British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   plumber`s story 3 years and waiting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/plumber%60s-story-3-years-waiting-591702/)

oz miller man Feb 15th 2009 11:53 pm

plumber`s story 3 years and waiting

just thought id post my experience in the aussie plumbing licence debate.
we first moved to oz in 2003 (sydney) as permanent residents through my partners job.
first thing i did was walk into hayes employment agency (as i had worked through them at various times in the uk) with my uk quals thinking this is going to be easy...
as we all know its not, and my uk city n guilds didnt mean a thing so off they were sent to the tra for assessment, this took 4 months and i was issued a nsw plumbing/draining/gasfiting certificate
in the meantime i had taken a job as a trades assistant working for one man n van subbie who had lost his driving licence drink driving. this gave me a taste of ozzie plumbing...not much to look forward to there im afraid..heaps of digging for drains, chasing pipes in walls, lugging oxy under house`s, red backs staring at you. 2n half hours unpaid travel to jobs and a great wage of $17 an hour im suprised i stuck it out the 3 months i did, but i did get to see how a subbie gets to work and prices to charge(his day rate was $380)
the tra certificate i was issued didt count for much and would only get me a tradesman certificate upon approval from nsw fair trading, and the year at night school tafe wanted was enough to put me off for good..infact it did ,not enough to go back to uk, but enough to do something else.
at the time foxtel digital had just kicked off, so i got into that, spent 5 grand getting van and tools reqd (a lot less than i would have needed to set up as a plumber), a weeks training then i was out on the road , bringing in $40 prh min.
the job was good and even got us out of sydney to the central coast where there was a shortage of installers, for 18 months all was good then the company who i subbed to lost the central coast contract so i was commuting back to sydney.
i then started looking for jobs local on the central coast and got a job changing water meters for gosford council as a subbie, no licences or plumbing quals reqd for this and a wage of $800-$1000 a week, lasted bout 3 months til contract ran out, there was more work coming up fitting water purifiers back in sydney, but we decided after 2 years in oz and having saved up a bit off cash(much easier to save over here) we were going to spend 6 months traveling up the east coast, so everything from the rental went into storage and we set off into the sunset with our 4x4.
after 3 months traveling we were up in byron and find out my partners expecting...well we did have no tv for 3 months.
as it was our first we decided to go back to the uk to the safety net of family. the 2 years we spent back to uk were a hard slog and we couldnt wait to return to oz.
we returned with our one year old son in march 2008 to the north nsw area we fell in love with traveling, the missus got a job straight away and ive been looking after the little one and sorting out my plumbing licences .
i found it a lot easier to do it in queensland and was issued with a pluming/draining provisional. and having kept my corgi uptodate a queensland full gas licence, these i swaped interstate to nsw and was issued a plumbing/draining tradesman certificate and gas supervisors certificate.
i did it this way because a qld gas licence gets you a nsw supervisors cert,
and with that i can get a subbie licence(gas only) or even branch out into other licences like pool building , lpg fitter or builder licence, all seem more apealing than the hoops n loops to go through to do plumbing over here, a job thats not as fun or rewarding as it in uk......i used to hate fitting combi`s everyday but its a lot more fun than digging miles of trenches in the red hot sun with a maddox and long handle shovel thing..
supose what im getting at is dont be put off moving to oz because of the plumbing hassles use your trade to get here then your knowledge as a tradesman to do something else that pays just the same because unless you go down the long expensive road to a full plumber/gasfitter/drainer licence your only going to get $25 prh on books.....$35 subbie.own van/tools/tax, no hols
a security guard gets almost that ??? and only has to turf a few oldies out of the bowling club when they close at 9.30pm.

oh another thing all these licences ive aquired the last year have all been paid for by centerlink.....because after been a resident for 2 years you get heaps of benifits...parenting alowence, rent rebate,free dental
and my surfing has improved heaps
this sure is the lucky country.....even for us whiging plumbers:

Pipkins Feb 16th 2009 7:29 pm

Re: plumber`s story 3 years and waiting

Wow, must have taken some time and effort to get that lot down. A great thread and really interesting to read your story! I am a plumber in England waiting for my visa (176 Qld) at the moment and am hearing lots of bad news, so it is great to read something that gives a different slant on migrating down under! Thanks for this. Maybe I'll look into a career in chasing old ladies off the bowling green, sounds less stressful.

Do I gather you have now gone back to plumbing though? Are you working in NSW or QLD, or both?

