Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Qualified in gas - but not in plumbing

Qualified in gas - but not in plumbing

Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

doogal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualified in gas - but not in plumbing

Hi there fellow gas men and plumbers,

I have been self employed as a gas fitter and plumber in the UK for 5+ years and have full C&G 6012 level 2 in gas and gas safe register licence natural gas and LPG, but no formal qualifications in plumbing. I am applying for a visa as a gas fitter, not plumber.

I am hoping to move to Oz in the new year and am trying to find out the quickest route to obtaining a full licence to work on gas and plumbing unsupervised as I do in the UK.

I know it's not easy to do... but am having trouble finding out the best route for someone in my situation... I'm quite happy to sit exams, take some additional training or whatever is needed before they will issue full licences. It's no use having a gas licence without being able to run water carrying pipework, so I defo need both gas AND plumbing licences.

I'm am not fussed about which state in Oz I have to go to do additional training or get licenced.

Is there anyone out there who has been in the same situation, being qualified in gas, but only has experience on the plumbing side? Which state are the easiest route to get recognised (eventually)?

Any help, advice or tales of stress and success are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by doogal; Nov 9th 2011 at 5:49 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

TommyLeeHallam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualified in gas - but not in plumbing

Im interested in this also doogal. Im almost the same regards experience and qualifications, and have to make mind up quick as my holiday working visa runs out in 3 weeks! Il keep an eye on this post.. But has your research found out what the most common way of heating water is in Aus? Solar and Unvented or LPG and Water Heaters?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Qualified in gas - but not in plumbing

Originally Posted by doogal
Hi there fellow gas men and plumbers,

I have been self employed as a gas fitter and plumber in the UK for 5+ years and have full C&G 6012 level 2 in gas and gas safe register licence natural gas and LPG, but no formal qualifications in plumbing. I am applying for a visa as a gas fitter, not plumber.

I am hoping to move to Oz in the new year and am trying to find out the quickest route to obtaining a full licence to work on gas and plumbing unsupervised as I do in the UK.

I know it's not easy to do... but am having trouble finding out the best route for someone in my situation... I'm quite happy to sit exams, take some additional training or whatever is needed before they will issue full licences. It's no use having a gas licence without being able to run water carrying pipework, so I defo need both gas AND plumbing licences.

I'm am not fussed about which state in Oz I have to go to do additional training or get licenced.

Is there anyone out there who has been in the same situation, being qualified in gas, but only has experience on the plumbing side? Which state are the easiest route to get recognised (eventually)?

Any help, advice or tales of stress and success are welcome!

Thanks in advance!
first things first, you need to be fussed about where you do your training, licenceing in aus is state reguilated, you can only work in the state you train in, ie no point in getting a licence in wa because it may be easy then moving to qld , you will have to do it all again, qld is the worst by far for making you leap through bloody big hoops. as for gas and plumbin g it can be done as seperate jobsd here in qld, most plumbers i know call in gas fitters to hook up hottys and vice versa, some do both but you could get a gas licence then worry about plumbing later, you could do night school for the plumbing. there is always work around it normally a matter of picking up the phone and ringing every one, most new builds are having solar or heat pumps fittted, however there are a lot of gas units getting slung in, i still laugh at the commisioning prcedures here in qld, flick the switch and run a tap and leave, good luck.