British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Becoming A Permanent Resident of Australia To Join WAPOL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/becoming-permanent-resident-australia-join-wapol-851162/)

Slippery Pete Jan 21st 2015 2:46 am

Becoming A Permanent Resident of Australia To Join WAPOL

Anybody thinking of becoming a Permanent Resident of Australia to join WAPOL ?

Can I join an Australian police force or work in the public sector as an Australian PR?

Some public sector jobs across Australia, including in the police forces, are open to both citizens and PRs. The majority of State/Territory government jobs are open to permanent residents (it depends on the state, NSW government jobs are mostly open to permanent residents) unless special circumstances apply. The Commonwealth (federal) government normally requires Australian citizenship, however if you are a permanent resident eligible for citizenship you can sometimes be engaged on a probationary basis.
FAQ's about Australia

As of late South Africa and Switzerland officers seem to be doing just that.

Dorothy Jan 21st 2015 5:10 am

Re: Becoming A Permanent Resident of Australia To Join WAPOL

Originally Posted by Slippery Pete (Post 11539843)

FAQ's about Australia

How do you propose people become permanent residents of Australia? Without qualifying for a visa then thinking of joining WAPOL is moot.

Pollyana Jan 21st 2015 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11539911)
How do you propose people become permanent residents of Australia? Without qualifying for a visa then thinking of joining WAPOL is moot.

Thats what i was thinking too, police officer is not on the skills list therefore most serving officers are unable to get PR.
Marrying an Aussie is one way of course, or if someone is working in another field and then plans to become a cop once they get here, but the hurdle most face is that policing skills are not on the skills lists.

old.sparkles Jan 21st 2015 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11539916)
Thats what i was thinking too, police officer is not on the skills list therefore most serving officers are unable to get PR.
Marrying an Aussie is one way of course, or if someone is working in another field and then plans to become a cop once they get here, but the hurdle most face is that policing skills are not on the skills lists.

Police officer is on the skills list but is CSOL only meaning that sponsorship is required for a PR visa.

No state is sponsoring the occupation which leaves employer sponsorship when a force is recruiting internationally. In the past couple of years WAPOL has recruited internationally but this is no guarantee that they will again.

Pollyana Jan 21st 2015 7:15 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11539964)
Police officer is on the skills list but is CSOL only meaning that sponsorship is required for a PR visa.

No state is sponsoring the occupation which leaves employer sponsorship when a force is recruiting internationally. In the past couple of years WAPOL has recruited internationally but this is no guarantee that they will again.

Exactly. You need WAPOL ( or the other forces, which aren't interested these days) to sponsor. You can't get a skills visa just because you are a police officer, which is what the OP seemed to be implying. There has to be another route to PR (such as via an Aussie spouse) if you want to join the police once you get here.

old.sparkles Jan 21st 2015 8:01 am

Or partner of someone who can get a skilled visa.

notbrazil Jan 21st 2015 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Slippery Pete (Post 11539843)

FAQ's about Australia

This thread is meaningless.

foggy balla Jan 29th 2015 7:46 pm

Myself and the other half are considering just this option. I was unsuccessful on the 2014 transitional recruitment programme, falling at the first hurdle on the application. (Fairly sure I'd put a pretty good application together, but hard to tell with no feedback. That's another story for a different day though!)

Ive now passed the ten year service point that was set out last year, so even if it opens again I'm scuppered if similar terms are stipulated for applicants. Therefore we've explored alternatives.

One of which is becoming a PR and then applying as a lateral transfer. My good lady wife has an occupation that after some research seems likely to offer us a route on a 189 visa.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has experience, either first hand or knowledge of others that have gone this route. Surely there's somebody here?
My understanding would be (providing all goes to plan!!) Submit an EOI. Submit and pay for visa, including all relevant checks and medicals. If/when granted, all applicants visit Australia to "activate" visa. Then apply as lateral transfer. If successful, trip to Joondalup for tests, assessment, interviews. If successful, pack up and move?

I appreciate its all rather simplistic, and that it'll be a more costly and certainly drawn out process than going through the transitional programme. Any thoughts,advice welcome though.

markh84 Apr 7th 2015 5:03 pm

Hi first post here:

I have also looked into this route, my wife is a nurse and I would be looking to have permanent residency through her Visa, when I spoke to WAPOL regarding my options, they said once I have my PR, I can then apply and transfer my service over meaning only the 13 weeks at Joondalup and the higher salary after training.

I have just under 6 years service with Police Scotland and just dropped out of the pension here!

Can anyone tell me the main benefits for me if they do re open international recruitment? Do WAPOL pay my family's visas? Just wondering if it is worth holding out for instead of going it alone so to speak!

Cheers

notbrazil Apr 7th 2015 10:24 pm

There are no benefits to waiting for international recruitment. They don't pay for anything. You'd probably be much better off going on your other half's visa as it would offer you plenty of flexibility. If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do anyway.

Good luck!

markh84 Apr 7th 2015 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by notbrazil (Post 11613094)
There are no benefits to waiting for international recruitment. They don't pay for anything. You'd probably be much better off going on your other half's visa as it would offer you plenty of flexibility. If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do anyway.

Good luck!

That's exactly what I am going to do! I honestly thought that through the international recruitment it would all be paid for haha!

Just waiting on my good wife passing her English exam and then we can get the ball rolling!