British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/any-current-recent-rcips-officers-here-817062/)

goingbacktotheislands Dec 6th 2013 10:13 am

Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
Hi all,

I am looking to bend the ear of any willing and able RCIPS officers, either currently serving or ex.

Good points and bad, I am not looking for any rose tinted view, and after living in Cayman and also reading posts on here that would certainly be unwise anyway!

Please get in touch if you feel you have a view point to offer on this.....

Many thanks.

RSthetruth Feb 4th 2014 11:13 am

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
how can i assist?

Fitztheblitz Feb 4th 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
Have just looked on RCIPS website, seems they maybe recruiting overseas officers with more than 5 years policing experience. Do you know if this is correct?

jim2001 Feb 4th 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
Have looked on the site can't doesn't seem they are recruiting other than new recruits?

Maybe iv missed it.

jim2001 Feb 20th 2014 2:23 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
RCIPS looking for GPD Officers and also firearms Officers, advertised on policeoracle.com

siren Feb 21st 2014 12:37 am

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
Hi folks. It appears they are recruiting a number of posts. Details can be found on www.gov.ky. They are looking for uniformed officers, experienced detectives and S I O'S. I have looked back at some threads on this site going back to 2010/2011. Back then there were some very negative opinions about working as a police officer in RCIPS. Are there any current serving officers who can shed any light on whether things have improved. I would be looking to apply for one of the detective roles if I were to apply. There are many things to consider, one being I would have to resign from my current force as they are no longer offering career breaks. I have 15 years in the job, I'm female, single and have no real ties to keep me in the UK. I would welcome any opinions before applying. Thanks :)

metalredstar Mar 2nd 2014 10:13 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
Hi RSthetruth - potential applicant here! :) If you're serving with the RCIPS, it'll probably be difficult to communicate... From what I've read, their supervisors monitor this forum quite avidly, and posts have previously caused "flare ups" at work. Do you think this is still the case? Feel free to PM.

Also, hi to siren! I've seen exactly the same adverts as you... I've done a LOT of research the last day or two - reading news articles and forum posts (both new and old) and there's an absolute wealth of material on the RCIPS, mostly highly varied in content, some of which I might be inclined to take with a pinch of salt.

I'm in a similar boat to yourself - a serving UK officer, 10 years service, and my force will require resignation in order for me to transfer... Although to be honest, the rate they're getting rid of people these days, that's probably a blessing in disguise, pension or not. Not having any ties here, I'm happy (pending successful application and interview) to make the jump, although not knowing anybody over there it might be an interesting start to things!

To save filling this thread with my own information, if you (or anybody else for that matter!) wants to PM me we can exchange e-mail addresses and I'll give you some more information and thoughts... Be interesting to hear which forces you're all from in case you're just down the road! It'd be great to keep in touch with other potential applications - round this neck of the woods, I'm the only one! :(

Also - to save anybody needlessly registering on policeoracle.com, their current advert states:

We are currently seeking to fill vacancies to complement four key areas of policing.

General Policing:-
1. Uniform – Required to perform general policing duties as a part of district operations including proactive patrols and responses.
2. Firearms – Required to provide firearms support and assist in effective firearms responses.

Specialist Policing:-
1. Criminal Investigations – Required to assist with general criminal investigations including homicides.
2. Financial Crimes – Required to assist with complex financial investigations.

metalredstar Mar 3rd 2014 8:58 am

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
Aaand apparently private messaging is restricted to users with more than 3 posts...

jim2001 Mar 3rd 2014 12:26 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
I'm trying to find out if this is a permanent contract, I wouldn't resign from my current force if RCIPS are only offering a max number of years I.e 7.

The way things are you would be unlikely to get back into a U.K force after the 7 years are up.

Redcap5517 Mar 3rd 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 
As previous posts, considering my options and grateful for more info.

Like a number of colleagues north of the border, things havent been exactly a change for the best.

Have been using LinkedIn to speak with a serving RCIP officers and from.his account nothing has put me off

metalredstar Mar 3rd 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 

Originally Posted by jim2001 (Post 11155973)
I'm trying to find out if this is a permanent contract, I wouldn't resign from my current force if RCIPS are only offering a max number of years I.e 7.

The way things are you would be unlikely to get back into a U.K force after the 7 years are up.

Hey bud,

The advert they're currently running states "...for an initial commitment of three years". Looking into the history of their recruitment drives, it seems as though they always recruit at the start of a year, usually every two years. They previously offered two year commitments, and (assuming it will still be the same) these 'rolled over' into another two-year contract if everything was going smoothly with you. Looking at other forums and threads on this site, there's quite a high turnover, as cops seem to go expecting the proverbial red carpet, and get upset when they find the reality of a somewhat indifferent attitude towards them.

There's been various talk over time of a work limit of 7 years, but it would seem (after some research) that this can also be rolled over too... That would explain why there's a number of British gaffers that seem to have settled into place over there. The employers are responsible for the work permits, so ultimately it's their decision whether or not they renew it. Obviously this is all advice from the internet, so take it with a pinch of salt, but that's what I've read and it seems good... in theory!