Mark

oz miller man Feb 19th 2009 10:22 pm

hi mark
looks like i was rambling on a bit above, just trying to make the point that its not easy to get on as a plumber here but there are plenty of other options.
i think i took all the knockbacks too personal when i first arrived, its hard when youve been doing a trade for 20 years to be told your not good enough to practice the job over here.
from my first encounter with tafe in sydney and them saying " not another pom plumber, what you come here for .theres aussie s working over in london getting £500 a week fitting bathrooms" and me thinking " shit i could get that a day , what do plumbers earn here"
and the guy i was working for as a trades aassistant orever pulling down the way we do things in uk as though there some kind of super plumbers for using silver solder,
laughable really, as there must be 5 times more pipework in a property in the uk than here, and its basic stuff at that, think what you see on your hols in spain or grease- hidden pipework or run externall around propertie second fixed with flexi`s n chrome domes.
sure they do roofing and draining, something i never did in uk . but never in a million years is plumbing more skilled here.
this last year ive been gettin my licences sorted and babysitting(can you say that when its your own), but hes due a placeat daycare so i will be on the lookout for work in the near future, going to try gas work in north nsw first before trying ccompanies on gold coast queensland. after reading the other posts in the plumbing section theres no one setting on provisional plumbers so i may find myself taking something else like i did in sydney,
in the meantime im on the rock n roll..lol
can you imagine gettingdole in the uk as a plumber....was never out of work more than a week back there.
apart from that australia is great we love it and would recommend to anyone..even plumbers
i will keep posted any news i get on the job front

gazclaire Feb 20th 2009 9:58 pm

Well done for knuckling down and getting on with it.
Good luck to you.
Gary

ronnie98 Feb 22nd 2009 2:46 pm

great read, is there much gas about and have you looked into air con?

oz miller man Mar 3rd 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by ronnie98 (Post 7310634)
great read, is there much gas about and have you looked into air con?

not something ive looked into but a few people have sugested,as its definitely a trade in demand, still need to be licenced and i imagine some college work would be needed, but the overall cost and time would be along the same lines of setting up plumbing

id love to get into the sola hot water side of things, theres a lot of government funding floating about to get people to swap over to sola and gas hot water, theres a few companies who specialize in this but they use subbies to do the work so still need to be fully licenced.

ive just started looking for jobs as of last few weeks, 2 local plumbing firms wanting trade qualified maintenance plumbers so dont need the full licence, had call from one today he seems keen to meet up for a chat, yet to hear from the other. only paying above award wages, not quite sure what that is but it dont sound like much and he did mention call out work but will know more when we meet up.

got a letter from queensland plumbing & draining board few days ago that says the provisional -full licence course will no longer be enough to get you a contractors licence a minimum of 12 months work experience is also required......not good news for us at all

on a positive note,
the queensland full gas licence is easy to get if your corgi is up to date, the conditions of mine were lpg under supervision as i didnt have lpg on my corgi...fair enough
but once swaped interstate to nsw you get full gas supervisors certificate including work on lpg
great news as its all lpg up here in north nsw and could in theory get a contractors licence through having this or even a gaffers job...nice

ive contacted the 2 main providers of lpg gas "origin" and "agl" in hope of getting on with them....fingers crossed

ill post any more news as it happens
good look to all the plumbers out there

Pipkins Mar 3rd 2009 12:12 pm

Great information again - certainly not rambling. It is so helpful here to read your progress as it happens! We really want to come to Oz but I do want to be able to provide for everyone and it is a big risk if work is hard to come by!

Good luck with the job interviews.

Mark

ronnie98 Mar 3rd 2009 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by oz miller man (Post 7339974)
not something ive looked into but a few people have sugested,as its definitely a trade in demand, still need to be licenced and i imagine some college work would be needed, but the overall cost and time would be along the same lines of setting up plumbing

id love to get into the sola hot water side of things, theres a lot of government funding floating about to get people to swap over to sola and gas hot water, theres a few companies who specialize in this but they use subbies to do the work so still need to be fully licenced.

ive just started looking for jobs as of last few weeks, 2 local plumbing firms wanting trade qualified maintenance plumbers so dont need the full licence, had call from one today he seems keen to meet up for a chat, yet to hear from the other. only paying above award wages, not quite sure what that is but it dont sound like much and he did mention call out work but will know more when we meet up.

got a letter from queensland plumbing & draining board few days ago that says the provisional -full licence course will no longer be enough to get you a contractors licence a minimum of 12 months work experience is also required......not good news for us at all

on a positive note,
the queensland full gas licence is easy to get if your corgi is up to date, the conditions of mine were lpg under supervision as i didnt have lpg on my corgi...fair enough
but once swaped interstate to nsw you get full gas supervisors certificate including work on lpg
great news as its all lpg up here in north nsw and could in theory get a contractors licence through having this or even a gaffers job...nice

ive contacted the 2 main providers of lpg gas "origin" and "agl" in hope of getting on with them....fingers crossed

ill post any more news as it happens
good look to all the plumbers out there

Great, keep us posted!

