Where's all the plumbers

Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice
Default Re: Where's all the plumbers

Originally Posted by gaynor-andy
Hi Simon, can you tell me if i need a licence to replace a bathroom suite or a kitchen sink in Aus. I fit kitchen and bathrooms for a living in the U.K, doing all the pipe work to replace from the old to the new, basically i do a complete bathroom or kitchen including the tiling. Any info would be greatful.

Thanks Andy
Hi Andy, Not fully upto speed on the complete picture wrt licensing but I believe the answer is yes, you need a license. I'm in the same sort of boat I do full bathrooms, strip out, tile and fit new. My initial plan was pack it in over here, move to Australia and set up on my own. Quickly found that it's not that simple. You could do the work "supervised" and then have it signed off by a licensed plumber, that's what I do with the oil work, I have a mate who's OFTEC registered. He comes in when I'm finished and does the commissioning and signing off.

I posted some links the wifes neice sent me from Qld.:-

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/links.html
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committe...n/chapter5.htm
http://www.licencerecognition.gov.au/authorities.aspx
http://www.lgp.qld.gov.au/?id=50
http://www.ausmasterplumbers.com.au/

Have a read,

Simon.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

gaynor-andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the info Simon, i will have a good read.

Andy
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

KELSEY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi you guys!
My oh also does plumbing in the uk. Only problem is he passed City and Guilds in September this year and started self-employed 4 months ago. Before that he was in the fish industry. It doesn't look GUD for us does it? I'm so glad to find other plumbers, been on another forum site and I think they are EXTINCT!!!!!!
Kelsey x
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future

Great to see a plumbers forum well done for starting it.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi.
We are currently living in New Zealand , himself being a plumber. You usually see my on this and elsewhere droning on about the poxy process of becoming a registered plumber in NZ - yawn.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice

Originally Posted by SimonG
I had planned to do that but received bad advice. Luckily seem to have it sorted now, so just setting the ball in motion. Might still be able to go down the TRA route, I was originally trained as a HVAC engineer, 7 years, out of the business for 13 years and last 2 and a bit self employed plumbing, htg and tiling. Agent has suggested may be able to avoid general plumber route and go in on something similiar. We'll see.

Good luck with the TRA.
hi there im also a plumber ,why not try for gas fitter,that is still assesed by TRA unlike plumber assesed by vetesess,that is the route im trying for.I also heard somewere that PATHWAY D could be back in force in jan 08 ????
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice

Originally Posted by SimonG
I had planned to do that but received bad advice. Luckily seem to have it sorted now, so just setting the ball in motion. Might still be able to go down the TRA route, I was originally trained as a HVAC engineer, 7 years, out of the business for 13 years and last 2 and a bit self employed plumbing, htg and tiling. Agent has suggested may be able to avoid general plumber route and go in on something similiar. We'll see.

Good luck with the TRA.
hi there im also a plumber ,why not try for gas fitter,that is still assesed by TRA unlike plumber assesed by vetesess,that is the route im trying for.I also heard somewere that PATHWAY D could be back in force in jan 08 ????
andy t
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by timmins family
andy t
Is pathway D where experience counts? If so it will be good news for Yorkie.
Can't go down the gas route, don't do gas, not for a long time anyway (13 years at least), and never had the inclination to go back to college to get updated. Sending initial documentation to the agent this week, time to get the ball rolling need to submit visa before end of Jan 08.

Simon.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

KELSEY is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKS TIMMINS FAMILY MEMBER FOR THE INFO XX
Old Oct 19th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

york1e is on a distinguished road

Yes Simon pathway D is for people like me who have no formal Qualifications
I've only been plumbing for 20yrs and i have pissed over some plumbers with so called qualifications.
vitesses is out of the question as it will cost $1060 "scandulous lol " plus you can only take the tests in either london or glasgow,and i live near Leeds
anyway good luck to all who are applying
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by york1e
Yes Simon pathway D is for people like me who have no formal Qualifications
I've only been plumbing for 20yrs and i have pissed over some plumbers with so called qualifications.
vitesses is out of the question as it will cost $1060 "scandulous lol " plus you can only take the tests in either london or glasgow,and i live near Leeds
anyway good luck to all who are applying
Hi, York1e, I know what you mean about qualifications vs experience. Went to the York Emigrate Expo a few weeks back, was talking to the landlady at the guest house we where in. Apparently she gets a lot of trade from the college across the road doing 4 weeks courses in plumbing. Frightening really.
Same boat with vetasses, I'm only 60 miles north of you, plus don't forget the $600 for the paperwork assessment.
Yes good luck to all on the path. It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has heard anything from vetasses under the new system!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

its just whatever gets me out there. i dont have to do gas when i'm out
Once you are out you can apply to the Plumbers Licence Board (PLB) for a provisional licence and authorisation to sit your plumbers licence at a TAFE. Or take your CORGI card to the department of energy and apply for a gas licence which will be issued on succesfully clompleting a TAFE course.

Well that's the way in WA
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

york1e is on a distinguished road

Where's all the plumbers
So glad me and simon g got this started its good to see so many people
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:53 pm
I'm going fishing .....

psa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant future

Hi there,
I only retrained last year, did my City & Guilds intensively from April - September and am now self employed, mainly doing bathrooms. Wish i'd took the plunge years ago regards plumbing full time.
I'm dismayed to learn that although I can trade in the UK as a Plumber i cannot emigrate to NZ without a NZ Level 4 rated qualification. The NZ PGDB won't even tell me what GB level of qual' equates to a NZ Level 4 without my shelling out a small fortune to have my qual assessed by them to see if it's suitable. Have found an Immigration Agent in NZ who wants me to pay even more so that they can approach the NZ PGDB to get me assessed :curse:.
Anyone have any experience with the PGDB and what level of GB qualification comes out at NZ Level 4 ?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by psa2570
Hi there,
I only retrained last year, did my City & Guilds intensively from April - September and am now self employed, mainly doing bathrooms. Wish i'd took the plunge years ago regards plumbing full time.
Hi. It's me again. We met on the NZ forum just now.
My husbands a plumber and we have been in NZ for 3 1/2 years now.

I think you'll find that many of the plumbers on this thread are looking to emigrate to Australia.

I'm dismayed to learn that although I can trade in the UK as a Plumber i cannot emigrate to NZ without a NZ Level 4 rated qualification. The NZ PGDB won't even tell me what GB level of qual' equates to a NZ Level 4 without my shelling out a small fortune to have my qual assessed by them to see if it's suitable.
Well no, they won't. The PGDB are money grabbing that's for sure.

Have found an Immigration Agent in NZ who wants me to pay even more so that they can approach the NZ PGDB to get me assessed :curse:.
Is this for real ? DON' T DO THAT :curse: Pay me the money.

Anyone have any experience with the PGDB and what level of GB qualification comes out at NZ Level 4 ?
Yes. I have. 4 flippin' years of the poxy PGDB. We came out on the skilled migrant category with my husband, as a plumber, being the principle applicant. He is now a registered plumber in NZ and currently looking to gain craftsman status.

Let's start a new thread about NZ plumbing , the PGDB etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.