EDIT: It's also worth noting that 95% of forces WON'T have you back, because a) you'll have to resign as they don't seem to do proper career breaks any more, and b) you won't pass any vetting tests as you'll have been out of the country for 3+ years, which (as far as I'm aware) means you have to wait 6 months until you can be vetted... I've read some horror stories about cops that have returned to the UK, had to re-join from scratch, and then failed the vetting. After waiting 6 months, they applied again, only to be mucked about because of some "outstanding" complaint with the RCIPS!

Source: http://www.policeoracle.com/forum/in...nd-re-joining/

Pollyana Mar 3rd 2014 2:55 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 

Originally Posted by metalredstar (Post 11155793)
Aaand apparently private messaging is restricted to users with more than 3 posts...

That is for a reason. BE does not want people joining purely to 'spam' other users with unwanted private messages. We actually like people to contribute to the site and hold discussions into which all members can join.

While we appreciate that some details are best exchanged purely by private message, if everything takes place that way the forum ceases to be a source of useful info and may as well close down. Posters who simply do three posts to get their post count up will find their count will drop and they may not be able to post at all.

Please could all users post constructively and help the forum stay alive! We want the next lot of applicants to be able to read your expereces :)

metalredstar Mar 3rd 2014 3:44 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11156178)
That is for a reason. BE does not want people joining purely to 'spam' other users with unwanted private messages. We actually like people to contribute to the site and hold discussions into which all members can join.

While we appreciate that some details are best exchanged purely by private message, if everything takes place that way the forum ceases to be a source of useful info and may as well close down. Posters who simply do three posts to get their post count up will find their count will drop and they may not be able to post at all.

Please could all users post constructively and help the forum stay alive! We want the next lot of applicants to be able to read your expereces :)

Hi, thanks for the input! I completely understand your explanation, however (speaking for myself) the majority of the threads I'm interested in (certainly at the moment) are all circa 2010/2011. Part and parcel of the requirement of this particular thread is obtaining information which, due to the sensitive nature of the job we're discussing, some people may not be comfortable sharing on a public forum, because the matter will inevitably be archived by Google and thus become available for all and sundry to see forevermore. It doesn't look as though you've looked at this in context.

Taking your explanation on board, I think it's a little paranoid to suggest that, without your input, EVERYTHING will end up as back-and-forth PM's. I appreciate fully the requirement to have a fully functioning board, and the information and assistance that can be obtained from somewhere like this is pure gold, however... As I said to somebody on a PM, I normally avoid forums for EXACTLY this sort of reason. A new thread starts, and within a couple of posts, there's a moderator giving a gentle reminder to "post constructively". Everybody IS posting constructively! However, having seen some of the ways previous threads have ended up, I understand why you're so keen on the warning, although personally, it now feels a little like we're children being chastised.

I hope that's not out of order :confused:

Pollyana Mar 3rd 2014 9:50 pm

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 

Originally Posted by metalredstar (Post 11156239)
Hi, thanks for the input! I completely understand your explanation, however (speaking for myself) the majority of the threads I'm interested in (certainly at the moment) are all circa 2010/2011. Part and parcel of the requirement of this particular thread is obtaining information which, due to the sensitive nature of the job we're discussing, some people may not be comfortable sharing on a public forum, because the matter will inevitably be archived by Google and thus become available for all and sundry to see forevermore. It doesn't look as though you've looked at this in context.

Taking your explanation on board, I think it's a little paranoid to suggest that, without your input, EVERYTHING will end up as back-and-forth PM's. I appreciate fully the requirement to have a fully functioning board, and the information and assistance that can be obtained from somewhere like this is pure gold, however... As I said to somebody on a PM, I normally avoid forums for EXACTLY this sort of reason. A new thread starts, and within a couple of posts, there's a moderator giving a gentle reminder to "post constructively". Everybody IS posting constructively! However, having seen some of the ways previous threads have ended up, I understand why you're so keen on the warning, although personally, it now feels a little like we're children being chastised.

I hope that's not out of order :confused:

When you are more familiat with BE you will realise it is actually very rare for a moderator to jump in on a thread- we really do try to stay in the background. But as you have seen, other threads in this area of the forum have quickly gone pear-shaped - I am merely trying to avoid that happening again, I'm sure you've seen also that the last time the RCIPS was discussed a lot on here it got rather heated. At that time we had some nasty issues behind the scenes involving a couple of those posting on the subject - hence my wanting to keep half an eye out in case those posters return.
Certainly not chastising you!

On a personal note I actually enjoy delving into the threads in e poice area - many years as a 'civvy' back in the UK has left me with an interest in seeing how policing varies across the world!
Good luck to those of you looking to make the move!

metalredstar Mar 4th 2014 9:46 am

Re: Any current or recent RCIPS officers on here?
 

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11156846)
At that time we had some nasty issues behind the scenes involving a couple of those posting on the subject - hence my wanting to keep half an eye out in case those posters return.

*adjusts sunglasses and trooper hat*

Well ma'am, if you run a background check against my licence and registration, you'll see I'm a clean citizen with nothing to hide! :p

But seriously, that's clarified things, appreciate it! :thumbup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.