KateandPhil Mar 9th 2009 11:52 am

Originally Posted by oz miller man (Post 7302968)
hi mark
looks like i was rambling on a bit above, just trying to make the point that its not easy to get on as a plumber here but there are plenty of other options.
i think i took all the knockbacks too personal when i first arrived, its hard when youve been doing a trade for 20 years to be told your not good enough to practice the job over here.
from my first encounter with tafe in sydney and them saying " not another pom plumber, what you come here for .theres aussie s working over in london getting £500 a week fitting bathrooms" and me thinking " shit i could get that a day , what do plumbers earn here"
and the guy i was working for as a trades aassistant orever pulling down the way we do things in uk as though there some kind of super plumbers for using silver solder,
laughable really, as there must be 5 times more pipework in a property in the uk than here, and its basic stuff at that, think what you see on your hols in spain or grease- hidden pipework or run externall around propertie second fixed with flexi`s n chrome domes.
sure they do roofing and draining, something i never did in uk . but never in a million years is plumbing more skilled here.
this last year ive been gettin my licences sorted and babysitting(can you say that when its your own), but hes due a placeat daycare so i will be on the lookout for work in the near future, going to try gas work in north nsw first before trying ccompanies on gold coast queensland. after reading the other posts in the plumbing section theres no one setting on provisional plumbers so i may find myself taking something else like i did in sydney,
in the meantime im on the rock n roll..lol
can you imagine gettingdole in the uk as a plumber....was never out of work more than a week back there.
apart from that australia is great we love it and would recommend to anyone..even plumbers
i will keep posted any news i get on the job front

Hi Oz Miller Man (Miller) does that mean you are from Rotherham? Either way I have been reading your posts I am currently in Rotherham and moving to Brisbane in october. My acops are due in august and was unsure whether it was worth the time and money to renew for 2 months. But having read your posts it would seem it is as you said its easy to swap over if your corgi is upto date. Also as I am sitting the acops in august would it be worth doing lpg over in England too, something else you mentioned in your posts. Read your posts and found them very helpful if there is any good advice you may have it would be grately appreciated. I am emigrating on my skill as a Gasfitter which has just been upgraded to critical on skills needed in Oz so i presumed i could just walk into a job is not the case? Look forward to hearing from you Phil

oz miller man Mar 9th 2009 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 7359531)
Hi Oz Miller Man (Miller) does that mean you are from Rotherham? Either way I have been reading your posts I am currently in Rotherham and moving to Brisbane in october. My acops are due in august and was unsure whether it was worth the time and money to renew for 2 months. But having read your posts it would seem it is as you said its easy to swap over if your corgi is upto date. Also as I am sitting the acops in august would it be worth doing lpg over in England too, something else you mentioned in your posts. Read your posts and found them very helpful if there is any good advice you may have it would be grately appreciated. I am emigrating on my skill as a Gasfitter which has just been upgraded to critical on skills needed in Oz so i presumed i could just walk into a job is not the case? Look forward to hearing from you Phil

ey up phil,
yes mate im from rotherham came to oz in 2003 but had 2006/07 back in rotherham have been back in australia a year now, in them 2 years back in uk i updated my corgi just to secure a better paid and easier job (gasfitter for ROK on the decent homes then subbed doing heatings). turned out to be a good move as queensland mines and energy recognisee upto date acop so the queensland gas licence was easy to get, defo do the LPG will save you having to do it here. with a full gas licence under your belt i cant see you having much trouble finding work in brisbane. gasfitting work over here has just been another part of the plumbers job along with drains and roofing so theres not many that specialize in this field like you get in the uk and i think the upgrade to critical on the skills list is an indication that more and more people are swapping over to gas water heaters due to the government grants available.
good luck with the move

