Bermuda Police

Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

DamianBlade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bermuda Police

I'm actually not a British Expat, but I am from Canada, and I was recruited and got a job offer for the Bermuda Police Service.. and was wondering if there is anyone on this forum that is/has worked for the BPS and would be able to discuss what its like to be an officer in Bermuda
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Skids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bermuda Police

Originally Posted by DamianBlade
I'm actually not a British Expat, but I am from Canada, and I was recruited and got a job offer for the Bermuda Police Service.. and was wondering if there is anyone on this forum that is/has worked for the BPS and would be able to discuss what its like to be an officer in Bermuda
I'm, still with the BPS. Drop me a line with your specific questions mate, and I'll do what I can.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:37 am
Just Joined

jonjohn83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys im a BTP officer in london i to have got into BPS hopeing to start jan09 wont hold my breath tho lol. Skid just got a copule of q's

Wot ppe do the police carry?

Whats the uniform like do coppers still wear helmets?

Do u.k coppers drive the vehicles in bermuda i.e response advance

Out of intrest whats the wording of the arrest caution when you nickd someone ?

Is it true stop forms are in because of pace?
.c.heerz skid
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Bermudez999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonjohn83
Hi guys im a BTP officer in london i to have got into BPS hopeing to start jan09 wont hold my breath tho lol. Skid just got a copule of q's

Wot ppe do the police carry?

Whats the uniform like do coppers still wear helmets?

Do u.k coppers drive the vehicles in bermuda i.e response advance

Out of intrest whats the wording of the arrest caution when you nickd someone ?

Is it true stop forms are in because of pace?
.c.heerz skid
Judging by the post, you appear over qualified for the BPS.
You get a truncheon - you will need to develop eyes in the back of your head. Body armour is not an option; it is considered inappropriate as it hinders the effective operation of police supervisors who are inclined to back-stab.
Helmets are standard issue as the primary role of an efficient Bermuda police is to attract tourists.
UK officers, if trained in Bermuda are permitted to drive police cars when trained (after a substantial period of time) but on a 21 sq. mile island, you'd be better off walking. Driving provides another means by which you can be disciplined - crashing, leaving dirty, allegedly climbing on .... been there, done that!
Caution ... you'll be pleased to know that no one really cares. 'You’re nicked' can work but it appears the legal system operates on a balanced basis; neither the crooks nor the criminals are considered to be telling the truth. You might like to try "you are not obliged to say anything but it may harm your defence if you do not at least try to come up with something plausible to save me the effort of putting damning words into your mouth”. Do remember “it’s a fair cop Gov’ “ has already been exhausted as a reply, even in Bermuda.
PACE has yet to take hold primarily because the island’s constabulary has yet to take to the idea of requiring ‘evidence’ to prosecute. It will come and one day the island may even have a Data Protection Act though I would not hold my breath that a Freedom of Information Act will arrive soon … ask yourself what civilised country would not promote such legislation. Do the public authorities have something to hide?
Speaking of which, do take a look at http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Category:Bermuda and http://www.bermuda.org.uk/ewart_brown.htm ... so many people to investigate … so little inclination.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Bermuda Police

sorry skids mate just thought of a couple more questions

What is the monthly take home salarey wise?

My contract is 5 years if i really liked the island how many times do they renew your contract i.e only once, or every 5 years etc

Finally mate my fiance is a primary school teacher i want her to join me in a year! Do many uk officer come to bermuda with their partners and is it easy to find work as a teacher?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

sorry skids mate just thought of a couple more questions

What is the monthly take home salarey wise?

My contract is 5 years if i really liked the island how many times do they renew your contract i.e only once, or every 5 years etc

Finally mate my fiance is a primary school teacher i want her to join me in a year! Do many uk officer come to bermuda with their partners and is it easy to find work as a teacher?
JonJohn83..

