British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Where's all the plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/wheres-all-plumbers-478164/)

york1e Aug 31st 2007 5:07 pm

Where's all the plumbers

Where's all the plumbers

SimonG Sep 3rd 2007 6:55 am

Re: Where's all the plumbers

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5257615)
Where's all the plumbers

I posted a mail last friday to ask if a plumbing section could be added. They where going to try and do it over the weekend!

york1e Sep 3rd 2007 4:15 pm

Marching on together lol
to say that quite a few plumbers are heading to oz you would of thought that there would be something on here

SimonG Sep 3rd 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5268212)
Marching on together lol
to say that quite a few plumbers are heading to oz you would of thought that there would be something on here

All intermingled in the Australian forums. How far along are you?

york1e Sep 3rd 2007 5:20 pm

I just managed to get my tra in before the 1st sept
how about you ?

SimonG Sep 3rd 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5268446)
I just managed to get my tra in before the 1st sept
how about you ?

I had planned to do that but received bad advice. Luckily seem to have it sorted now, so just setting the ball in motion. Might still be able to go down the TRA route, I was originally trained as a HVAC engineer, 7 years, out of the business for 13 years and last 2 and a bit self employed plumbing, htg and tiling. Agent has suggested may be able to avoid general plumber route and go in on something similiar. We'll see.

Good luck with the TRA.

york1e Sep 6th 2007 5:38 pm

Hi simon what happened to the plumbing section?
have you heard about the changes to TRA, totally fuxxed me up :curse:

SimonG Sep 7th 2007 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5281615)
Hi simon what happened to the plumbing section?
have you heard about the changes to TRA, totally fuxxed me up :curse:

They must have forgotten about it! I'll try again.

Are they the changes with regard to work experience? Seems to have come from nowhere. I'll have to check where it leaves me too!

york1e Sep 7th 2007 6:54 pm

yes apparently if you have no qualifications, they are returning your tra with a refund and not processing it:mad::frown::

SimonG Sep 8th 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5286078)
yes apparently if you have no qualifications, they are returning your tra with a refund and not processing it:mad::frown::

I have ONC and HNC in Building Services Engineering HVAC and my indentured apprenticeship papers. These should do the biz!

Do you reckon they will return yours?

york1e Sep 10th 2007 3:37 pm

Yes but i have all my gas certs. my agent suggested i go under the general plumbers route, maybe i could change to gas fitter

SimonG Sep 10th 2007 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5294698)
Yes but i have all my gas certs. my agent suggested i go under the general plumbers route, maybe i could change to gas fitter

Decided not to go down the gas route, once you get out of the town it's all oil and soild fuel. Plenty of work on the wet side (bathrooms) and the oil to keep me busy.

I just can't understand how they can change the rules at the drop of a hat!

york1e Sep 10th 2007 8:05 pm

its just whatever gets me out there. i dont have to do gas when i'm out

Tony1 Sep 13th 2007 2:39 pm

Hi,
I am returning to the UK to do a bit of Plumbing. I have a Meisterbreif which is the same as a NVQ4. Where would you suggest to go. I prefer oil to gas. Please dont say "try the north sea, mate!!!"

gaynor-andy Sep 17th 2007 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by SimonG (Post 5295389)
Decided not to go down the gas route, once you get out of the town it's all oil and soild fuel. Plenty of work on the wet side (bathrooms) and the oil to keep me busy.

I just can't understand how they can change the rules at the drop of a hat!

Hi Simon, can you tell me if i need a licence to replace a bathroom suite or a kitchen sink in Aus. I fit kitchen and bathrooms for a living in the U.K, doing all the pipe work to replace from the old to the new, basically i do a complete bathroom or kitchen including the tiling. Any info would be greatful.

Thanks Andy