Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Old Jun 29th 2016, 10:40 am
Just Joined

philmread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Hi.

I am currently a police officer in the UK. My partner is looking at applying for a 489 visa in Australia, with me on the visa as partner. I understand that makes us a temporary resident, would I be able to apply for a job as a police officer in Australia? If not would a permanent visa (subclass 190) make a difference? Can anyone help?
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:26 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Originally Posted by philmread
Hi.

I am currently a police officer in the UK. My partner is looking at applying for a 489 visa in Australia, with me on the visa as partner. I understand that makes us a temporary resident, would I be able to apply for a job as a police officer in Australia? If not would a permanent visa (subclass 190) make a difference? Can anyone help?
The permanent visa is always the better option. I believe that if you have PR you can apply for state police forces but not sure if you only have TR. You may also want to ask in the Australian section - Australia - British Expats
Old Jun 30th 2016, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Thank you for your reply, I will re post. Does anyone know about the Temporary Visa?
Old Jul 5th 2016, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

QPS do NOT accept Temp visas but will accept on a Residents visa.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply.

This is a long shot, but looking at the ACT list it says this under Closed Occupations.

CLOSED OCCUPATIONS

You may be eligible to apply for ACT nomination of a closed occupation if you have close ties (job offer or close family) to Canberra and you meet the nomination criteria.

Do you think there is any chance that the force might be able to employ someone from the UK?

Or if my partner's Aunt lived in ACT (Still trying to find out where she lives)
Old Jul 9th 2016, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philmread
Hi, thanks for your reply.

This is a long shot, but looking at the ACT list it says this under Closed Occupations.

CLOSED OCCUPATIONS

You may be eligible to apply for ACT nomination of a closed occupation if you have close ties (job offer or close family) to Canberra and you meet the nomination criteria.

Do you think there is any chance that the force might be able to employ someone from the UK?

Or if my partner's Aunt lived in ACT (Still trying to find out where she lives)
No. ACT Policing is part of the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and to join the AFP you must be an Australian Citizen.

If you move to ACT because your partner gets a visa you could still look at applying for NSW Police as the ACT is surrounded by NSW and it's a small place. Many people live in NSW and work in ACT and visa versa.

Most state police services will allow people to apply if they have permanent resident. AFP is the only one that needs to be a citizen, and ACT Police is part of AFP so they also have the citizenship requirement.

Get your partner to look into getting Permamnet Residency and then you've got a shot at the state police forces.

Good luck.