1. PPE is as the UK..ie, baton, rigid bar Kwik Kuff, and Pepper (no cs) and UK type body protection.
2. Uniform is shorts in the summer (no joke) with the 'tit' hat only used for ceremonials. Regualr use is the flat cap.
3.UK coppers drive within a couple of days of completing training school (after a short assessment) and all UK driving courses are usually recognised (bring your certificates). Other nationalities have to do the full course.
4. No inference from silence here, so the caution wording is completely different to the UK.
5. Stop & Search legislation only here this month but it's identical to the UK.
6. Monthly take home salary is VERY good :-) I'm surprised more brits don't apply for Bermuda as most seem to want RCIP or Canada. All the UK phased out allowances are still here including living out allowance, plain clothes allowance, etc. There's even an extra allowance for working nights and evenings.
7. Contract are issued as non-renewable but is renewed according to service needs. Hard to answer that one as they may decide that you'll be renewed but your mate on the same course won't. Not screwing big time up is usually a plus! After 10 years you become a permanent employee (ie renewals are an admin procedure)
8. Difficult one. A few cops come here with their partners but unless there's an urgent need for a particular profession (accountants, nurses), most seem to go through an employment agency but that usually means taking an admin job. Locals are given priority when it comes to employment, which means if there is a primary school job and a local person applies then they'd get it, even if your missus is more qualified. To some extent, I can't help agreeing with this and wouldn't mind if the UK started going the same way *climbs off soap box*.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Bermuda Police

skids thank you for the reply mate! But how much figures wise is ur monthly take home? Are there many brits in rank i.e skippers gov etc myself and my colleague dhl are medical xrays job refs three weeks ago and have heard nout we where really hopeing to start in jan09 but not looking good and the worst thing is they dont know when the next course is after that! How long did it take you mate to get in and can u recommend a person in HR i could hound! Thanks for your help mate!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Damian have you got a joining date yet?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

skids thank you for the reply mate! But how much figures wise is ur monthly take home? Are there many brits in rank i.e skippers gov etc myself and my colleague dhl are medical xrays job refs three weeks ago and have heard nout we where really hopeing to start in jan09 but not looking good and the worst thing is they dont know when the next course is after that! How long did it take you mate to get in and can u recommend a person in HR i could hound! Thanks for your help mate!
I'll drop you a PM
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

blairyboy208 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, currently a serving officer in Scotland and was offered a job with the BPS after an interview in September, 2008. Im just sending all medical, reference stuff in the next few days but was told about January, 2009.

I've left a few emails and voicemails for the Training & Recruiting Sergeant, but not heard anything back yet. Is anyone else in a similar position? If so, would you mind giving me a pm.

Cheers,

Blair
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blairyboy208
Hi folks, currently a serving officer in Scotland and was offered a job with the BPS after an interview in September, 2008. Im just sending all medical, reference stuff in the next few days but was told about January, 2009.

I've left a few emails and voicemails for the Training & Recruiting Sergeant, but not heard anything back yet. Is anyone else in a similar position? If so, would you mind giving me a pm.

Cheers,

Blair
Blair how are you?

Im in the same boat as you im a BTP officer had my int in sep 2008 in hammersmith. Also told about jan 09. I sent my medical results 3 weeks ago if you telephone the main switch board and ask for HR they should be able to help. They reckon it takes 3 to 4 weeks to process the application etc hopefully could be on the same intake looks really good mate ! Let me know how you get on cal em tomorrow 441.295.0011
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Hi mate,

Not yet able to receive pm's yet as I've not yet posted 3 messages but when I am able to I'll PM you my email addy and mobile for a blether. January would be excellent like!

B

Blair how are you?

Im in the same boat as you im a BTP officer had my int in sep 2008 in hammersmith. Also told about jan 09. I sent my medical results 3 weeks ago if you telephone the main switch board and ask for HR they should be able to help. They reckon it takes 3 to 4 weeks to process the application etc hopefully could be on the same intake looks really good mate ! Let me know how you get on cal em tomorrow 441.295.0011
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Damien,

Not yet able to pm but I'll get to read your pm when Ive posted enough messages. There is a restriction on being able to send and view pm's until you have sent like 3 posts. The madness!! B

Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

joefitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Blair,

I appear to be in the same boat as all you guys, just waiting for acceptance of my medical/references etc and getting a formal offer with a joining date. Any luck with a date yet??
I sent you a PM last week but don't think you're able to pick it up.....
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

DamianBlade is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent my package out the other week and when the UPS tracking said that they received it I followed up with a phone call just to confirm someone has it, but apparently the HR people down there are useless... I asked if they received it and all she said is if the tracking says they they signed for it that they "PROBABLY" have it... what good is that!?!? lol... anyway im going to give it till Jan 1, and then call again and see where they are at.. i hate sitting in the dark not knowing anything, because I just got laid off from my current security job because another company took over the contract so I kinda wanna know if I should be looking for another job in the meantime or just wait it out if its jut goin to be a couple months!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.