Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Advice for a UK Cop to becomming a US Cop

Advice for a UK Cop to becomming a US Cop

Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:15 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for a UK Cop to becomming a US Cop

Originally Posted by jamieamis
Please explain to me exactly what a GED is and entails?
Essentially its an exam you can take after high school graduation (18 years of age) which allows you to obtain an equivalency qualification if you did not graduate from high school.

Google it for many explanations, beware of those taking money for its administration. If you use a government center its free:

Here is the California state link:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/gd/
Old May 6th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

jamieamis is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the information will look more into it.....I was just wondering what other officers experience has been finding work in the USA if they haven't had a degree and have been relying solely on their experiences etc.

I know that the majority that have done the move have had a lot more experience than me or have completed their full term 30 years or so but it would be useful to know, thank you
Old May 21st 2011, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point

Jamie,

As others have outlined it is very difficult over here to become a Police Officer without having Citizenship, particularly after 9/11. I was a skipper in the Met and got injured on the job and pensioned after 20 years, I managed to get a green card and emmigrated to Florida in 2000. As a Green Card Holder I was eligible to work or not work, for a while I was an armed Securitu Officer at the local Dog Track. My background qualified me as a PI so I obtained my license in 2003. Here's the crazy thing with politics over here. I am a Florida Department of Law Enforcement certified Firearms and General subjects Instructor. Which mean I can teach at the Police Academy. That said, I don't have the degree points to allow me to take the Academy as a student (try and figure that out, I can Instruct the Acamey but can't take it). I'm getting on a bit now and although there's no age limit I doubt I'll pursue it, as aformer Team Leader with an SO19 SFO Team I think I'm all worn out.

Good Luck and be safe.
Best,
Steve
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

woodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Jamie,

As others have outlined it is very difficult over here to become a Police Officer without having Citizenship, particularly after 9/11. I was a skipper in the Met and got injured on the job and pensioned after 20 years, I managed to get a green card and emmigrated to Florida in 2000. As a Green Card Holder I was eligible to work or not work, for a while I was an armed Securitu Officer at the local Dog Track. My background qualified me as a PI so I obtained my license in 2003. Here's the crazy thing with politics over here. I am a Florida Department of Law Enforcement certified Firearms and General subjects Instructor. Which mean I can teach at the Police Academy. That said, I don't have the degree points to allow me to take the Academy as a student (try and figure that out, I can Instruct the Acamey but can't take it). I'm getting on a bit now and although there's no age limit I doubt I'll pursue it, as aformer Team Leader with an SO19 SFO Team I think I'm all worn out.

Good Luck and be safe.
Best,
Steve
Steve ive sent you a private message
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by woodworker
Steve ive sent you a private message
Thanks Woodworker, I can't open it till I get to 3 posts, so here's number 2.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Just to update those who may be interested I was recently back in the USA visiting my girlfriend and as a result we are now engaged.....so all the hard work starts from here as we are looking to get married in the USA in September next year.

Hope everyone is well
Old Jul 31st 2011, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamieamis
Just to update those who may be interested I was recently back in the USA visiting my girlfriend and as a result we are now engaged.....so all the hard work starts from here as we are looking to get married in the USA in September next year.

Hope everyone is well
Good luck mate.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck mate.
also if anyone has any more useful hints or tips in regards to civillian or administrative roles then this would also be appreciated
Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Its not easy but can be done. I did it. Different states will have different criteria but this is my experience.

13 years in UK police (sergeant) then met and married a US citizen. Initialy had to apply for permanent citizenship then later qualified for US citizenship. There were a lot of immigration hoops to jump through. Took about 6 years from initial resident application to final citizenship. It took another 4 years before I was in a personal position to apply for work as a LEO.

A lot of States have certification requirements that have to be met before you can become a LEO. My experience is with the State of North Carolina.

"Certification" in NC meant I needed to attend and complete Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) then pass the State exam. Similar to Police Training Centers in the UK except that I was not yet employed by an agency (police force) and so I had to be self financed.