KateandPhil Mar 10th 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by oz miller man (Post 7361057)
ey up phil,
yes mate im from rotherham came to oz in 2003 but had 2006/07 back in rotherham have been back in australia a year now, in them 2 years back in uk i updated my corgi just to secure a better paid and easier job (gasfitter for ROK on the decent homes then subbed doing heatings). turned out to be a good move as queensland mines and energy recognisee upto date acop so the queensland gas licence was easy to get, defo do the LPG will save you having to do it here. with a full gas licence under your belt i cant see you having much trouble finding work in brisbane. gasfitting work over here has just been another part of the plumbers job along with drains and roofing so theres not many that specialize in this field like you get in the uk and i think the upgrade to critical on the skills list is an indication that more and more people are swapping over to gas water heaters due to the government grants available.
good luck with the move

Cheers mate very helpful booked into do my acops and lpg another grand down the drain but will be all worth it when I make it to Aussie! Just out of interest what are you currently doing for work now?

oz miller man Mar 11th 2009 2:39 am

not worked for the last year mate . had the little boy to look after until a day care place comes up and its taken almost that long to get my licences sorted .but because we have been here 2 years we get rent assistance and parenting allowance from center link on top of my partners wage ,enough to get by on so ive been in no rush to take any old job on .
just appreciating the lifestyle and spending time on the beach with my lad was working 60hrs plus a week in the uk just to survive so missed out on a lot.
luckily the mrs enjoys her job and only does 3 days so we now have lots of time off together
also got the surfing bug so trying to master the art of riding waves..

you will find it a lot more laid back out here mate...takes a bit of getting used to at first .

KateandPhil Mar 11th 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by oz miller man (Post 7365850)
not worked for the last year mate . had the little boy to look after until a day care place comes up and its taken almost that long to get my licences sorted .but because we have been here 2 years we get rent assistance and parenting allowance from center link on top of my partners wage ,enough to get by on so ive been in no rush to take any old job on .
just appreciating the lifestyle and spending time on the beach with my lad was working 60hrs plus a week in the uk just to survive so missed out on a lot.
luckily the mrs enjoys her job and only does 3 days so we now have lots of time off together

you will find it a lot more laid back out here mate...takes a bit of getting used to at first .

Sounds like heaven! I've already got the surfing bug plus diving and fishing bug and none of them are too great in Rotherham lol.
Travelled Oz for a year in 2000 so know where you are coming from. Work to live not live to work!
Someone else has said on BE that we can claim from centre link the moment we arrive is that right?

Catch Mar 14th 2009 6:23 am

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 7359531)

Gas fitter on "critical" skills list.That sounds a bit dodgy:huh:

kevpam Mar 14th 2009 8:06 am

CATCH I have seen you have been on a few diffrent discussion and you always seam to be negitive .WHY????????????????

Catch Mar 14th 2009 8:49 am

Originally Posted by kevpam (Post 7378028)
CATCH I have seen you have been on a few diffrent discussion and you always seam to be negitive .WHY????????????????

not negative or positive ,just try to be truthfull.As regards to gasfitters being on a critical list seems very strange.Being plumbing here since 2006 had ups and downs.Dont cast me as Negative as i have helped many plumbers on here via PM's.If you want to believe the stuff immigration agents tell you ok,i wont bother making a comment,as well informed people like you know better.

oz miller man Mar 14th 2009 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 7367161)
Sounds like heaven! I've already got the surfing bug plus diving and fishing bug and none of them are too great in Rotherham lol.
Travelled Oz for a year in 2000 so know where you are coming from. Work to live not live to work!
Someone else has said on BE that we can claim from centre link the moment we arrive is that right?

i think if you have a passion for the outdoors and playing in the ocean work can defiantly wait , got my padi but not done any diving for years and just started with the fishing but lived in cornwall for 3 years so got the basics of surfing out of the way, good job as the waves pack more of a punch than those of cayton bay , so had to ditch the mal and get to grips with a short board.
you can claim family tax credit straight away but not other benefits until you have been resident 2 years .
treat the first 2 years like a holiday its hard enough moving to the other side of the world but add the pressure of wanting your dream home with pool and ocean views , running your own plumbing business and brand new duel cab straight away is going to make you hate the place...because even if you come with shit loads of money its not going to happen...not in the plumbing game anyhow.
nah my advice is rent somewhere cheap as close to the beach as you can and enjoy the lifestyle.
you will get the dream home eventually, you will have the dream lifestyle as soon as you get off the plane

Dan the Plumber Mar 16th 2009 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 7378074)
not negative or positive ,just try to be truthfull.As regards to gasfitters being on a critical list seems very strange.Being plumbing here since 2006 had ups and downs.Dont cast me as Negative as i have helped many plumbers on here via PM's.If you want to believe the stuff immigration agents tell you ok,i wont bother making a comment,as well informed people like you know better.

