British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Plumbing in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/plumbing-uk-547460/)

le plumber Jul 7th 2008 12:56 pm

Plumbing in the UK

Hi everyone

This is a strange question for you, as most of you are wanting to know how to be a plumber in a foreign country, but I want to know how to do the opposite!!

I'm currently self employed in France, (where I got my qualifications). I would really like to come back home to the UK but don't know how my french qualifications stand up to C&G/NVQ..........
Does anybody know how I can get these qualifications assessed, or would there be no need??

Thanks for any ideas

johnknight001 Jul 7th 2008 5:35 pm

Re: Plumbing in the UK

yes you can transfer them sort of, go to a fe college and they should be able to apl them (acrredited prior learning) usually a trade chat with a nvq assessor, is is not straightforward but all possable.
john

le plumber Jul 7th 2008 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 6545062)
yes you can transfer them sort of, go to a fe college and they should be able to apl them (acrredited prior learning) usually a trade chat with a nvq assessor, is is not straightforward but all possable.
john

Hi john

Thanks very much for that, do you have any idea of how long the process takes??
Apart from CORGI is there a kind of plumbing licence in the UK that you need - I've heard of blue cards/Gold cards but I can't get my head round what they are for....and how do you get them?

johnknight001 Jul 8th 2008 6:48 am

you should be a able to cross your quals over in a few visits, apart from corgi registration which still requires ags assessment regardless off what you have now, there are restrictions on fitting unvented hot water, new restrictions on solar water, also water regs, rainwater harvesting, groundsource heat pumps, these are all one day courses that can be sat anywhere in the uk.
hope this helps.
john

johnknight001 Jul 8th 2008 6:49 am

sorry forgot to mention the cscs card it is a safety card for working on sites, it is usually a 1 day course sat anywhere in uk.
john

le plumber Jul 8th 2008 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 6546908)
sorry forgot to mention the cscs card it is a safety card for working on sites, it is usually a 1 day course sat anywhere in uk.
john

OK, thanks John. For the one day courses, do you have a contact I can get in touch with who organises these?

Thanks again for your help

johnknight001 Jul 8th 2008 5:44 pm

where abouts in the uk are you?
john

le plumber Jul 11th 2008 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 6549032)
where abouts in the uk are you?
john

Hi John

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not in the UK for the time being - still in Dijon, France. When we get back (prob beginning next year), we'll probably be looking at North Yorkshire (thats where I'm origionally from) but for the time being we're not too sure...

To explain a bit more my previous question, here in France there is a national building syndicat called CAPEB and it is this organisation you contact when you want to do 1 or 2 day courses etc. I was wondering if there is a similar system in the UK?? (I've googled, but haven't found anything).

Andrew

johnknight001 Jul 12th 2008 6:52 am

hi
there is loads of small companies doing training , usually from 1 or certifiying bodies, i will pm you some details.
john

le plumber Jul 25th 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 6562992)
hi
there is loads of small companies doing training , usually from 1 or certifiying bodies, i will pm you some details.
john

Hi again John, Just wondering if you have had the time to send the PM because I haven't recieved anything yet.

Thanks

Andrew