My BLET lasted 16 weeks. Had to pass multiple written and practical tests every week (pass mark was 80% per test). Three scores under 80% meant you were kicked off. Only about 50% of the class made it through to the final State exam. State exam needed to be passed to get certification. I did not find it easy (25 years since I attended police training college in Wales!), I was the oldest in class but I completed it.

After certification students had a year to be sworn as a LEO. If not then you have to go through the entire process again.
I was one of the lucky ones and found employment the same week I finished BLET (top of the class and scored one of the highest ever in the State exam probably helped me).

There may be shorter routes but don't under estimate the culture shock between the US and UK. I was pretty 'Americanized' before I became a Leo.

Best of luck.

Last edited by bobbyleo; Jul 31st 2011 at 8:08 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie.

I cant reply to your pm until I get 3 posts.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
Three.
well done lol
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
Its not easy but can be done. I did it. Different states will have different criteria but this is my experience.

13 years in UK police (sergeant) then met and married a US citizen. Initialy had to apply for permanent citizenship then later qualified for US citizenship. There were a lot of immigration hoops to jump through. Took about 6 years from initial resident application to final citizenship. It took another 4 years before I was in a personal position to apply for work as a LEO.

A lot of States have certification requirements that have to be met before you can become a LEO. My experience is with the State of North Carolina.

"Certification" in NC meant I needed to attend and complete Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) then pass the State exam. Similar to Police Training Centers in the UK except that I was not yet employed by an agency (police force) and so meant I had to be self financed.

My BLET lasted 16 weeks. Had to pass multiple written and practical tests every week (pass mark was 80% per test). Three scores under 80% meant you were kicked off. Only about 50% of the class made it through to the final State exam. State exam needed to be passed to get certification. I did not find it easy (25 years since I attended police training college in Wales!) but I completed it.

After certification students had a year to find employment as a LEO. If not then you have to go through the entire process again.
I was one of the lucky ones and found employment the same week I finished BLET (I came top of the class and scored one of the highest ever in the State exam so that may have helped).

I am sure my previous law enforcement career in the UK may have added some weight to me getting employed but the 10 year break obviously watered things a lot. If your starting from scratch as a non US citizen then I would say expect at least a 5 year period to get all your ducks in a row if everything goes smoothly before getting a LEO job.

There may be shorter routes but don't under estimate the culture shock between the US and UK. I was pretty 'Americanized' before I became a Leo.

Best of luck.
Bobby,

Similar boat to you, I have just made the decision to apply for the Academy, 20 years in the Met, retired as a skipper on SO19. Did my first Training School 33 years ago, I'll have been out of the job now for 15 years. Wish me luck, I have a feeling I'll need it.
Be Safe,
Steve
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:15 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby,

Similar boat to you, I have just made the decision to apply for the Academy, 20 years in the Met, retired as a skipper on SO19. Did my first Training School 33 years ago, I'll have been out of the job now for 15 years. Wish me luck, I have a feeling I'll need it.
Be Safe,
Steve

Being close to retirement in the UK means I think you are all a bit mad - but just wanted to say good luck to all of you all the same.

Steve I am going to pm you

Dread - x
Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Being close to retirement in the UK means I think you are all a bit mad - but just wanted to say good luck to all of you all the same.

Steve I am going to pm you

Dread - x

Maybe just a little mad Its a great privilege to be given the opportunity to do something like this and its my way of giving something back.

Steve, you have a pm
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

bluemoon_113 is an unknown quantity at this point

The discussion is fascinating.

I've not posed on here before but have been following the thread as have an ambition, albeit it complex and unrealistic, to gain experience in the NYPD.

I have 2 1/2 years in the Met and enjoy it very much. It's a shame that links between police services across countries are not greater as the experience shared could be of value to individuals and institutions as a whole.

It seems fairly clear that to join any US department there are a number of years in waiting (essentially out of the job). In fairness, we are no less stringent with a 3 year residency fulfillment required before applying to the Met.

On the other hand, it's interesting to see some who have taken the dive and are now applying for US LE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.