Well said - I totally agree - Catch does offer help and advice and also the truth, which is what we all want to hear anyway right?
Btw how are you mate? We've been in Perth now for 6 weeks - just done my gasIII ticket here and am looking for work!! Bugger all about it seems which is a right pain...Got any inside info?!
Cheers
Dan

Catch Mar 16th 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber (Post 7383321)
Well said - I totally agree - Catch does offer help and advice and also the truth, which is what we all want to hear anyway right?
Btw how are you mate? We've been in Perth now for 6 weeks - just done my gasIII ticket here and am looking for work!! Bugger all about it seems which is a right pain...Got any inside info?!
Cheers
Dan

sent you a pm dan:thumbup:

KateandPhil Mar 17th 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 7377906)
Gas fitter on "critical" skills list.That sounds a bit dodgy:huh:

Why do you think it sounds dodgy?

KateandPhil Mar 17th 2009 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by oz miller man (Post 7379868)
i think if you have a passion for the outdoors and playing in the ocean work can defiantly wait , got my padi but not done any diving for years and just started with the fishing but lived in cornwall for 3 years so got the basics of surfing out of the way, good job as the waves pack more of a punch than those of cayton bay , so had to ditch the mal and get to grips with a short board.
you can claim family tax credit straight away but not other benefits until you have been resident 2 years .
treat the first 2 years like a holiday its hard enough moving to the other side of the world but add the pressure of wanting your dream home with pool and ocean views , running your own plumbing business and brand new duel cab straight away is going to make you hate the place...because even if you come with shit loads of money its not going to happen...not in the plumbing game anyhow.
nah my advice is rent somewhere cheap as close to the beach as you can and enjoy the lifestyle.
you will get the dream home eventually, you will have the dream lifestyle as soon as you get off the plane

I think i will take your advice, so on that note get the tinny ready I've got the diving covered(well rescue diver anyway).And if you can get me a job bonus lol. Being doing my acops today and my lpg is booked in for next week so all going well. Cheers for the advice no doubt will be back for more in the mean time keep the beer on ice lol! Phil

oz miller man Mar 17th 2009 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 7389497)
I think i will take your advice, so on that note get the tinny ready I've got the diving covered(well rescue diver anyway).And if you can get me a job bonus lol. Being doing my acops today and my lpg is booked in for next week so all going well. Cheers for the advice no doubt will be back for more in the mean time keep the beer on ice lol! Phil

tinny`s ready and the creeks full of bream/whiting n mullet.
esky full of ice, shame theres no stonses or john smiths in it.

dont know if you have heard the news from over here plumbing, gasfitting and other building trades are to be taken off the skills in demand list......
dont think it will effect those with applications already in...but the door will be closing for plumbers soon

on a positive note theres been a nice 3ft wave at my local all week

DazBevo May 31st 2009 3:19 pm

hi Dan
where did you do your Gas 3 ticket ??
Daz B

Dan the Plumber Jun 11th 2009 7:46 am

Originally Posted by DazBevo (Post 7620636)
hi Dan
where did you do your Gas 3 ticket ??
Daz B

Hi Daz have Pm'd you too - did gas at Fremantle Tafe though I don't recommend it there they didn't seem to know what was going on!
Speak soon
Dan

KateandPhil Jun 11th 2009 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber (Post 7654583)
Hi Daz have Pm'd you too - did gas at Fremantle Tafe though I don't recommend it there they didn't seem to know what was going on!
Speak soon
Dan

Hi Dan.
Hope things are going well for you have you settled ok?
Have you found work yet? We are still waiting for our visas. Gas fitters still on the critical list although plumbers have been taken off. Has work started to pick up at all?
Thanks Phil

somersetaussi Jul 29th 2009 12:20 am

Hi Miller,
reading your story is like a mirror image of ours...
I am Aussi, but spent 15 yrs in UK. we traveled aus 10 yrs ago and fell preg in Byron Bay.. (our 9 yr old is called Byron)
My Hubby is a british City and Guilds, Corgi reg plumber with 20 yrs experience...

We have been here in aus now for 2 months.. down in Coffs. Can't get hold of bloody laid back TAFE to find out what this Australian Knowledge Gap training
is... Now looks like it's going to be 2 yrs at TAFE to get full licence!!

HOW can they advertise Plumbing on the skills in demand then not allow the plumbers that make it through to work????

why is there no Australia wide gap training course for Plumbers and sparkies who have had there skills assessed??

the Aussi plumbing is a peace of piss anyway!!!! not like they got central heating to deal with..

Looks like it's life on the dole for Nic... Can't believe they would rather pay the Dole than give a licence!!!

