Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

NZ dream move (for a plumber)

NZ dream move (for a plumber)

Old May 2nd 2018, 8:17 am
Just Joined

ChrisF82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ dream move (for a plumber)

Hi everyone,

I spent 6 months travelling NZ back in 2009 and absolutely fell in love with the country. At the time, the recession had hit in and every job that become available was rightly offered to NZ citizens first. (I'm sure this hasn't changed) But this did impact (at the time), how many jobs were available for travellers on a WHV.
I am actually a plumber by trade, with over 16 years working in the industry.
My dream would be to move permanently but I am a little unsure on the best ways to gain a visa.
I have heard/ been told a couple of things which i hoped somebody may be able to confirm for me-

1- the best way to get a visa is apply and secure a job offer , get a sponsorship with the company, then work towards becoming a NZ registered plumber once in the country and working.
2- You can't get offered plumber jobs unless you are already in NZ.

I know that if I want to work as a plumber, I will need to get NZ registration once I am there , which I am more than happy with. I understand this will come at a cost, etc. I guess what I am really looking for is some guidance on what the best route to go down is?

I guess the million dollar question is = Where do you look for plumbing jobs, in hope of gaining that golden ticket? (or visa should i say.... )

I have been looking on job websites, but it seems 90% of the jobs advertised are either completely out dated, or they are posted by recruitment consultants (not the actual companies direct). The one recruitment consultant who took time to email me, didn't really shed much light - All she said was what I mentioned above. Basically, I am no use to her unless i'm already shacked up in NZ with my tool bag, ready to set to work!!

I will end this post now, because I am waffling on. I understand this is probably a post which has popped up on this forum a few million times before, and for that I am sorry to repeat. But any information and advice would be so hugely appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and all the best.

Chris
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:58 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ dream move (for a plumber)

Originally Posted by ChrisF82
Hi everyone,

I spent 6 months travelling NZ back in 2009 and absolutely fell in love with the country. At the time, the recession had hit in and every job that become available was rightly offered to NZ citizens first. (I'm sure this hasn't changed) But this did impact (at the time), how many jobs were available for travellers on a WHV.
My dream would be to move permanently but I am a little unsure on the best ways to gain a visa.
I have heard/ been told a couple of things which i hoped somebody may be able to confirm for me-

1- the best way to get a visa is apply and secure a job offer , get a sponsorship with the company, then work towards becoming a NZ registered plumber once in the country and working.

I know that if I want to work as a plumber, I will need to get NZ registration once I am there , which I am more than happy with. I understand this will come at a cost, etc. I guess what I am really looking for is some guidance on what the best route to go down is?

I guess the million dollar question is = Where do you look for plumbing jobs, in hope of gaining that golden ticket? (or visa should i say.... )

I have been looking on job websites, but it seems 90% of the jobs advertised are either completely out dated, or they are posted by recruitment consultants (not the actual companies direct). The one recruitment consultant who took time to email me, didn't really shed much light - All she said was what I mentioned above. Basically, I am no use to her unless i'm already shacked up in NZ with my tool bag, ready to set to work!!

I will end this post now, because I am waffling on. I understand this is probably a post which has popped up on this forum a few million times before, and for that I am sorry to repeat. But any information and advice would be so hugely appreciated.

Chris
Hey Chris - not sure if you've found it yet, but you may want to post in the general NZ section of BE - your post will get more views and you'll get some responses
Old May 4th 2018, 1:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ChrisF82
Hi everyone,

Chris
Can you please nip across to the NZ forum. I live in Nz and my husband is a fully qualified UK and NZ trained plumber/gasfitter.
Plumbers are not in shortage in New Zealand with the exception of the Canterbury area.
Old May 4th 2018, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Can you please nip across to the NZ forum. I live in Nz and my husband is a fully qualified UK and NZ trained plumber/gasfitter.
Plumbers are not in shortage in New Zealand with the exception of the Canterbury area.
Hi Bev I am new on here. Do you mean for me to just copy and paste my message onto the NZ forum? Thank you for your response.
Old May 4th 2018, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hey Chris - not sure if you've found it yet, but you may want to post in the general NZ section of BE - your post will get more views and you'll get some responses
Thank you for taking time to reply old sparkles. Appreciate your time.