 3 years service and good credit /qualifications etc.
The things we are concerned about are

1- Polygraph tests- I ,like a lot of kids, tried Cannabis although this was over 3 years ago and my partner made some bad choices and used cocaine and bought cannabis when she was younger. this was over 5 years ago. Would this affect our chances and do they ask about this on polygraph tests?

2-PARE how difficult is this. We are both fit and go running together and go to the gym.

3-do we have to keep flying back on forth to Canada to do tests exams etc or can it all be done in a couple of weeks leave

4- houses- do they give you an indication of where you will be posted or are you told when you completed training- we don't want to be posted to separate sides of calgary!

5- training- is this residential or do you commute each day. we are hoping to bring our dogs but if training is residential this would be a problem.

6-Spaces- how many spaces do they offer and how competitive are these spots?

Sorry for all the questions, we just don't know where to start!
any advice anyone could give would be Greatly appreciated

Cheers

Bill
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calgary/Edmonton concerns

Originally Posted by billyboykent
1- Polygraph tests- I ,like a lot of kids, tried Cannabis although this was over 3 years ago and my partner made some bad choices and used cocaine and bought cannabis when she was younger. this was over 5 years ago. Would this affect our chances and do they ask about this on polygraph tests?

2-PARE how difficult is this. We are both fit and go running together and go to the gym.

3-do we have to keep flying back on forth to Canada to do tests exams etc or can it all be done in a couple of weeks leave

4- houses- do they give you an indication of where you will be posted or are you told when you completed training- we don't want to be posted to separate sides of calgary!

5- training- is this residential or do you commute each day. we are hoping to bring our dogs but if training is residential this would be a problem.

6-Spaces- how many spaces do they offer and how competitive are these spots?
1) Yes they will ask you this and alot more. If you look at the EPS recruitment site you can download the personal disclosure form, it shows you all the questions they will ask (im going through the process right now). I have heard the polygraph lasts a good few hours, but you are only tied to the machine for around 30 mins. As long as your honest you would be ok (and as long as you didnt do it whilst in the police).

2) Havent done the par but from looking at videos (youtube has loads) it doesnt seem to bad.

3) You do all the tests in one sitting (Edmonton atleast) but should you fail you wont proceed to the next.

4) Dont know - im presuming they have a postings panel of such but not sure how much say you would have in it?

5) I only know Edmonton Police is not residential.

6) Dunno

Im going through the Edmonton process, im sure people who have actually joined them can offer you alot more in the way of answers.

Ash
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

billyboykent is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

how comes more people seem to apply for Calgary than edmonton?
is it due t the location or is training much harder or something.
If Calgary have stopped recruitment i may send them a cv and then apply to Edmonton as well
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

For Calgary

1 - as above, look at and download the personal disclosure form from the CPS website and that will show you the level and depth of questions they will ask you. It's not gentle. For the polygraph test, an officer will go over that form with you in minute detail, and then 'hook you up' for about 20-30 mins and then select random questions again from that list to discuss further. All I can say is be honest, do not lie or try to hide anything. Far too many UK officers have come a cropper on this element alone. And don't try to 'beat the system'

2 - the PARE seems tough, but short-lived. It is designed to take to you an upper threshold quickly - but the main part is over in about four minutes. Easy, huh? There is a ton of info on the main Calgary thread about the PARE, but basically, do lots of short sharp interval exercises and don't do marathon training. The dry atmosphere in the gym (which is a couple of floors below street level) and the altitude of the city of Calgary are the things that most people comment on afterwards. You feel like you are inhaling your lungs, and sound like a 20-a-day smoker for about 24 hours. The Canadians find it tough too, by the way

3 - You would come over to Calgary and do all your tests over a week or so - all in one hit. Book two weeks and take some time out to see some of the local scenery.

4 - You will not be given your posting until near the end of your training, so it could be anywhere in the city. However, you are asked what would be your top 3 choices for district, and if they can, they will try to adhere to that. No guarantees though. Depends on local requirements, as per anywhere I guess.