I wish someone had the full pathway to offer plumbers!! from applying in the UK to being fully licensed!! NOONE has this info!! no matter how many ph calls I make!!

No one wants a plumber with no license!! there is no work!!

OH went self employed 4 months before we left the UK.. sods law.. it was the first time he has earnt any decent money!! and by the look of it the last time for a while!!!

sorry to be so down but it is so frustrating and nobody gives you the truth!!!!
It was great to read ur post.. Nic was getting really low, now he's said well I'm not alone at least!!! what a gov cock up!!!
have they just forgotten to sort plumbers out???

anyway cheers for now

ronnie98 Jul 29th 2009 6:44 am

Originally Posted by somersetaussi (Post 7792962)
Hi Miller,
reading your story is like a mirror image of ours...
I am Aussi, but spent 15 yrs in UK. we traveled aus 10 yrs ago and fell preg in Byron Bay.. (our 9 yr old is called Byron)
My Hubby is a british City and Guilds, Corgi reg plumber with 20 yrs experience...

We have been here in aus now for 2 months.. down in Coffs. Can't get hold of bloody laid back TAFE to find out what this Australian Knowledge Gap training
is... Now looks like it's going to be 2 yrs at TAFE to get full licence!!

HOW can they advertise Plumbing on the skills in demand then not allow the plumbers that make it through to work????

why is there no Australia wide gap training course for Plumbers and sparkies who have had there skills assessed??

the Aussi plumbing is a peace of piss anyway!!!! not like they got central heating to deal with..

Looks like it's life on the dole for Nic... Can't believe they would rather pay the Dole than give a licence!!!

I wish someone had the full pathway to offer plumbers!! from applying in the UK to being fully licensed!! NOONE has this info!! no matter how many ph calls I make!!

No one wants a plumber with no license!! there is no work!!

OH went self employed 4 months before we left the UK.. sods law.. it was the first time he has earnt any decent money!! and by the look of it the last time for a while!!!

sorry to be so down but it is so frustrating and nobody gives you the truth!!!!
It was great to read ur post.. Nic was getting really low, now he's said well I'm not alone at least!!! what a gov cock up!!!
have they just forgotten to sort plumbers out???

anyway cheers for now

where are you in oz

somersetaussi Jul 29th 2009 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ronnie98 (Post 7793641)
where are you in oz

We are in Coffs Harbour in NSW. But have looked into things in Queensland and Vic as well...
The situation is not great here....
Unless you have a job to come to or are entitled to benefits here be prepared to live off your savings for a long time...

The provisional license that Vetassess give you is ok if you are lucky enough to find a job..
But all the jobs advertised nationwide want full license...

well lets hope the tide turns soon...
the fish are not even biting at the moment!!!
OH reckons it's a conspiracy!!!lol

On the plus the kids are loving school!!
not that little one can go to pre school at the moment..
no full gov funding here like in the UK... NSW pre school system is also very odd they have to go all day (and it is expensive especially when you are not working!!!!).... different to the rest of Aus, which is much more like UK 'sessions'.

Kids hols were great as leisure time was great! great bike rides, parks, BBQ's, pools and trips to the beach.. just what we were after!!

Just shame about the license issues!!! It brings moral down!! when you have been working your whole adult life 50-60 hrs a week, it is a gutter!!

oz miller man Aug 13th 2009 7:05 am

hi somerset.. nic
it is frustrating mate and your right about the nsw tafe not knowing whats going on, luckily i could go over the border into queensland and get my prov licences sorted and in queensland you can get on the full licence course, you still need 12 months work experience to gain the full licence and like you ive had no joy getting anyone to set me on with only a provisional.
ive applied for every job thats come up over the last six months (within 1hour travel) not even a reply from most and the ones that did reply want full licenced subbies.
only option for us would be to relocate to be near a big city...but were quite happy here in north nsw so ive decided to turn my back on the plumbing game and im going to uni to retrain....following in my partners footsteps im going to do my degree in nursing as theres no shortage of work, in any area and it pays better than a trade....going to be hard for the next 3 years but i cant stop on the dole forever..lol...be worth it in the end
i know of a sparky whos in the same boat and hes joining the police..
absolute crazy init.....they want quality tradesmen to relocate to the otherside of the world...then make it so hard for them to practice there trade once here
....conspiracy...you might be on to something..lol..
..stuff em.....the mrs on the otherhand can pick or choose when or where she works as her uk skills and experience are highly regarded.
i know a carear change isnt for everyone and not something i would have done unless in this predicament...but in the end i dont want to live back in sydney or go to brissy, the small semi rural coastal towns of nsw are where we would love to settle in australia ...just need the right skills/job.....

