Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Advice for a UK Cop to becomming a US Cop

Advice for a UK Cop to becomming a US Cop

Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

jamieamis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for a UK Cop to becomming a US Cop

Hi to all of you on here,

I have posted on here before in other peoples threads but thought I would try to get my individual question(s) answered.

I am a British Police Officer, based in the UK who has just completed my initial 2 year probationary period. I am currently dating an american girl, who lives in the Cincinnati area of the USA and things are going really well. We make time every 2-3 months to see one another (either she fly's here, I fly there or we meet up on vacation elsewhere) and we talk pretty much everyday on Skype.

Its getting to the point where I am now looking at ways in which to get over to the USA to allow the relationship to develop further. Now there is a good prospect of marriage in the future so I would have a way in more permenantly via that route however, before making a commitment to that I would want to test the water as such, by spending an extended period of time in the US with her, to make sure that things will work on an everyday basis.

I preferably would want to do this by way of a career break which I know I can do with the Police and have seen on this site other officers doing the same, so that if things did not work out I would still have my career to fall back on.

So once I manage to figure out my way into the USA to be with this young lady on a permenant basis, I was wondering if any of the ex-pats have any advice on how they managed to make it (following the 3-5 year gap to allow for citizenship application) and find themselves back in the job they love.

Whether it be through doing a 2 year degree, to working as a Security Guard or finding themselves a civillian post in the Police.

I would really appreciate anything.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Advice for a UK Cop to becomming a US Cop

I dont suppose their are any british officers that have made the move and that can help me with any advice then? :-(
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

There's several other threads on this forum asking similar questions. Have you checked those out as there may be people on there who can answer your questions?

Tim
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:33 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamieamis
I dont suppose their are any british officers that have made the move and that can help me with any advice then? :-(
I'm here mate..

Short and curly version:

You move here, legally, assuming you married your gal, green card, still conditional for two years I think.

Most agencies, particularly in CA, want you to be a legal permanent resident who has applied for and is eligible for citizenship. Then you can come on board.

Your UK police experience will stand you in good stead, the principles of policing are the same throughout most modern western countries. We even teach Sir Robert Peel's principles of Policing, I'm looking at them posted above my desk as I write.

Anyway, in the interim period, there are any number of things you can do, if you would like to pretty much sew up a job in LE over here, join the military, put your time in, you will earn beaucoup respect for that, and it will help you broaden your horizons about americans. That will also expedite your path to citizenship.

A combination of police and military experience is appealing to most departments.

Words of caution:

1. I am no immigration or visa expert, and certainly dont marry anyone just to get a green card (not saying you are or will)

2. Policing here is a different world, although I would venture to say we do a pretty good job and for the most part the community and public love their cops. Just be wary, its nothing like policing in the UK, less paperwork for a start.

PM me with any other questions if you like.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SDDep
I'm here mate..

Short and curly version:

You move here, legally, assuming you married your gal, green card, still conditional for two years I think.

Most agencies, particularly in CA, want you to be a legal permanent resident who has applied for and is eligible for citizenship. Then you can come on board.

Your UK police experience will stand you in good stead, the principles of policing are the same throughout most modern western countries. We even teach Sir Robert Peel's principles of Policing, I'm looking at them posted above my desk as I write.

Anyway, in the interim period, there are any number of things you can do, if you would like to pretty much sew up a job in LE over here, join the military, put your time in, you will earn beaucoup respect for that, and it will help you broaden your horizons about americans. That will also expedite your path to citizenship.

A combination of police and military experience is appealing to most departments.

Words of caution:

1. I am no immigration or visa expert, and certainly dont marry anyone just to get a green card (not saying you are or will)

2. Policing here is a different world, although I would venture to say we do a pretty good job and for the most part the community and public love their cops. Just be wary, its nothing like policing in the UK, less paperwork for a start.

PM me with any other questions if you like.
Thank you ever so much for your reply, I will make sure I pop you a PM when I get some time to do so.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:36 am
Just Joined

salisbury24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamieamis
Thank you ever so much for your reply, I will make sure I pop you a PM when I get some time to do so.
Hello to everybody,

I hope you all will be fine and fresh. I need a help regarding a "Simple Caution" from Police in London about 2 months ago. I am currently based in London. Do anybody know any Good Solicitor/Lawyer in London who actually knows about Canadian Immigration and Rehabilitation Offender Act 1974. I am badly looking for it. Please help me, if anybody has any information. Many thanks !!!

