British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Nottingham LAD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/nottingham-lad-926002/)

Kuljittanda Jun 25th 2019 11:29 pm

Nottingham LAD

Hi friends, been in the process of moving from UK to Canada since January 2018 but having problems falling short of work hours as my lawyer said it might be 9000 hours to get UK certificates assessed in Canada. I have been a qualified and self employed domestic gas engineer with full ACS and plumber since 2015.
Any sort of help/advise will be appriecated.
Thanks in advance.

christmasoompa Jun 26th 2019 7:47 am

Re: Nottingham LAD

Hi, welcome to BE.

Why has it taken 18 months, what visa route are you going down? Why are you using a lawyer?

It is 9000 hours I'm afraid, there's no way around that. But whether you need provincial certification or can not bother with it will depend on the visa route, and whether you would be happy working as an apprentice in Canada once there?

Kuljittanda Jun 26th 2019 9:06 am

Hi Christmasoompa, thanks for your reply. We are going via express entry since i am a gas fitter and when i did an online survey in November 2017, my lawyer contacted me back and he said i qualified for express entry as a gas fitter but it's a long process.
So we still paid him to go ahead and guide us through the procedure. Since then it's one thing or another πŸ˜„. Now he says i have to wait till i have gethered enough proof on gas works. I am self employed only since 2015 and work is sometimes quiet.
I don't mind mind working as a 40 year old apprentice πŸ˜‚ but the game was to get the PR for Canada as per sitting in UK.
Don't know what other options i have left now apart from the waiting game.

christmasoompa Jun 26th 2019 9:08 am

OK. I'm sorry to say but I think your lawyer has misled you, it's not a long process at all, and annoyingly you'll have lost points since 2017 due to getting older. You should be living in Canada by now! And he should have told you back then that you wouldn't qualify for provincial certification until you had more hours. Unless you have complicated circumstances there's no need to use a lawyer, most people just do it themselves.

PR via EE takes 6 months on average, are you applying under the Federal Skilled Trade program and what is your CRS score? Do you have a spouse or is it just you applying? Do you have a job offer?

Kuljittanda Jun 26th 2019 10:57 am

Thanks for replying swiftly. Yes we are applying under federal skilled trade program.
I don't know my CRS score as my lawyer never mentioned that term to me.
I have a spouse and a 2 & a half year old son.
Wife used to work as an admin but has broken bits of experience from different jobs ( might not work ). So it's just me applying at the time.
I don't have a job offer as never tried to get one because i thought they would only hire Canadian licensed employees and would ask for Canadian gas ticket for proof.

christmasoompa Jun 26th 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Kuljittanda (Post 12703050)
I don't know my CRS score as my lawyer never mentioned that term to me.

Your CRS score is what will determine whether or not you get selected from the 'pool' of EE applicants and get invited to apply for PR. The higher the score, the better, generally the younger and more educated you are the higher you will score. Hence why it's a shame that your lawyer has left things so long as you will have lost points now due to getting a wee bit older.

You can check your point score yourself here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Originally Posted by Kuljittanda (Post 12703050)
Wife used to work as an admin but has broken bits of experience from different jobs ( might not work ). So it's just me applying at the time.

Might be worth checking her point score too to see if she'd score enough, although the points threshold for Federal Skilled Worker is higher than Federal Skilled Trade (last FSW draw was at 465, but last FST draw was at 332).

Which province are you looking to go to? And rather rude question, but how old is your wife?

Kuljittanda Jun 26th 2019 12:08 pm

Hi Christmasoompa, my lawyer was going to send my statutory declaration for submission to Technical Safety British Colombia a couple of months back but then he realised that the hours that i needed was 9000, so there was a good chance that the application could be turned down.
Originally he said last year that i only needed 3600 hours. So the case is just sitting on it just now.
We will check the score ourselves now.
Our favourite province is Toronto but the lawyer said BC is more candidate friendly, easier and quicker.
Wife is 35 in October.
​​​​​​​Thanks

Kuljittanda Jun 27th 2019 8:03 am

Hi Christmasoompa, just want to say thank you for all the information and help 😊. I learnt a lot.

christmasoompa Jun 27th 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Kuljittanda (Post 12703079)
Hi Christmasoompa, my lawyer was going to send my statutory declaration for submission to Technical Safety British Colombia a couple of months back but then he realised that the hours that i needed was 9000, so there was a good chance that the application could be turned down.

What's he been doing since 2017? And what does he mean by sending a stat dec to 'Technical Safety British Columbia'? They've got nothing to do with provincial certification, which is what you need for a FST app. I'm sorry, but it sound like your lawyer is utterly clueless! This is the process you need to follow - http://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentice...llenging-exams

Originally he said last year that i only needed 3600 hours. So the case is just sitting on it just now.

Got to say, I'd have got rid of him at this point. How can he get something so important so wrong?!?

We will check the score ourselves now.

What was the outcome?

Our favourite province is Toronto but the lawyer said BC is more candidate friendly, easier and quicker.