wish you the best in whatever you do...for me the tools are going in the creek...lol

007 kelvin Sep 28th 2009 7:10 am

Hi,
Just moved to oz and guess what i'm a plumber/heating engineer lucky
me!!!!!!!!!!! I have read all your posts and i thank you for the info it looks like im in for a long ride. I also live in NSW in a town called Ballina very quite no work around at the mo. Im of to Brisbane on thursday as they are holding a seminar for gas engineers from the uk they say that if i bring all my certs on that day they will apply for the gas licence for me. Just have to wait and see.

I am just in the process of sending off my application for a plumbing licence in brisbane due to your info, but will that mean i will have to work in bris for a year to get the full licence. I suppose if that is the case its better that 2 years in nsw.

Thanks again look forward to hearing from you.

kelvin

KateandPhil Sep 28th 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by 007 kelvin (Post 7970588)
Hi,
me!!!!!!!!!!! I have read all your posts and i thank you for the info it looks like im in for a long ride. I also live in NSW in a town called Ballina very quite no work around at the mo. Im of to Brisbane on thursday as they are holding a seminar for gas engineers from the uk they say that if i bring all my certs on that day they will apply for the gas licence for me. Just have to wait and see.

I am just in the process of sending off my application for a plumbing licence in brisbane due to your info, but will that mean i will have to work in bris for a year to get the full licence. I suppose if that is the case its better that 2 years in nsw.

kelvin

Hi Kelvin
Hope you have settled in ok in oz. We have just been issued our visa's at long last and coming over to oz in february. Like you my husband is a gasfitter/plumber with all upto date corgi (or gasafe as it is now) licences. We are coming over to brisbane and will be living in the bayside. This seminar sounds interesting. Would you message us back after thursday if you have any info that may be helpful to us?
Good luck hope things work out for you
Thanks Kate and Phil

ronnie98 Sep 28th 2009 8:59 am

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 7970785)
Hi Kelvin
Hope you have settled in ok in oz. We have just been issued our visa's at long last and coming over to oz in february. Like you my husband is a gasfitter/plumber with all upto date corgi (or gasafe as it is now) licences. We are coming over to brisbane and will be living in the bayside. This seminar sounds interesting. Would you message us back after thursday if you have any info that may be helpful to us?
Good luck hope things work out for you
Thanks Kate and Phil

Me Too please
thanks
Ronnie

oz miller man Sep 30th 2009 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by 007 kelvin (Post 7970588)
Hi,

kelvin

Ballina, just down the road from me...nice part of the world
should have no problem with getting the qld gas licence..be without lpg if you didnt have that in the uk
the guy who runs it is brit, and should have some contacts for gas work in brissy and the goldcoast, if you dont mind moving
once you get the qld gas licence, take it to the office of fair trade nsw to get recognised, get yourself a nsw gas supervisors cert
may get some work down your way with this or you could go on to get a contractors licence and set up by yourself

i was only looking for work from byron to tweed heads so didnt have much luck...or the money to set up myself as a gas man
lismore, ballina and even grafton might see you getting something...without the move to the hustle n bustle of brissy

the one year plumbing course in qld requires you to work supervised for a year getting work signed off.........like an apprentice, thats what put me off.
is the 2 years nsw just school work?...when i was looking into it lismore tafe wasnt doing the course

2 years night school for the nsw plumbing and work as a fully licenced gas fitter would be the way to go if you want to stop in nsw

keep posting.. like to know how you get on:thumbup:

pajones Jan 26th 2010 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber (Post 7654583)
Speak soon
Dan

Hi Dan, i don't know if you remember me i came back from WA in April 08.So your back in Perth,what was the gas course at Freo Tafe like then? just done my gas safe again in the uk.Not much work about here in Shropshire,very little building going on.Have been thinking of moving back out to oz, has the work not picked up out there yet?Cheers Paul:thumbsup

sparkylad Apr 29th 2010 9:15 pm

Enjoy reading your 'essay' lol..... i am corgi/gas safe, oftec the lot..... Worked in Geelong as a plumber (so to speak). found the standards and workmanship apalling. The local licensing board ignored what the fed gov and the TRA say. I felt a little hood winked by the aus government in all this. I am back in uk running my own Plumbing & Heating business. However are thinking of returning to Perth ? Is it easyier over there ? I like you work 60+hrs a week here, yes can lift £ 1000 -1500 a week but just knackerd no time for football & fishing etc lol..... Seems youve seen past the insult us British tradies face and got on with enjoy the sun !! well done.