5 - Training involves a daily commute into the city centre - and a couple of other locations for different stuff. It is not residential.

6 - There seems to be continual recruitment at the moment, and I don't see any signs of it letting up yet. As you have seen, Calgary are not actively going out looking for UK applicants at this time but are still reviewing CV's that are sent to them. The UK people are generally applying for a Provincial Nominee place (so unless you already have a Permanent Residence visa that you have previously applied for), this would be your route in aswell. A year or so ago there was talk of a limit of those spaces, but in reality there seems a continual drip-feed of spaces for good applicants.

Hope that helps. Make yourself familiar with the main Canada section of this forum too - there are frequent Calgary vs Edmonton threads about general lifestyle stuff. Here's a recent one. There are others.

And there is a little bit of Calgary vs Edmonton stuff here in the police section. However, bear in mind that the Edmonton officers often do not feel at liberty to discuss their training and their inner most thoughts on a public forum. Private messages may be the way to go! Me? I gas to anyone
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
For Calgary

1 - as above, look at and download the personal disclosure form from the CPS website and that will show you the level and depth of questions they will ask you. It's not gentle. For the polygraph test, an officer will go over that form with you in minute detail, and then 'hook you up' for about 20-30 mins and then select random questions again from that list to discuss further. All I can say is be honest, do not lie or try to hide anything. Far too many UK officers have come a cropper on this element alone. And don't try to 'beat the system'

2 - the PARE seems tough, but short-lived. It is designed to take to you an upper threshold quickly - but the main part is over in about four minutes. Easy, huh? There is a ton of info on the main Calgary thread about the PARE, but basically, do lots of short sharp interval exercises and don't do marathon training. The dry atmosphere in the gym (which is a couple of floors below street level) and the altitude of the city of Calgary are the things that most people comment on afterwards. You feel like you are inhaling your lungs, and sound like a 20-a-day smoker for about 24 hours. The Canadians find it tough too, by the way

3 - You would come over to Calgary and do all your tests over a week or so - all in one hit. Book two weeks and take some time out to see some of the local scenery.

4 - You will not be given your posting until near the end of your training, so it could be anywhere in the city. However, you are asked what would be your top 3 choices for district, and if they can, they will try to adhere to that. No guarantees though. Depends on local requirements, as per anywhere I guess.

5 - Training involves a daily commute into the city centre - and a couple of other locations for different stuff. It is not residential.

6 - There seems to be continual recruitment at the moment, and I don't see any signs of it letting up yet. As you have seen, Calgary are not actively going out looking for UK applicants at this time but are still reviewing CV's that are sent to them. The UK people are generally applying for a Provincial Nominee place (so unless you already have a Permanent Residence visa that you have previously applied for), this would be your route in aswell. A year or so ago there was talk of a limit of those spaces, but in reality there seems a continual drip-feed of spaces for good applicants.

Hope that helps. Make yourself familiar with the main Canada section of this forum too - there are frequent Calgary vs Edmonton threads about general lifestyle stuff. Here's a recent one. There are others.

And there is a little bit of Calgary vs Edmonton stuff here in the police section. However, bear in mind that the Edmonton officers often do not feel at liberty to discuss their training and their inner most thoughts on a public forum. Private messages may be the way to go! Me? I gas to anyone

Ha ha ha, true Anne...
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:40 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
For Calgary

i would say all these points apply perfectly to EPS also, apart from.

2. the gym is on the ground floor, though it makes no difference.
6. EPS still seems keen to recruit from the UK, though after pompey went through you would have thought they would have learned their lesson.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rae
i would say all these points apply perfectly to EPS also, apart from.

2. the gym is on the ground floor, though it makes no difference.
6. EPS still seems keen to recruit from the UK, though after pompey went through you would have thought they would have learned their lesson.
Wanna come see my awards Rae??
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:35 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Wanna come see my awards Rae??
good grief, don't tell me you accepted the default award for being the default class president just cause you were the default backclasser of the course you finally managed to complete. was it the, i've got a poorly shoulder but will be a brave soldier, award?