Toronto isn't a province, it's a city in Ontario. EE is a Federal system, is the lawyer referring to your provincial certification maybe?

Wife is 35 in October.

She's not by any chance got an Irish passport has she?

Kuljittanda Jun 27th 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12703440)
What's he been doing since 2017? And what does he mean by sending a stat dec to 'Technical Safety British Columbia'? They've got nothing to do with provincial certification, which is what you need for a FST app. I'm sorry, but it sound like your lawyer is utterly clueless! This is the process you need to follow - http://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentice...llenging-exams
She's just looked after the baby since though she wanted to go back to work. I think she will go back to work and maybe we can try again once she has enough solid experience.
Lawyer said he needed to get my UK qualification assessed from TSBC and get on an online red seal course or something but it's not gonna happen now since i don't have 9000 hrs on hand hence it's a full stop for me as i currently think. But will have a word with him against your info.

Got to say, I'd have got rid of him at this point. How can he get something so important so wrong?!?
Will speak to him when i get a chance.

What was the outcome?
Sorry, we didn't get a chance yet to check.

Toronto isn't a province, it's a city in Ontario. EE is a Federal system, is the lawyer referring to your provincial certification maybe?
Oh.. i meant to say Ontario, how can i get that wrong, i lived there for 9 months in 2001.
Not sure if the lawyer is, will ask him that too.

She's not by any chance got an Irish passport has she?

😊 no, she's got british passport.

christmasoompa Jun 27th 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Kuljittanda (Post 12703449)
😊 no, she's got british passport.

OK. And no Irish grandparents?

Kuljittanda Jun 27th 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12703450)
OK. And no Irish grandparents?

😊 no, our both families are Indians

christmasoompa Jun 27th 2019 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Kuljittanda (Post 12703452)
😊 no, our both families are Indians

OK, worth a try as it would have given you a fairly easy route over but not to worry.

So here is what I would do, I would sack your lawyer for negligence (seriously, s/he doesn't seem to have a clue about the process for a FST app) and just get it sorted yourself. When will you have the required amount of hours? Maybe you could job hunt in the meantime (doesn't have to be in the job you're in now) to see if you can by any chance find something which would mean you could apply without provincial certification, or look at other options such as provinces with an easier route in via a PNP, or perhaps a study permit.

Until you've checked your CRS scores, there's not really anything we can do to help you further, but you should be in Canada by now so I'd definitely get rid of your lawyer. Is he definitely a member of the Canadian bar?

Kuljittanda Jun 27th 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12703458)
OK, worth a try as it would have given you a fairly easy route over but not to worry.
WOW... i didn't know that...maybe i should adopt Irish grandparents then πŸ˜‚

So here is what I would do, I would sack your lawyer for negligence (seriously, s/he doesn't seem to have a clue about the process for a FST app) and just get it sorted yourself. When will you have the required amount of hours? Maybe you could job hunt in the meantime (doesn't have to be in the job you're in now) to see if you can by any chance find something which would mean you could apply without provincial certification, or look at other options such as provinces with an easier route in via a PNP, or perhaps a study permit.

Not sure the the full hours but got a feeling it could be another 2-3 years for full 9000 hours.
I want to stay in the same trade as i like it but will check if there is something else out there. At 1 point i was going to do Gas techician 3 and 2 in Toronto but even that takes 4.5 months to get a g2 licence which is not bad, that means i can then find a job in Ontario. But wife didn't insist as i am earning decent money being self employed here and it means i will loose all my contacts..

Until you've checked your CRS scores, there's not really anything we can do to help you further, but you should be in Canada by now so I'd definitely get rid of your lawyer. Is he definitely a member of the Canadian bar?

We will check CRS score asap and get back.
Will ask him if he is. He definately sounds American or Canadian though.
Thanks again Christmasoompa

christmasoompa Jun 27th 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kuljittanda (Post 12703501)
We will check CRS score asap and get back.
Will ask him if he is. He definately sounds American or Canadian though.
Thanks again Christmasoompa

Sounding American or Canadian doesn't mean anything! He must be a Canadian immigration lawyer, or a licensed consultant, to be advising you and charging for his services. Where is he based?

Kuljittanda Jun 27th 2019 1:29 pm

He's based here in the UK and sends people to Australia and Canada. Took almost 2 & a half grand from me and got us nowhere so far which is so annoying 😈

christmasoompa Jun 27th 2019 2:17 pm

Hmmmm. Only one male licensed immi consultant in the UK and I'm pretty sure he only does Canadian immigration. But perhaps he's a lawyer. Simple way to find out if he's a genuine or not here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...uthorized.html

Kuljittanda Jun 27th 2019 4:44 pm

Hi mate, is our conversation public? Can people see it?

spouse of scouse Jun 27th 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kuljittanda (Post 12703619)
Hi mate, is our conversation public? Can people see it?

Yes. BE is an open forum so not only members can read posts, anyone can.

Kuljittanda Jun 27th 2019 6:09 pm

Ok Christmasoompa, i will do some checks and get back in touch with you. You are a star.
Thanks again for everything 😊