Beretta682 May 22nd 2010 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by oz miller man (Post 7288654)
we first moved to oz in 2003 (sydney) as permanent residents through my partners job.
first thing i did was walk into hayes employment agency (as i had worked through them at various times in the uk) with my uk quals thinking this is going to be easy...
as we all know its not, and my uk city n guilds didnt mean a thing so off they were sent to the tra for assessment, this took 4 months and i was issued a nsw plumbing/draining/gasfiting certificate
in the meantime i had taken a job as a trades assistant working for one man n van subbie who had lost his driving licence drink driving. this gave me a taste of ozzie plumbing...not much to look forward to there im afraid..heaps of digging for drains, chasing pipes in walls, lugging oxy under house`s, red backs staring at you. 2n half hours unpaid travel to jobs and a great wage of $17 an hour im suprised i stuck it out the 3 months i did, but i did get to see how a subbie gets to work and prices to charge(his day rate was $380)
the tra certificate i was issued didt count for much and would only get me a tradesman certificate upon approval from nsw fair trading, and the year at night school tafe wanted was enough to put me off for good..infact it did ,not enough to go back to uk, but enough to do something else.
at the time foxtel digital had just kicked off, so i got into that, spent 5 grand getting van and tools reqd (a lot less than i would have needed to set up as a plumber), a weeks training then i was out on the road , bringing in $40 prh min.
the job was good and even got us out of sydney to the central coast where there was a shortage of installers, for 18 months all was good then the company who i subbed to lost the central coast contract so i was commuting back to sydney.
i then started looking for jobs local on the central coast and got a job changing water meters for gosford council as a subbie, no licences or plumbing quals reqd for this and a wage of $800-$1000 a week, lasted bout 3 months til contract ran out, there was more work coming up fitting water purifiers back in sydney, but we decided after 2 years in oz and having saved up a bit off cash(much easier to save over here) we were going to spend 6 months traveling up the east coast, so everything from the rental went into storage and we set off into the sunset with our 4x4.
after 3 months traveling we were up in byron and find out my partners expecting...well we did have no tv for 3 months.
as it was our first we decided to go back to the uk to the safety net of family. the 2 years we spent back to uk were a hard slog and we couldnt wait to return to oz.
we returned with our one year old son in march 2008 to the north nsw area we fell in love with traveling, the missus got a job straight away and ive been looking after the little one and sorting out my plumbing licences .
i found it a lot easier to do it in queensland and was issued with a pluming/draining provisional. and having kept my corgi uptodate a queensland full gas licence, these i swaped interstate to nsw and was issued a plumbing/draining tradesman certificate and gas supervisors certificate.
and with that i can get a subbie licence(gas only) or even branch out into other licences like pool building , lpg fitter or builder licence, all seem more apealing than the hoops n loops to go through to do plumbing over here, a job thats not as fun or rewarding as it in uk......i used to hate fitting combi`s everyday but its a lot more fun than digging miles of trenches in the red hot sun with a maddox and long handle shovel thing..
supose what im getting at is dont be put off moving to oz because of the plumbing hassles use your trade to get here then your knowledge as a tradesman to do something else that pays just the same because unless you go down the long expensive road to a full plumber/gasfitter/drainer licence your only going to get $25 prh on books.....$35 subbie.own van/tools/tax, no hols
a security guard gets almost that ??? and only has to turf a few oldies out of the bowling club when they close at 9.30pm.

oh another thing all these licences ive aquired the last year have all been paid for by centerlink.....because after been a resident for 2 years you get heaps of benifits...parenting alowence, rent rebate,free dental

Great story..............
I am in Florida and am returning home to the UK back to good ole plumbing,I would love to go to Aus as I have family in Perth but not sure about all those hoops.
Hope everything worked out.
Rick

bigyogz May 31st 2010 3:37 am

Originally Posted by oz miller man (Post 7288654)

Hi, i know it's been a long time since you posted this but i just thought i would ask some advice. i have just came over to brisbane and i'm having a hell of a time trying to get my trade recognised i'm also a plumbing and heating engineer with every thing up to date but i cant seem to get anywhere when trying to have my qualifications recognised here in Oz.i feel i cant get a job as much as i'm trying and i'm getting nowhere when calling tafe, tra and every other number i get passed to. do you know of any people i can try to get them recognised or do you know of anyone looking for an engineer with solar experience. i was vailant's engineer before i came out here. thanks john