Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Any info on Peel Police...

Any info on Peel Police...

Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Question Any info on Peel Police...

Hello,

I wondered if anyone had any information at all on Peel Police in Ontario? I can't seem to find much on their website at all.

I am a serving Police Officer in the UK and i currently have 5 years service. I want to transfer to Canada but not really looking into Calgary or Edmonton. I wanted to apply for Toronto Police but they require me to be a permanent resident or a citizen before i am even considered (or this is what i'm told).

I have a few questions if anyone can help....

What are the salary and benifits offered to Peel Police officers?
Does anyone know if i could be eligable for early promotion or pay increase due to my experience in the uk?
How long does the application process take and if i were to be successful in the application stage then how long would they keep a job offer open for?

Alternatively, if anyone has further info on Toronto Police at all then that would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all
Default Re: Any info on Peel Police...

Hello,

My husband had an e-mail from the Peel Police last week, unfortunately you have to have PR status to join them too.
Toronto Police were equally as keen to recruit him but, yes, you do need to have PR or citizenship.
Sorry can't be any more help than that.

Deeny.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Wildfitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Peel Regional Police is a small service to the west of Toronto. As said it is a regional service which deals with small city issues and the rural county roads. It is in the Province of Ontario and as such Ontario rules and regulations apply not just for Toronto or Peel but all the police services within Ontario. That means what applies for hiring in Toronto also applies in Peel Regional.

All Police services in Canada are looking for 'diverse' applicants but you must be a British citizen. I take it you are by being in the service in England. Most applicants try out as jail guards here first, as it's service is less strict, until they get fully processed with the Police service.

I believe starting pay as a Cadet-in-training is around $50,000.00. Full medical and dental, (minor fees may apply). Pay for a 1st class constable goes up to approx. $80,000.00. Not including overtime, paid duties and off duty court time. Alot of officers get well passed the $100,000.00 mark.

Your 5 years in England does not apply towards promotion in the Peel Regional service. Time, energy and the basic rules of training, service, good looks, etc, will get you promoted.

If you have something great to offer the service they will bend over backwards to rush through your application. Something to the tune of a PHD in Police science, speak 5 different languages and are ethnic in background.

The Toronto Police Service is the same, as I said before, with hiring regulations coming under the guidelines of the Ontario Police Act.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have more I will try and answer.

J D Fxxxxxx
Toronto Police Service
32 years plus
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Post Re: Any info on Peel Police...

Originally Posted by sargie2710
All Police services in Canada are looking for 'diverse' applicants but you must be a British citizen. I take it you are by being in the service in England. Most applicants try out as jail guards here first, as it's service is less strict, until they get fully processed with the Police service.
I believe starting pay as a Cadet-in-training is around $50,000.00. Full medical and dental, (minor fees may apply). Pay for a 1st class constable goes up to approx. $80,000.00. Not including overtime, paid duties and off duty court time. Alot of officers get well passed the $100,000.00 mark.

Your 5 years in England does not apply towards promotion in the Peel Regional service. Time, energy and the basic rules of training, service, good looks, etc, will get you promoted.

If you have something great to offer the service they will bend over backwards to rush through your application. Something to the tune of a PHD in Police science, speak 5 different languages and are ethnic in background.

The Toronto Police Service is the same, as I said before, with hiring regulations coming under the guidelines of the Ontario Police Act.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have more I will try and answer.
Hey J D.

Thanks very much for your response. It's great to actually get some advice from a cop who works for Toronto Police Service!!

Yes i'm a British Citizen, i was born and raised in London. I would much rather apply for Toronto Police but i was told that it may be easier to look at some of the other smaller forces too.
What's the jail guard thing about? I haven't heard of that before. I can't actually apply for any Police Service until i'm a pemanent resident so the whole process is, no doubt, going to take a while and i would love to be able to work while i'm waiting for things to go through.

Unfortunately i have no PHD's or anyhting like that, but i am very keen and willing to make the best i can out of something. Promotion isn't essential for me but i will be earning a much lower salary than what i am on now, to come out there. So i was hoping that my service here in England would be recognised somewhat and reflected in my salary...

I wonder if you know roughly how long processing times are for applications for Toronto Police Service? Like from submitting my completed application to taking all the applicant tests and then being offered a start date for Police College?

Apolgies for the amount of questions. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sargie2710;

I don't know the time line between application to Police College. Your time as a constable in England does not reflect in your salary and or raise here. It does however reflect upon your pension and when you can retire. You will be starting all over again as a new recruit. I know of some other constables from England coming over and the women got hired right away and her boyfriend was not as lucky. He had to work as a jail guard for a year before being accepted on the Toronto Police Service. Jail guards are not within a police service. They are looked after by the Province. If you wish I will get their email address and see if they would like to talk with you. They have been here for about 4 years, so I would think the process would still be the same.

You mentioned about having to be a permanent resident before you can be hired. Were did you hear that. I thought the women just got off the boat and was hired on the spot. Not sure though.

J.D.

Last edited by Wildfitzy; Dec 16th 2008 at 10:00 pm. Reason: stupid me
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Any info on Peel Police...

OH yeah, i DEFINITELY have been informed that i must be a PR before applying.. If she got straight off the boat and into a job then that's AMAZING!! She must have had contacts... I spoke to the recruitment dept at Toronto and they told me i need to have an Ontario drivers license, be a PR and have passed all the applicant tests before i can apply.

Anyway, it would be great if you could get me an email for the jail guards...

Thanks again.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:13 am
Just Joined

I will see about getting their email address.

JD