Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Plumber gas fitter with 13 years experience from UK

Plumber gas fitter with 13 years experience from UK

Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:47 am
Just Joined

joedamms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumber gas fitter with 13 years experience from UK

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to Australia and the forum. I've been in Brisbane for 4 weeks, i'm on a 457 dependant visa, and looking to get into the plumbing industry here in Aus I was fully qualified in the UK with over 13 years experience in domestic plumbing and heating (i've realised the heating part is going to be irrelevent here in Aus!!). I don't need my skills recognised for my visa. What is the best way to go about this?? Trying to get a job with plumbers then trying to get my certs or the other way round?? Is it worth getting them at all or am I better off retraining altogether? Any help or advice would be gladly received.
Many Thanks
Joe Damms
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

jd24hrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plumber gas fitter with 13 years experience from UK

Originally Posted by joedamms
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to Australia and the forum. I've been in Brisbane for 4 weeks, i'm on a 457 dependant visa, and looking to get into the plumbing industry here in Aus I was fully qualified in the UK with over 13 years experience in domestic plumbing and heating (i've realised the heating part is going to be irrelevent here in Aus!!). I don't need my skills recognised for my visa. What is the best way to go about this?? Trying to get a job with plumbers then trying to get my certs or the other way round?? Is it worth getting them at all or am I better off retraining altogether? Any help or advice would be gladly received.
Many Thanks
Joe Damms
i wish you all the luck and best thing is to talk to plumbers
i hope they are more helpful than in NZ
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Don't write useless twaddle mate . He can talk with plumbers right here on BE.

These days there is plenty of quality, helpful info ref the NZ plumbing and gasfitting trade here. The bloke is looking to Australia anyway.

For others looking in and to ensure you understand my view on these latest little rants , I have posted to you HERE

To be very clear , much as I don't want to, if you make further posts like this, you may need to be rested from BE for your own sake as much as anyone else's. You've become stuck in a groove .
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:27 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joedamms
Hi Everyone,
Many Thanks
Joe Damms
for gas fitting qualifications its far quicker to use an rto ( registered training organization ) than tafe ( college )

for brissie id try biz-matrix i did my type a gas course with them last year and there was a scottish lad going through all he`s as he was corgi in uk but unrecognized here in au

http://www.bizmatrix.com.au/

good luck

steve
Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:57 am
Just Joined

sdel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe, I was in your position 8 years ago so I can relate to what you are going through.
You will need to contact the Plumbing Industry Council
Plumbing Industry Council
tel 1800 682 021
fax (07) 3012 9826
email [email protected]
mail PO Box 15027, City East QLD 4002
This is the governing body which now deals with all plumbing/draining licences.

You will have to contact the Department of Natural Resources and Mines for your gas licence

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
61 Mary Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000
PO Box 15216
CITY EAST QLD 4002
13 QGOV (13 74 68) business hours

If you have City & Guilds/NVQ in plumbing you will get a provisional licence only. You have to do the plumbing licence course to get a full licence which allows you to run your own business. If you have an up to date gas licence from the UK you may be asked to go for an interview to ascertain which licence they will give you . It's along frustrating road to go on but it's worth it in the end to live in paradise
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Spikey1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Shoot me your mob, I'm looking for a plumber for my bathroom Reno

Cheers
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:27 am
Just Joined

addloosta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi joe,
Ive just landed here in brisbane and in exactly the same state as you were. I was wondering how you got on? im just applying for my temporary plumbers and drainers licence at the minute, the mountain of paperwork they want is insane. Any info on what follows would be great.
Thanks , Adam