British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Plumber wanting Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/plumber-wanting-australia-893906/)

Dannyhlfc Mar 15th 2017 1:55 am

Plumber wanting Australia

I am a qualified plumber NVQ3 and I want to move to Australia. What do I need to do qualification wise to make it possible to work there? Where would anybody recommend? I want beaches and city life and also schools for 2 young children. What is the pay like for a plumber and working hours etc. I am self employed in England doing bathroom suites start to finish apart from the electrics but I am wanting to find a company to work for in Oz.
Thanks in advance for any help

Dorothy Mar 15th 2017 1:57 am

Re: Plumber wanting Australia

Originally Posted by Dannyhlfc (Post 12204906)
I am a qualified plumber NVQ3 and I want to move to Australia. What do I need to do qualification wise to make it possible to work there? Where would anybody recommend? I want beaches and city life and also schools for 2 young children. What is the pay like for a plumber and working hours etc. I am self employed in England doing bathroom suites start to finish apart from the electrics but I am wanting to find a company to work for in Oz.

Do you qualify for a visa? Start at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to see.

Bear in mind that beaches and city could be anywhere. You're going to have to be a bit more specific in what/where you want.

Dannyhlfc Mar 15th 2017 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12204908)
Do you qualify for a visa? Start at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to see.

Bear in mind that beaches and city could be anywhere. You're going to have to be a bit more specific in what/where you want.

I was thinking Queensland

Dorothy Mar 15th 2017 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dannyhlfc (Post 12205133)
I was thinking Queensland

Right. So do you qualify for the visa? If not then the rest is moot

suzan454 Mar 29th 2017 12:06 pm

What would it take an American plumber to switch in Australia?

nuzil Jun 13th 2017 8:08 am

I'm 20 years old and I want to know if I could move to Australia if I want in a few years as a plumber.

I went to college for two years and have a level 2 city and guilds diploma.

If anyone could tell me what they know it would be much appreciated thanks.

quiltman Jun 13th 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by nuzil (Post 12271826)
I'm 20 years old and I want to know if I could move to Australia if I want in a few years as a plumber.

I went to college for two years and have a level 2 city and guilds diploma.

If anyone could tell me what they know it would be much appreciated thanks.

Have a look at this thread : http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...advice-875897/

Pollyana Jun 13th 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12271876)

Be aware though that a lot of actual visa details may have changed since that thread was started. Be sure to check the current requirements on Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

nuzil Jun 13th 2017 9:53 am

Do you guys know about NVQ's?

quiltman Jun 13th 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12271892)
Be aware though that a lot of actual visa details may have changed since that thread was started. Be sure to check the current requirements on Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Thanks Pollyana. Never crossed my mind! Have a hug.

Pollyana Jun 13th 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12271916)
Thanks Pollyana. Never crossed my mind! Have a hug.

:o
The basics are still the same and its a good thread, just worth the OP ensuring the visa details are up-to-date. :)

old.sparkles Jun 13th 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by nuzil (Post 12271915)
Do you guys know about NVQ's?

Skills assessments for plumbers will want to see around 4000 hours of training (I think). They check to see if the training you have done would be equivalent to the AQF Cert III. I think I have read that an NVQ 2 or 3 will meet this requirement, but it all depends on how you present your evidence, what on the job skills you have covered, etc.

I would check out the Vetassess website info. They are not the only RTO that can assess the skill for UK plumbers, but they have been around the longest and do have lots of useful information on their website.

chris notts forest Apr 21st 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Dannyhlfc (Post 12204906)

Hi Danny I have been here 10 years now mate came here as a plumber and did my gas here and have since gone back to school for 3 years to get my electricians licence and now on brink of running my own business I live in Brisbane as it’s just the place to be in my opinion not sure on the licence you will be given on arrival as it’s different to when I came but plumbing and gas is generally $32-37 an hour depending on exsperience

old.sparkles Apr 21st 2018 10:43 am

Originally Posted by chris notts forest (Post 12486241)
Hi Danny I have been here 10 years now mate came here as a plumber and did my gas here and have since gone back to school for 3 years to get my electricians licence and now on brink of running my own business I live in Brisbane as it’s just the place to be in my opinion not sure on the licence you will be given on arrival as it’s different to when I came but plumbing and gas is generally $32-37 an hour depending on exsperience

Don't think OP is around anymore (not been on forum since Mar last year)