Regards
Old Mar 14th 2011, 4:04 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Salisbury,
Please dont multiple post the same thing in different threads. Particularly if the thread has nothing to do with your situation.

Thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Spectral is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack this thread. I understand that in order to work for the Police in the US one has to be a USC. Is that the case with work in Criminalistics/Forensic Investigation as well or can non-US citizens apply for those jobs as well (and then pray for sponsorship)?

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

A lot of civilian jobs in the police service over here require you to be at least a permanent resident,so non US citizens can apply,but you have to have the right to live/work here in the first place. The chances of you being sponsored for those jobs are pretty much zero,l would say.

Originally Posted by Spectral
Sorry to hijack this thread. I understand that in order to work for the Police in the US one has to be a USC. Is that the case with work in Criminalistics/Forensic Investigation as well or can non-US citizens apply for those jobs as well (and then pray for sponsorship)?

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Would you say that if someone`s bilingual (fluent English and Polish + elemental Spanish, willing to pick it up quickly) they`d have a bit more chance?

Also, I tried to look up the military route on the Internet but there seem to be mixed opinions as to the possibility of obtaining a military job while a non-resident.

Thanks for your reply
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

Would you say that if someone`s bilingual (fluent English and Polish + elemental Spanish, willing to pick it up quickly) they`d have a bit more chance?

Also, I tried to look up the military route on the Internet but there seem to be mixed opinions as to the possibility of obtaining a military job while a non-resident.

Thanks for your reply
No l don't think being bilingual would make any difference at all really.

Don't know too much about going the military route but l would have thought that you'd still have to be at least a permanent resident and,again,have the right to live/work here in the first place, but l'm sure somebody with more knowledge on that aspect will correct me if l'm wrong
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:34 pm
Not around much..

Thanks for your reply
You have to at minimum be some kind of a resident, permanent, conditional etc to join the military. Work permits and such dont cut it, unless something has changed I'm not aware of.

Bilingual is a plus to get hired, provided other conditions are met...
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies Sounds like a looong way to go, if at all.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:30 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies Sounds like a looong way to go, if at all.
Becoming a police officer in the US is not for the faint hearted. It can be done but I have posted below the main requirement which slips people up. The US citizenship or permanent resident part is step one. Without this you have no chance whatsoever. But take a look at education. Most UK citizens do not have an American GED. IF you have a degree fine but it has to be accredited. I strongly advise you to look at that process because it is not cheap, and comes frankly with no guarantee's. In the 20 years I have been here I have seen the accreditation business blossom into many different professions and it becomes another hurdle/ barrier level of bureaucracy that you will have to deal with.

If you go the GED route then this is just time consuming. If a center allows you to challenge their state GED rather than mandatorily sit through the classes before you can take the tests then consider yourself lucky. If not allow up to 6 months just for this test. Frankly, it should not be hard for anyone with O level education or above. I took it for fun once (I must have been really bored). The centre was verily stunned when I came out in the top 1% of the state

Seriously, this education requirement is something you cannot get around. Without it as the text below alludes (taken by the way from the San Diego Police Recruitment site) you will most likely be screened out at an early stage in any application process.

Minimum Requirements

General
U.S. citizenship or permanent resident who is eligible and has applied for U.S. citizenship prior to application for employment.

Minimum Age
20 years of age on the day you take the Written Test; 21 at time of Academy graduation (No maximum age limit).

Education
Graduation from a high school located within the United States or a U.S. territory OR passage of the California High School Proficiency Examination OR G.E.D. with scores that meet the California standard established by the American Council on Education OR possession of a two or four year degree from an accredited college or university. (Accreditation must be from an institutional accrediting body which has been recognized by the Council on Post-secondary Accreditation.) Candidates screened by the Police Department must present proof of education when they submit their "Personal History Statement"
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Please explain to me exactly what a GED is and entails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.