Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

American police to Oz police?

American police to Oz police?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:35 pm
Student Nurse

scotoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American police to Oz police?

My fiance has been talking of getting into the police force in the US could he get a job as a police officer in Australia? I know you can do it if your in a UK force.

Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Lewis2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American police to Oz police?

Originally Posted by scotoz
My fiance has been talking of getting into the police force in the US could he get a job as a police officer in Australia? I know you can do it if your in a UK force.

Thanks
Sorry just trying to clarify, is your fiance already a police officer if so which force, if he is already a Police officer (UK, USA or wherever)once he gets PR visa (Australia) he could apply for the PACE (transferees course) in QLD.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:32 pm
Student Nurse

scotoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lewis2
Sorry just trying to clarify, is your fiance already a police officer if so which force, if he is already a Police officer (UK, USA or wherever)once he gets PR visa (Australia) he could apply for the PACE (transferees course) in QLD.
He has the option of training to become a police officer in the US as his father was a sheriff and is a diesel fitter too so he has the option of the 2 if he cannot get into mechanical engineering. Just wondering which of the 2 would be the better industry to get into for better job prospects/salary?

I wasn't sure if a US citizen working in the US as a police officer could get PR for Australia? I know it can be done if your in a UK force.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Lewis2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scotoz
He has the option of training to become a police officer in the US as his father was a sheriff and is a diesel fitter too so he has the option of the 2 if he cannot get into mechanical engineering. Just wondering which of the 2 would be the better industry to get into for better job prospects/salary?

I wasn't sure if a US citizen working in the US as a police officer could get PR for Australia? I know it can be done if your in a UK force.
He would still need to get the visa before applying to QLD police but if he is a trained diesel mechanic then I would suggest he looks at these skills for applying for the skills migration visa. He can always arrive as a diesel fitter then change career and join the Police. This would mean you are not tied to any particular state.